Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry set for player/manager combination

I've always collected Bobby Cox cards and also bought a few Joe Torre and Lou Pinella raw cards recently with the intent on having them graded and perhaps starting some registry sets for all 3. I got an email from custy service today saying that they don't allow combo sets for player / managers. I do realize that managers are far far less popular among collectors than players are. That being said, I do know that people collect both Cox and Torre even though the following may be small. Anyone else have an opinion on this? And yes, I had 5 graded cards before submitting the set request.
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Yikes, remind me not to use that scanner ever again.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Solid Gold, Terry. Solid Gold.

I wonder if Bobby frequently chewed out the umps in Venezuela too?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    They won't even do manager sets, so good luck getting combined career sets (I'm working on a few myself too).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>They won't even do manager sets, so good luck getting combined career sets (I'm working on a few myself too).

Nick >>

Doesn't make any sense for PSA to NOT do manager sets if collectors are requesting them.

• Options

<< <i>Doesn't make any sense for PSA to NOT do manager sets if collectors are requesting them. >>

I agree. Weaver, Stengel, Cox, etc. They would be a lot of fun to collect.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Doesn't make any sense for PSA to NOT do manager sets if collectors are requesting them. >>

That policy is of a piece with the one not recognizing Fleer or Donrss sets. I wouldn't really care if they didn't recognize so many really silly sets instead.
  • Options
    Exchanged some emails with PSA today. We might have some traction with the whole "manager" set idea. They don't want to combine player / manger, but perhaps manager-only sets will fly. They asked for a sample composite of manager-only for Cox to get an idea of how many cards may be involved. I'll let you know how this turns out.

-Michael

• Options
    If you manage to get this ball rolling, I have dibs on Weaver.
    Feisty as heck. Rippin' up the rule book was one of the all time funniest baseball moments.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    PSA is now open for business when it comes to manager sets. As long as you own 2 manager cards and provide the cert #'s along with a larger potential composite, they may go along with it. Got an email from BJ this afternoon that the Bobby Cox manager set is officially on the "to be added" list. Sweet!

• Options
    Wonderful.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is great. I would like to see a Sparky Anderson set get started.
  • Options
    Maybe a Pete Rose manager set?????
  • Options
    I see the Cox sets are now online.

Edited for grammerrr.

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    image I see PSA added the Bobby Cox Manager Basic and Master set to the registry!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options

<< <i>image I see PSA added the Bobby Cox Manager Basic and Master set to the registry! >>

Yes, I was quite pleased to see this. Now, I need to start subbing my raw stuff and get this thing built. I hope others are planning to register sets for Cox as well. Shame we waited until his last season :>

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone should request the '78 (with the airbrushed pic.) I didn't see it listed in either set's composition.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just stumbled upon this old thread. While the manager sets are up and running, is there possibility yet for combined player/mgr/coach sets? Would PSA ever consider allowing adding manager cards such as Yogi Berra, Ed Mathews, or coach cards such as Ernie Banks or Warren Spahn, to player registries? I've got more graded than those but they seem like some prime examples. Thanks.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to make complete sense that a player who later becomes a manager should have ALL his cards in one (Master) set. Certainly not a HUGE issue, but there are some pretty good players that were also prett good managers. Yogi and Torre come to mind.

Simply stop his set after he retires and restart it when his manager cards begin. In the case of a player/manager or player going right from the field to the managers job no interruption is necessary.

See how simple things can be?

Anything I've missed?

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    So, any chance at all of getting this to happen, or is it too futile to pursue?
  • Options

<< <i>Seems to make complete sense that a player who later becomes a manager should have ALL his cards in one (Master) set. Certainly not a HUGE issue, but there are some pretty good players that were also prett good managers. Yogi and Torre come to mind.

Simply stop his set after he retires and restart it when his manager cards begin. In the case of a player/manager or player going right from the field to the managers job no interruption is necessary.

Anything I've missed?

