Home U.S. Coin Forum

Whose going to the New Show at the Old San Francisco Mint Building on Nov. 6-7?

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is the first show being held at the Old San Francisco Mint Building. I'll be setting up there, and I know Rick Snow will be as well. Anyone going?

Coin Show at
The Old SF Mint Building
5th Street between Mission and Market
Date: Nov. 6th & 7th, 2009, 10am-6pm

- U.S. &World Coins, Currency, and
- Western Americana Bought & Sold
- Free Tours of the Old SF Mint!!!
- Presentations by Local Historians
- Raffle, Drawings, Door Prizes

You can get a discount to the show
HERE
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• I'm really pretty new here, and not one of your old buds, Charmy, but if I get a chance, I'll stop by to say hello. I'm planning to be there.
    Tony Barreca

"Question your assumptions."
    "Intelligence is an evolutionary adaptation."
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm really pretty new here, and not one of your old buds, Charmy, but if I get a chance, I'll stop by to say hello. I'm planning to be there. >>

That's great - I look forward to meeting you!
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there, taking half-day (or maybe full day) off work to go. Don't want to miss the opportunity to visit the mint building and am looking forward to meeting you (and Maybe Rick Snow) as well. See you there!

RayP
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I will be there on Friday and maybe on Saturday. I would take a table if they weren't so expensive. Hopefully the public will show up as well.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I will definitely make this show!

Duh-duh-definitely! Yes definitely.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I had planned on attending this show. Something else important came up; I do not think I can attend. I feel like I am being ripped in two pieces.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only day I can make it is Friday and Sacramento to SF on with Friday traffic doesnt excite me much......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Tentative.

I would love to go.
    I know my wife would love to spend a couple of days in SF....for the nightlife more than the show, but that works for me! image
    Need more $$ to really make it worthwhile, but you never know......
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would also love to take a trip to SF, but just too far of a trip for a coin show. Now if it were held the weekend of the 13-14, I'd probably be there since Da Bears are playing up there on Thursday the 12th image

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Hold your nose as you walk through the neighborhood, the stench of sun-baked urine can be pretty strong in Crack Alley.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Now that I know about it, yeah, I think I might come on Saturday...

Would be really interesting to tour the Mint, AND peruse some coinage to quench my... thirst. image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

<< <i>Hold your nose as you walk through the neighborhood, the stench of sun-baked urine can be pretty strong in Crack Alley. >>

How peculiar that you felt the need to post this....image
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hold your nose as you walk through the neighborhood, the stench of sun-baked urine can be pretty strong in Crack Alley. >>

How peculiar that you felt the need to post this....image >>

Just a warning, my friend -- this is not a particularly nice neighborhood, especially after dark.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Charmy
    Im not going but I was talking with Tony Patchin last week and he said he was going.
    Derek
    Derek

EAC 6024

<< <i>Hi Charmy
    Im not going but I was talking with Tony Patchin last week and he said he was going.
    Derek >>

Sorry to miss you Derek, but I'll look forward to seeing Tony - thanks!
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    YEA, If they have the bridge fixed by then? image
    Well, I heard the bridge is open again! There will be several special tours on both Saturday and Sunday:

Friday, November 6th, 2009
    8am: Show opens to dealers
    9:55am: Opening Ceremony
    10am: Show opens to public
    11am: Video about the Old SF Mint (Granite Lady room)
    1pm: Tour of vaults (meet at Granite Lady room)
    2pm: Video about the Old SF Mint (Granite Lady room)
    3pm: Tour of vaults (meet at Granite Lady room)
    4pm: Presentation in the Granite Lady room: “The Gold Rush and its impact on San Francisco, the State, and this Country” by Charles Fracchia
    6pm: Show closes to public

Saturday, November 7th, 2009
    9am: Show opens to dealers
    10am: Show opens to public
    11am: Tour of vaults (meet at Granite Lady room)
    12pm: Video about the Old SF Mint (Granite Lady room)
    1pm: Presentation in the Granite Lady room: “Coins, tokens, and medals of San Francisco” by Michael Wehner
    2pm: Tour of vaults (meet at Granite Lady room)
    3pm: Presentation in the Granite Lady room: “Coinage of Costa Rica”
    4pm: Video about the Old SF Mint (Granite Lady room)
    6pm: Show closes to public

Here's another link with more info - and a discount coupon to get in!

SF Mint Show Info

And here's an interesting article on the Old San Francisco Mint Building.

History of the SF Mint
    It occurred to me that if I go, since I've never met any of you (yet), how will I know who you are when I get there?

Would be nice to shake a few hands, share a few tips, learn a few things I didn't know before I got there... but if there are a lot of people, I might not get around to everyone... image

Do you, like, wear special hats, or buttons? Have a quirky look on your face? Gather in a special place?

It may not SEEM so, but I look pretty normal... how will you know ME? image
    UBERCOINER

OB, you will not have any problem finding me. I'll be the lady behind the table with the big sign that says "The Penny Lady." image Perhaps you can all meet at my table around noon on both days, then we can introduce ourselves. Btw, the show is being held in several different rooms at the Mint - my table is #86 in the Yerba Buena room.
    Okee Dokee, PL... taking notes...

So far, 2 of 3 invitees have declined... a 3rd has yet to respond... I may be left to my onesies...

