Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

75 mini question and offer to buy

hi, just got some of my new passion cards in and have a question...i have many psa cards in reg size holders, some with penny plastics in holders and some holders that fit cards the correct way... is this a common thing??? now onto more stuff, looking for cards to finish this set...need about 600 more (lol) so could use 7 or8's for commons and minor stars, whichever i could get the cheapest on....already got most of the hall of fame cards and they are great centered 8's...out of the big stars i think i need palmer, yaz,schmidt, and then i think i am set for all the big boys,....if you have some to sell or have big lots, just put together a checklist of what i have, so any lists and prices, please pm me or email at jivan13@optonline.net... thaks you guys for all your valuable help and info... this is gonna be fun.. ivan
always looking for 1969 graded basketball

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Ivan, yes the plastic penny sleeves within the slab is common. Or at least it was for a time. In my opinion they don't look great in them but I guess it kept the minis from shifting within the holder so that's a good thing.

Good luck with the rest of your set. You're already almost 10% there!
  • Options
    I have been off the board for a month (or two) and found your post today. My wife has undergone a year of breast cancer treatment and reconstuction and yesterday the surgeon showed scans that suggest more 'suspect" tissue on the other side. This on the heals of being "cured" of the initial find. If its anything significant it means another year of treatment and with that about $30 to 40K in losses to my family, Hence, everything will be for sale.

I'll update the nearly 100 cards I have yet to add to my set and once done, the whole set is for sale. Call it a lot buy by best offer. There will be about 400 total cards and I may elect to save aside a couple cards (Ryan #500 for instance). Give me through the weekend...

Contact info: sbtrailrider@yahoo.com

Scott
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm sorry to hear about your wife, Scott! I hope they are able to treat her cancer aggressively. That sounds like a lot for medical expenses. Do you guys have medical insurance?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Scott,

So sorry to hear about your wife's relapse. In the past, Scott and I have PM'd one another, as our wive's were going thru the same crap. I too had to sell most of my collection to help pay the bills. Sure, there are times that I miss what I had, but you can still STAY IN THE GAME by collecting less expensive items. I started a couple of raw sets and also began my TTMs, which have kept me very busy.

Please know that your wife and your entire family will be in my prayers. If you ever need to vent, I'm just a PM away.

GOD BLESS.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Scott was a big help to me in building my 75 mini set. I second what Doug said. You and you're wife are in my prayers as well. Sorry to hear about all that.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Yes we have insurance but lost time from work counts as a "cost" in my book as that is the lion's share of the cost of medical treatment. BTW - without insurance the bill would have been over 100K. Not having med insurance is nuts given the cost of surgery and lab work these days.

I started the minis b/c I had some from my youth and they are a lower budget set, but the values go up as one moves up in quality, and this set is fraught with miscuts, fisheyes, shortcuts, color blems, etc, as you all know so well. This makes it a challege to put together the set in 8 and 9. Those who venture into the 10's are holding rare cards, even if this set is a borderline "modern" set. I was so bummed some subs came back a 9's instead of 10. I feel the graders are super critical this past year on the mini's. Are they making up for loose standards from the past or just setting the bar and sticking with a high standard? I hope it's the latter so values will be preserved.

And, so much for the REA treasure trove of 9's and 10's. Why the low numbers? My guess is that some are holding back, but mostly that the cards can't meet the current PSA standards. Jim pulled some great commons because he knew to look for rare and often miscut cards that came in correct at the expense of the rest of the box (green / yellow for example). That's just making good on his knowledge and taking a risk that most would not. For this reason I think it's fair to say the % will stay low for the 10's, especially.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    OK, I added the cards that I had graded this summer. The set is now at #19 overall (back on the front page...) at 60% complete and just a tad over 8.00.

Looking for set buyer. I have some nice low pop 9's in there, too.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    Anymore reasonably priced help here?????
  • Options
    OK, since no one has interest or wants to pay more than 1/2 of grading fees for 8's, I'll get to keep me collection for a bit longer... I see nothing wrong with a well centered card with solid color that grades an 8 instead of a faded or marginally centered 9 like you'll find on Ebay most of the time.

So is the market really dead for this set? Anyone want to fill in the gaps for my set? I added a few more certs for some older subs and added 4 MVP cards from a lot deal. I love the chase of building the set, only I can't go whole hog given my situation.

I set up a second set of doubles that are available - Take 2 minis - so feel free to offer trades in exchange for one that I do not have in the California Mini's set. Any one interested in an old fashioned card for card swap? PSA 7 - 8 - 9 for like condition cards. It's probably the most equitable way to fill in the commons.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    Hey Scott,

I may have a few doubles to trade. I'll check this evening or tomorrow if I get a chance.

I've seen alot of action on ebay with this set, so I don't think it's dead. As for myself, I've really backed off the set only because I completed it in graded and raw form a few months ago. I never intended to build this set in graded form, but ended up with about 100 or so graded cards out of the full 660-card set. I pretty much have all the stars/HOFers/etc. graded except for the Killebrew.

I still look for nice raw cards at shows and will continue to purchase them. This set is alot of fun.
  • Options
    Scott: I have a couple that you need. PM sent.
  • Options

<< <i>Anymore reasonably priced help here????? >>

I would prefer to deal with board members if possible before going the ebay/other route.. still need about 100 more cards in 7/8's nq if ya got any.. thanks, ivan
  • Options
    Jivan: PM sent
  • Options
    Well, actually down to about 150 cards after finally putting everything together.. now have some doubles if anybody wanted to trade.. have some 7's nd some 8's, but of course would buy what i needed if reasonable....thanks to all fellow board members again whom have helped.. ivan
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    "floaters" suck and I dont know why PSA doesnt fix all of them. It makes them look bad IMO.

• Options
    whut????
  • Options
    bumpage.......c'mon guys.. at a serious standstill here.. H-E-L-P.. LOL THANKS, ivan