Joe >>

I don't think it makes any sense to combine player and manager sets. I would be completely against having having new cards of Mattingly as a manager added to his master set. I collect his playing year cards. Him as a Yankee. I do not collect him as the Dodger's manager. If people want to collect both they can and there can be a second set made for him as a manager. There is no need to fundamentally change the player sets which have been around for ten years.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Seems to make complete sense that a player who later becomes a manager should have ALL his cards in one (Master) set. Certainly not a HUGE issue, but there are some pretty good players that were also prett good managers. Yogi and Torre come to mind.

Anything I've missed?

Joe >>

I don't think it makes any sense to combine player and manager sets. I would be completely against having having new cards of Mattingly as a manager added to his master set. I collect his playing year cards. Him as a Yankee. I do not collect him as the Dodger's manager. If people want to collect both they can and there can be a second set made for him as a manager. There is no need to fundamentally change the player sets which have been around for ten years. >>

Of course there's PLENTY of reasons to change player sets. Additions are made all the time. This is really no different, unless PSA creates a new catagory.

Seems absurd to have two seperate sets of the same player, just because he went from player to manager.

How about if the Yankees would have made him player/manager for a year or two at the end of his career? What would your opinion be if he was then just managing the Yankees?

I collect Killebrew and I HATE it that his last card as a player has him with Kansas City, but it belongs in his Master set. I would say that every card issued as a Major League player, coach or manager should go into the players Master set. If you don't like that, collect his basic set.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>So, any chance at all of getting this to happen, or is it too futile to pursue? >>

I have had MANY things requested turned down by PSA. In an example like this, if they have made up their minds, you don't have much of a chance of getting them to change.

You never know though, I think they revisit some of these requests on a yearly basis.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>

Of course there's PLENTY of reasons to change player sets. Additions are made all the time. This is really no different, unless PSA creates a new catagory.

Seems absurd to have two seperate sets of the same player, just because he went from player to manager.

How about if the Yankees would have made him player/manager for a year or two at the end of his career? What would your opinion be if he was then just managing the Yankees?

I collect Killebrew and I HATE it that his last card as a player has him with Kansas City, but it belongs in his Master set. I would say that every card issued as a Major League player, coach or manager should go into the players Master set. If you don't like that, collect his basic set.

Joe >>

Yes, master sets have added cards but there has been no major changes to the definition of the master sets. All card additions to the master sets have been completely consistent with how the master sets were defined almost 10 years ago.

My opinion would not change if Mattingly was managing the Yankees. Too me, having manager cards added to the master sets would be the same as adding any post playing year cards to the master sets. I would be completely against it. In the past there has been almost unanimous opposition from player collectors on the registry to adding post playing year cards to the player sets despite there not being being any sets for post playing year cards. Manager cards can be registered in a manager set and that is where they belong.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Manager cards can be registered in a manager set and that is where they belong. >>

That's your opinion. I disagree, if I collected Yogi Berra, I would want both his cards as a player and a manager and would want them in one set.

Joe
  • Options
    I tend to agree with Alfiewt that it would be awkard to adjust a player's basic or master player set with new manager cards. The Mattingly example is pretty striking. If I were invested in that set, there is no way, I'd want current-era Dodgers stuff in the composite.

I think having a Manager-Only set, in the Bobb Cox example, was the correct decision.

I would also support a combo player-manager set that would not interfere with collector's such as Alfiewt who don't want both.

• Options
    I agree with mcadams. A separate category of combined playing + managing/coaching career sets is the way to go - and for other sports too.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree with mcadams. A separate category of combined playing + managing/coaching career sets is the way to go - and for other sports too.

Nick >>

Exactly. What's wrong with having a player set, a manager set , AND a player/manager set? It's not like you can't put the same card(s) in multiple sets,right?
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    The funny thing about this discussion is you have to have defined rules one way or the other, but if you went case by case it would be different. For example I agree that you don't need to add a bunch of cards to mattingly's master set for every coaching stop he makes. On the other hand I think all Rose managing cards belong in the master set. There would be no need to have a master set of Francona if you only have his playing days. So in a case by case most of us would agree, but you need hard fast rules. You could have a separate master set for playing days and a player+manager master set. This is the same way they do bo jackson, you can do 3 different master set each sport separately or the combined master set.
  • Options
    I agree w/ the 3 options of player, coach/manager, and player + coach/manager. The Bo Jackson example is a very interesting point to bring up on this topic.