Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Little help with some coins?

My father has a Ton of coins laying around and I asked to look through them. He gave me a small bucket full to play with for the time being. I pulled these coins from the lot and was wondering if any of them were worth anything at all. There are a few I really like such as the large copper pieces. I highly doubt any of these are worth over a buck but doesn't hurt to ask I figure. I will be going through many many more coins over the upcoming months and will most likely ask for more help image.

I know the pics are terrible but my lighting is horrible and its 11pm so I couldn't do it outside. I can post better pics tomorrow if needed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit, I forgot to ask, Looks like the Canadian nickel has a chunk missing. Anyway to tell from these horrible pics if its Post mint damage?

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhh, I wouldn't be ready to retire off the proceeds just yet. Seriously though, these are the types of things that there will not be too many buyers of and lots of similar hoards laying around. The Brit coins would just be for the junk bin.

Hey, you may have a prototype for the presidential dollars of 2011 there! Oooops, just a Chuck E. Cheese token....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I don't see any there with much value. I do see a telephone token as well as an Aladdin's Castle and Chuck E Cheese tokens though.

A fair number of Spanish coins there, some Mexican, English, Japanese, and German. One also from Switzerland, the Philippines, Chile, and Jamaica in addition to the noted Canadian coin + 2 I can't see clearly enough for.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Thanks, Pretty much confirmed my suspicions but I had to ask. I really like the large penny's & Half Penny even if they are only worth face value image. Think I'll hang onto those. I did find about $15 face of US Silver coins, Some really nice early Jeffs and a 09 VDB in the lot as well so not a total loss of time.
  • Options
    1st/2nd pictures, 3rd row second coin - Y#87, Showa 59 (1984) cu-ni ¥500, mintage 342,850,000

3rd/4th pictures, 1st row fourth coin - Y#82, Showa 50 (1975) cu-ni ¥100, mintage 437,160,000

3rd/4th pictures, 2nd row fourth coin - Y#81, Showa 51 (1976) cu-ni ¥50, mintage 241,880,000

None of them are worth more than face value in the conditions pictured.
    Roy

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to have some fun with those Spanish coins, grab a magnifying glass or loupe and look for the "real date" the coins were actually struck in; it's stamped inside the tiny star on the reverse, to the left of the eagle.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The odd looking token with grooves in it is an Italian telephone token, as you may have guessed. If memory serves correctly, the "7702" on it is a code that actually reveals the date (month and year) it was issued. The trouble is, you have to find the website which gives the lowdown on how to decipher that date code, 'cause I can't remember where I found it. (Googling "gettone telefonico" might be a good place to start.)

I commonly find those Italian tokens in bulk lots of world coins. They must have made a zillion of 'em. They're probably not worth anything, but they're kind of neat. I'll bet somebody in Italy collects them by month and year of issue.

Edit: Aha, that was easy. First hit I got on Google. 7702 = February, 1977.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Still, 650 yen is about $8... I often see 100-yen coins in junk boxes (or used to see in the past when I went through these). Buy enough of these (worth like $1.10-1.20 a piece) and you can make a tidy profit! Perhaps not enough to buy an airplane ticket to Japan so you can spend them, but still...

Auto
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.