Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mixed 20'th Century Type weightings

On an older thread TypeTone suggested adding a 1 point bonus to cirulation strike coin in the mixed 1900s type set as well as deductions for non DCAM proofs.

The more I think about it the more I like it. It would more fun if PCGS can neutralize the proof effect for the recent types.

I guess it won't be long before we see the sets for real.

Comments

• Options
    I like it too. I must admit in my Type set I think I got a Roos. PR69 because it filled the hole, looked nice and the price was right. Now if that coin became equal to a MS66 (MS66 + 1) = (69 -2). I would need to upgrade my PR to a DCAM or get a high grade MS.

Great point.

Rich
  • Options
    It's a good idea, and the best way to do it would be on a slot by slot basis. For gold, proofs should get a bump in points, for moderns, a deduction. If you did it on a slot by slot basis, you would be able to really get a good combo set:

Lincoln 1983-present: common in MS-68 or PR-69DC -- subtract 1 point for proofs to make equal
    Ike dollars clad 1971-1978: common in MS-66 or PR-69DC -- subtract 3 points for proofs to make equal
    Saint Gaudens gold: rare in all proof grades and common to MS-66 -- add 4 points for proofs to make equal

or something to that effect.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Keith:

I think your idea is a great refinement to what I had in mind. Maybe if we get a dozen comments or so in support you would want to shoot the entrie thread to David Hall.

Greg S
  • Options
    Greg,

I think that he has something along these lines in mind. According to BJ, he has been struggling to weight the stuff for several days now on the combined sets because of the complexity. I am eagerly waiting to see what they came up with and if any post 1964 coin gets a weight greater than 1.

Keith
    Keith ™