Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Football XRC set

for some reason i've always been interested in pre rookie card especially if it was from a league other than the NFL. i'm sure i'm missing some older ones.. but these were the top XRC that i could think of off the top of my head

1971 O-Pee-Chee Cfl 13 Joe Theismann
1983 Jogo Cfl Limited N/A Warren Moon
1984 Topps Usfl 36 Jim Kelly
1984 Topps Usfl 38 Ricky Sanders
1984 Topps Usfl 52 Steve Young
1984 Topps Usfl 58 Reggie White
1984 Topps Usfl 74 Herschel Walker
1985 Topps Usfl 49 Gary Clark
1985 Topps Usfl 80 Doug Flutie
1991 Pro Set Wlaf 143 Jason Garrett
1991 All-World Cfl 92 Raghib Ismail
1995 Jogo Cfl 8 Jeff Garcia
1995 Jogo Cfl 137 Joe Horn
1995 Iowa Barnstormers Team Issue 13 Kurt Warner

here are a few but just NFL pre rookies
1986 Mcdonald's Eagles 12 Randall Cunningham
1988 Burger King 2 Emmitt Smith
1988 Kenner Starting Lineup N/A Rod Woodson

i'd be interested to know any i've missed..

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Do you count food and regional issues?

1961 Lake to Lake Packers has several pre-rookies.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Like the idea. I'd add:

1961 Nu Card Ernie Davis
    1982 Oneonta Yankees John Elway
    1995 Bowman Chris Weinke
    1996 Best Piedmont Boll Weevils Ricky Williams

There's quite a few more, including other '61 Nu Cards, but those are the ones I can think of now.

And for the third time dude, the '83 Moon is NOT his official pre-rookie card. It's a cool card, and it's worth more than the '81 Jogo, but it just aint his first card. Do you discount all the '69 and '70 Topps basketball rookies because they're oversized? Don't go by what you own. Go by the true first issues. Heck, Moon had 2 cards in '81 including the Red Rooster perforated one.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    fine fine... 81 jogo is his rookie... is his 83 jogo part of any sets? any 3rd year xrc sets out there?? ha.. i can't believe i forgot the 82 elway card thats a good one
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    How about 1986 McDonald Bruce Matthews?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Some other xrc's include:

1960 Kahns Willie Davis on the Browns before he made his way to the Packers and a HOF career.

1959 Kahns Gene Hickerson

1962 Post Bob Lilly
    1962 Post Larry Wilson
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

also.....1926 Spalding Ernie Nevers and Benny Friedman
    1946 Sears Browns Otto Graham, Frank Gatski, and Dante Lavelli
    1950 Felt Back Ernie Stautner and Lou Creekmur
    1950 Admiral Rams Norm VanBrocklin

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    1935 Wheaties Don Hutson.
  • Options

<< <i>1935 Wheaties Don Hutson. >>

Does PSA grade those?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    no, they do not..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Eagles - I have the Joe Horn card in PSA 9 (it's a pop 1/1 with no 10's) if you're interested.
  • Options
    I almost forgot..........I have most all the above cards mentioned scans saved. I can think of 3 that I am missing.

BTW....I only saved Hall of Famers

1. 1946 Sears Frank Gatski...... ( I will be owning this card very soon and I'll get a scan up)
    2. 1959 Kahn's Gene Hickerson ( I currently own this card but am too lazy to scan it)
    3. 1960 Kahns Wille Davis

If anyone has any other hall of famers that I don't have, please send me a scan...

*********Disclaimer********** Almost all the scans here are stolen....... If some of the cards are your's........Sorry image

Link to Hall of Fame "Pre-Rookies"

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    cool scans.. alot of very cool cards.. obviously i'm in the minority.. but these cards have to be much more scares than their topps/bowman rookies.. i think these types of cards are very under valued. maybe they will start to gain some popularity as they are added to psa sets ect..

i have joe horn.. but would be interested in garcia
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>cool scans.. alot of very cool cards.. obviously i'm in the minority.. but these cards have to be much more scares than their topps/bowman rookies.. i think these types of cards are very under valued. maybe they will start to gain some popularity as they are added to psa sets ect..

i have joe horn.. but would be interested in garcia >>

Well, it will be interesting to see how PSA handles these cards as far as the Registry goes. They have stated pretty clearly that any card used in a "Rookie" type set MUST be listed in the Beckett Ultimate Rookie Card Encylopedia. Of all the cards discussed, only the USFL ones are listed in it, and yes the book does include cards considered XRC's by Beckett's definition.

They might go for an all XRC only set though....

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Found another on ebay............only $449 !!!!

1968 Corn Flakes Larry Csonka...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Well, it will be interesting to see how PSA handles these cards as far as the Registry goes. They have stated pretty clearly that any card used in a "Rookie" type set MUST be listed in the Beckett Ultimate Rookie Card Encylopedia. Of all the cards discussed, only the USFL ones are listed in it, and yes the book does include cards considered XRC's by Beckett's definition. >>

Since this will be a PRE-rookie set, I highly doubt PSA will have any issues with it. They have no guidelines set up for pre-rookie cards. The only possible issue I can forsee would be the inclusion of the USFL cards, since they are already used in rookie card sets. Personally I would exclude the USFL cards from this set. It should really be for more oddball-type stuff.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, it will be interesting to see how PSA handles these cards as far as the Registry goes. They have stated pretty clearly that any card used in a "Rookie" type set MUST be listed in the Beckett Ultimate Rookie Card Encylopedia. Of all the cards discussed, only the USFL ones are listed in it, and yes the book does include cards considered XRC's by Beckett's definition. >>

Since this will be a PRE-rookie set, I highly doubt PSA will have any issues with it. They have no guidelines set up for pre-rookie cards. The only possible issue I can forsee would be the inclusion of the USFL cards, since they are already used in rookie card sets. Personally I would exclude the USFL cards from this set. It should really be for more oddball-type stuff. >>

I agree, that's probably the angle that could work. If it's multi-sport (like the Elway baseball card) I wonder where they will list it? Under Misc sets?

The other issue will be, how will they verify which cards belong and which don't? I guess they can just take the requestors word for it, but what if the guy requesting it uses the 1983 Moon as discussed above? I don't see a recourse for fixing it. That's why they ended up using the Beckett book for guidance, because of all of the discrepancies/disagreements that were going on in the rookie sets.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    1964 Kahn's Paul Warfield
    1969 Glendales; Upshaw, Lanier,Houston,Simpson and several others along with 1972 Sunoco stamps.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    altaeriaaltaeria Posts: 8 ✭✭

2001 Topps XFL - Mike Furrey
    regular issue card and Endzone Autograph card.

(He led the NFC in receptions with the Detroit Lions in 2006)

1992 Wild Card World League - Scott Mitchell
    regular issue and 5,10,20,50,100,1000-stripe cards!

(He passed for over 4,000 yds with 32 TDs for the Lions in 1995)

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    1985 USFL Sam Mills

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    1979 Coca Cola Saints Wes Chandler
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Also, does that even take into consideration the cards that appear of a player that aren't solely of that player that are before the rookie? For example, the 1982 Brock brothers card of linemen Pete Brock and Stan Brock, which is a regular part of the Topps set. Yet, the 1983 card is his rookie.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    ndwsndws Posts: 132 ✭✭
    1961 National City Bank Len Dawson in a Browns uni. Not for sure if PSA even grades it, but I sure would like to have one around that psa6 level....of course, if I fell into one even higher, I wouldn't complain either.
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Along the lines of Theismann and Moon - you could add 1960 OPC CFL Joe Kapp to the list. I believe that is his CFL rookie.