Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913 libery head nickel to be auctioned by heritage in 2010 orlando FUN auction!!!

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ex king farouk specimen!!!! (pcgs/ngc pr64)

start saving up some cash!!!

Im surprised nobody has mentioned this yet????
I received the FUN poster of the rarities going to be offered, and this monster lady is going to be up there with a pcgs ms66 1927-d ms66 $20 St.!!!
may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    how long did the previous owner hang onto it?

the reason i ask is because i am curious if they will take a loss if
    they bought it just a few years ago.
  • Options
    I will throw a bid at it although I am pretty sure my bid of half of what it sold for last time wont win the coin.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭

<< <i>I will throw a bid at it although I am pretty sure my bid of half of what it sold for last time wont win the coin. >>

and if by some odd chance it does....best of luck to you! image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and if by some odd chance it does....best of luck to you!

If it does, best of luck to all of us. We'll need it!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Is it stickered?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's either PCGS or NGC. It can't be both. Which is it?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's either PCGS or NGC. It can't be both. Which is it? >>

Honestly now: does it matter? Even a little tiny bit?
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC Proof-64 (illustrated below). Previously graded PCGS Proof-64. The Olsen Specimen. This is probably the most publicized of all 1913 Liberty Head Nickels. It is the only example ever handled by B. Max Mehl, for whom the 1913 nickel was central to his lifelong advertising campaign. The Olsen Specimen has been widely featured in print and on television, including being the subject of an episode on the program Hawaii Five-O in 1974. A few years ago, subsequent owner Reed Hawn exhibited it several times alongside his other world-class rarity, the 1804 silver dollar. Ex - Samuel W. Brown - August Wagner - Stephen K. Nagy - Wayte Raymond - Col. E.H.R. Green - Burdette G. Johnson and Eric P. Newman - James Kelly - Fred Olsen - sold at auction in 1944 to King Farouk of Egypt who "...soon tired of his purchase and he sent it to the Hammer Galleries of New York to be sold. They could not find a buyer at the price asked..."- consigned to B. Max Mehl's sale of the Will W. Neil, sold for $3,750.00 - Edwin M. Hydeman - Abe Kosoff - WorldWide Coin Investments - Bowers and Ruddy Galleries, Inc. - Continental Coin Co. - Superior Galleries - Dr. Jerry Buss - Superior Galleries - Reed Hawn - Stack's - Spectrum Numismatics - sold for $3 million in a transaction brokered by Blanchard & Co. on May 20, 2004. The King Farouk citation (cited by Breen) was called into question by Superior in their 2001 offering of the Eliasberg coin, but the citation appears to be correct.

imageimage

Currently, it's in an NGC holder.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Honestly now: does it matter? Even a little tiny bit? >>

It will really start mattering to me if it doesn't have a sticker!!!!!image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

It can, but not at the same time image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if a 1913 Liberty 5c crosses the autcion block every two years or so, is it essentially becoming more common than Important Coins™ with higher mintages that are never seen at auction?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looking at the history of this coin, I wonder if a collector will ever buy this and just keep it?? Seems like it's just traded amongst dealers and flippers. Still pretty cool though.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just looking at the history of this coin, I wonder if a collector will ever buy this and just keep it?? Seems like it's just traded amongst dealers and flippers. Still pretty cool though. >>

I'm sorry to say that I agree with this statement. When an incredible coin like this seems to appear in every auction, I just cannot get worked up into a frenzy over it anymore. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file