Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Now Topping Out?

As the old saying goes............when every Joe Shmo starts talking about and wants in, the top is about in

I work as a stockbroker and have for over 14 yrs, and today for the first time ever I actually had 2 seperate clients call ME and ask if I think they should start buying gold bullion and how to do it. Then later in the day another broker in the office asked me where he can buy 1 oz. Krugerrands and what's a good price.

The last time I had clients calling me and asking me about "hot investments" was in late '99 or so when a few normally conservative clients asked me if they should start buying internet related stocks.

I'm still a gold bull though, and hope this time is different.

Comments

• Options
    isn't that the start of a bull not the end?
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't met a single person in the last 18 months or so who is buying gold as a hot investment. They're buying to protect assets.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    i think their have to be buyers before it runs
    just when everyone is buying you sell
    just my thoughts!!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't met a single person in the last 18 months or so who is buying gold as a hot investment. They're buying to protect assets. >>

Agreed. From what I've seen the flippers are out and those thinking they are being prudent are still in.
  • Options
    I think there is potential for a gold bubble, your experience today reinforces that theory and if it turns out to be the case, then there is still a long ways to go.
  • Options

<< <i>As the old saying goes............when every Joe Shmo starts talking about and wants in, the top is about in

I work as a stockbroker and have for over 14 yrs, and today for the first time ever I actually had 2 seperate clients call ME and ask if I think they should start buying gold bullion and how to do it. Then later in the day another broker in the office asked me where he can buy 1 oz. Krugerrands and what's a good price.

The last time I had clients calling me and asking me about "hot investments" was in late '99 or so when a few normally conservative clients asked me if they should start buying internet related stocks.

I'm still a gold bull though, and hope this time is different. >>

A stock broker who's a Gold bug??? What an oxymoron that is, stock brokers never recomend Gold or Silver to their clients as they don't generate income like they do from mutual fund fees or stock trades.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>isn't that the start of a bull not the end? >>

Exactly. How else do bull runs start? image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that well less then 1% of Americans own any form of gold bullion.............Anyone have this stat?

I had a friend interview over one hundred people in NYC and not one person said they have ever held a real gold coin

EVERYONE I talk to thinks gold is going down......They have been saying this since $600

Granted, I run with a Wall St crowd

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go on a one-day road trip and leave the market to you people, and LOOK what happens!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    <<< A stock broker who's a Gold bug??? What an oxymoron that is, stock brokers never recomend Gold or Silver to their clients as they don't generate income like they do from mutual fund fees or stock trades >>>

Yes, definately! I've been an avid and serious coin collector and die hard gold bug loooooong before my employment in the securities industry, and my recommendations to my clients are based on whatever I think will do well for them.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I hear people complaining around the office that they didn't buy gold. I don't see them buying yet. It has a ways to go using this contrarian indicator (which I like and use) . --Jerry
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you say it's topping out? It established a new all time high today.

Real estate was red hot (not just hot) for 2 years before it crashed. Same with tech stocks 99-00. Gold will have its 1-2 years of red hot, and they are starting now.
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Im sticking with my expectation for 1300.
  • Options
    I hear people complaining around the office that they didn't buy gold. I don't see them buying yet. It has a ways to go using this contrarian indicator (which I like and use) . --Jerry

If that's what they're saying, they still don't get it, and might not ever understand what the dollar is, what fiat means, or why in the world they would ever want to buy gold - at yesterday's price, today's price, or even tomorrow's price.

They don't get it. They equate gold to the stock market and a "hot stock". Quick returns - that's the name of the game, right?

NOT!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I note that the XAU still has not topped its peak in March, 2008 even though gold is much higher. What does this mean?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess is that well less then 1% of Americans own any form of gold bullion.............Anyone have this stat?

I had a friend interview over one hundred people in NYC and not one person said they have ever held a real gold coin

EVERYONE I talk to thinks gold is going down......They have been saying this since $600

Granted, I run with a Wall St crowd

MJ >>

i bet during the last bull run of gold the same general stats were true
    also.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> note that the XAU still has not topped its peak in March, 2008 even though gold is much higher. What does this mean? >>

It means that gold is either overpriced or silver is underpriced. image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I note that the XAU still has not topped its peak in March, 2008 even though gold is much higher. What does this mean? >>

It means equity investors in mining stocks are not convinced the upmove in gold has any staying power.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I note that the XAU still has not topped its peak in March, 2008 even though gold is much higher. What does this mean? >>

It means equity investors in mining stocks are not convinced the upmove in gold has any staying power. >>

Shorts getting a bit tight?

• Options

It means the naked shorts in mining shares are still alive and well.
  • Options

<< <i>

It means the naked shorts in mining shares are still alive and well. >>

Actually short interest in mining shares is very, very small.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Actually short interest in mining shares is very, very small. >>

How can you tell? They're naked shorts. Naked means no transparency-- shorting shares that don't exist.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Actually short interest in mining shares is very, very small. >>

How can you tell? They're naked shorts. Naked means no transparency-- shorting shares that don't exist. >>

Prove to me there is naked short selling.image

• Options
    Prove to me there is naked short selling.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get me.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other banks hammered Lehman, Bear, and Morgan Stanley with naked short selling. They did the same with gold stocks last fall when they sent them back to levels not seen since 2002-2004. Ask JS about naked short selling the junior stocks. It has been one of the favorite pastimes of the big banks and hedge funds.

I note that the XAU still has not topped its peak in March, 2008 even though gold is much higher. What does this mean?

Usually gold stocks lead the charge. Those guys haven't made it back to intermediate peaks made in the last few months. Bearishness in the overall SM has dampened the enthusiasm for the miners. Bearish and bullish forces (inflation vs. deflation) are meeting head on over the next week. Gold can survive either scenario but silver and mining stocks can't. An intermediate topping out of gold the end of this week or early this week would not be totally unexpected after a major run-up for 11 months and making a new all time high. The last big breather was in March-April.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold