Home Precious Metals
Options

Through the roof. Where do you want it to stop?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you really want to see gold at $3000 an ounce? Wouldn't that mean very, very bad things for most western governments?

So what's your comfort level? What range would mean solid gains for you without massive insecurity for the rest of your portfolio?

I'd be happy if it stayed in the $1200 range. More than that I'll start to worry.
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Weiss, governments are in business for themselves these days, and not the people. Without the Second Amendment, this would be a dictatorship. Gold at 30,000 an oz - I want the crooks
    out of business.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    $30,000oz. and every thing you buy to be stamped~ Made In the USA
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I Would prefer it take a U Turn along with all other metals.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Through the roof. Where do you want it to stop? >>

Somewhere around the top of the chimney would be nice.image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $8k,
    bad things are in store for western gov'ts...mainly the US. Seems that everyone is gunning for us.
    Unless decisions du jour change our path is unsustainable.
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Where do I want it to stop? Hmmm.

In 1980, gold was at $850 an ounce and I was paying about a dollar a gallon for gas.

Today, I pay $3.08 a gallon for regular (but I use premium) and gold is about $1,080 as I write this.

If gold kept pace with gas, gold today should be $2,550.

So a price of $2,550 would only keep pace with gasoline inflation. We survived a tripling of gas prices... we should survive a tripling of gold prices.

Frankly gold is not a barometer of danger. Gold is just a commodity.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Frankly gold is not a barometer of danger. Gold is just a commodity. >>

Without question. But gold isn't rising in a vacuum. There are myriad world events coalescing. If gold hit $2,000 an ounce, what would the dollar be worth? $.06?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Without the Second Amendment, this would be a dictatorship >>

Agree whole heartedly. They are working on it though.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Our guns or our gold which first?

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Frankly gold is not a barometer of danger. Gold is just a commodity. >>

Without question. But gold isn't rising in a vacuum. There are myriad world events coalescing. If gold hit $2,000 an ounce, what would the dollar be worth? $.06? >>

1/2000 of an ounce of gold.
    Paul
  • Options
    Yes, PM s are commodities. They are a source to diversify one's porfolio and hold a real asset. Everyone should be DIVERSIFIED! Would welcome gold at 2K or 3K. My 2 sons are done with college, fortunately working, and I'm telling them to buy silver. They can't afford gold but as gold rises so does silver.

Here is the BIG question ...... When (not if) gold reaches 2K do you sell and take profit? Where would you invest that profit? Or do you hold gold forever as a asset?
  • Options

When (not if) gold reaches 2K do you sell and take profit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be taking some profits at $1200 or before. Barring a 9/11 or Cat 5 hurricane situation, $2K gold is many years away.

A $1300 peak in cycle is likely, probably within a year but I really believe we'll see $600 again in 2 or 3 years.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the BIG question ...... When (not if) gold reaches 2K do you sell and take profit? Where would you invest that profit? Or do you hold gold forever as a asset? >>

Not as an assest, but as wealth insurance.

keep 10% of your total assets in gold as insurance at all times minimum

Any excess can be traded

Just my strong opinion...............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I want Gold to trade at $5,000 an oz. because then my Silver would be worth between $100 and 150 an oz. making me a multi-millionare!!!imageimage
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really want to see gold at $3000 an ounce? Wouldn't that mean very, very bad things for most western governments?

As MoneyLA already alluded to, the pog really doesn't have a bearing on anything except as a reflection on the confidence in the nation's currency. In the 1970's the pog went up 25X and the US dollar survived quite well. Why should we expect massive changes at $2000 or $3000 or even $5000 gold? If the US keeps on finding ways to keep it's inflationary forces overseas the dollar could remain stable. The dollar falling by 1/2 to 2/3 from current levels would probably mean pog in the $2000-$5000 range. And the economy will continue to manage.

What $3000/oz means is poor confidence and management of the US dollar. Gold is nothing more than a mirror of what is going on with the currency. Fix the currency issues and gold goes back to sleep until the next time the alarm trip wire is sounded. Very bad things have been lining up for Western Govt's for the past 40 years of financial and economic abuse. They're already cooked into the stew. Now it's just a matter of watching it play out. Going into the shop for a 40 year "tune-up" to the financial system is a tad too late. The car is almost out of gas, the crankcase has been running 3-4 quarts low on oil, and the breaks wore out about 5 yrs ago. At least it got a new exhaust system with quiet mufflers a few years back to keep the rumblings to a minimum and a $350 paint job for the exterior.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Our guns or our gold which first?

That would be a great topic for a new thread!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options

<< <i>
    In 1980, gold was at $850 an ounce and I was paying about a dollar a gallon for gas.

Today, I pay $3.08 a gallon for regular (but I use premium) and gold is about $1,080 as I write this.

If gold kept pace with gas, gold today should be $2,550.

So a price of $2,550 would only keep pace with gasoline inflation. >>

This is incorrect! $850 was gold peak! You should use the average which is about $300 - $400. If gold supposed to keep pace with gas, it should be about $900 - $1,200 today, so currently $1,080 is about right!

I knew some big players were hoarding all the gold; and I was right! The IMF was one of them. This 400 tons of gold they wanted to sell was only 1/8 of their holdings, which means (after the sale) they still have a massive 2,800 tons of gold. Obviously, the IMF itself did not believe in the dollar or any other paper currencies! And now India and China have joined the club! Well, you and I will do well if we stop hoarding the dollar ourselves.

• Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Im sticking with the expectation that gold will soon hit 1300
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Eh, well, they used to say $30/bbl oil would cause a recession, too, but it didn't and neither did $40, $50, or $60. So I don't think $3000 gold would matter to the globe.