UBERCOINER

<< <i>Okee Dokee, PL... taking notes...

So far, 2 of 3 invitees have declined... a 3rd has yet to respond... I may be left to my onesies... >>

Not sure if a "onesie" is appropriate attire for the great OB1! image But looking forward to seeing you in whatever you're wearing!
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got in a new real estate case concerning a foreclosure property in SF. I may just take a trip over to SF City Hall to dig into the ownership and lien history of the property at the Recorder's Office to get the information and documentation on the property I need before I prepare and file a lawsuit on behalf of the "good guy" (my client) against the "bad guy" (my client's oppenent).

After I am done I may just stop by 5th & Mission to check things out and say hello. Should I bring a hammer and chisel with me to see if I can find the corner stone and "recover" the 1870 SF coins supposedly residing thereinimage

<< <i>After I am done I may just stop by 5th & Mission to check things out and say hello. Should I bring a hammer and chisel with me to see if I can find the corner stone and "recover" the 1870 SF coins supposedly residing thereinimage >>

I don't think you'll be the first to try it, but you may still need that hammer and chisel to pry a certain toned coin out of my hands! Looking forward to seeing you!
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy.

No you have gotten my curiosity up.

If you have a raw 1912, 1918, 1927, 1929, 1931 or 1932 Philly toned MS cent for modest dollars, I might be persuaded (for my Dansco Album). If not, I just will look at your other toned Lincolns and wish.

Hopefully I can make it.
    Charmy has blackmailed me into making a trip to SF on Friday morning......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

<< <i>Charmy.

No you have gotten my curiosity up.

If you have a raw 1912, 1918, 1927, 1929, 1931 or 1932 Philly toned MS cent for modest dollars, I might be persuaded (for my Dansco Album). If not, I just will look at your other toned Lincolns and wish.

Hopefully I can make it. >>

Oh, but of course I have some little pretties right up your ally! image

And, Todd, we dealers will do anything to get people in the door - blackmail is an easy one! It's just like the donkey/carrot thing. image
    By the way, the Bay Bridge is again open so there isn't room for an excuse for the people who would be arriving by car from the east.

Charmy is just doing her part to promote this show so some members of the public may actually show up. The show promoter could be doing so much more promotion but his efforts don't seem to be materializing.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    hey I saw an add on craigslist when I searched for the show info!!
    A Craigslist ad would be dandy if the typical fossil-aged minded collector actually knows what Craigslist is and actually spends time on that site. Even I barely ever take a look there.

I never really saw any flyers or advertisements for the show and I don't recall the show being listed in Numismatic News or Coinworld. Let's put it this way...I stay on top of all coin show information nationwide and I couldn't find much specific information about the show until I spoke to Scott directly about two weeks ago.
    In Scott's defense, he sent out a list to the dealers of all the places he has placed advertisements which, in addition to various news articles and interviews, include ads in Coin World, Grey Sheet, several local SF newspapers, CoinTalk Radio, various online websites, club show listings, etc. He also handed out a ton of flyers during 18 coin shows and club meetings, mailed post cards, sent emails, and made phone calls to many other contacts.

Any way, I'm sure he could have done more advertising, as most shows certainly could, so we shall see how well attended it is. I realize that downtown SF can be a tougher location, and parking is extremely expensive, but having a show in a really neat old historical building will be fun, unique, and educational - and word is getting around the coin community. Whatever criticisms you want to throw at Scott or this show or its location, why not just give it a chance and wait and see. Sure it's possible the show may not do well, and lessons can be learned from mistakes, but once again, let's just wait and see.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be one great show!

You know, after doing show after show, this stands out as a real exciting few days! The weather in SF looks like it will be good too!

I'll be there too! I just got a huge collection of Indian cent errors and will be bringing them all!

Break open the wine, Charmy!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

<< <i>In Scott's defense, he sent out a list to the dealers of all the places he has placed advertisements which, in addition to various news articles and interviews, include ads in Coin World, Grey Sheet, several local SF newspapers, CoinTalk Radio, various online websites, club show listings, etc. He also handed out a ton of flyers during 18 coin shows and club meetings, mailed post cards, sent emails, and made phone calls to many other contacts.

Any way, I'm sure he could have done more advertising, as most shows certainly could, so we shall see how well attended it is. I realize that downtown SF can be a tougher location, and parking is extremely expensive, but having a show in a really neat old historical building will be fun, unique, and educational - and word is getting around the coin community. Whatever criticisms you want to throw at Scott or this show or its location, why not just give it a chance and wait and see. Sure it's possible the show may not do well, and lessons can be learned from mistakes, but once again, let's just wait and see. >>

If there were advertisements for this show by some strange coincidence I seemed to have missed them all one way or another. It was also a fact that I was never approached and offered an opportunity to take a bourse table though it seemed like about every other dealer in the state was. Scott definitely has my number since he called me after the fact and asked if I was planning to attend.

I like the show location and I hope the public shows up. Expensive parking is a necessary evil in any cosmopolitan city and the area around the mint building isn't a particularly iffy area especially during daylight hours. We'll see how this show turns out and hopefully it'll be a successful one.

I will be there Friday and I am contemplating staying the night in the city. The weather forecasts are saying there will be a chance of showers on Friday but Saturday will be nice.

<< <i>If there were advertisements for this show by some strange coincidence I seemed to have missed them all one way or another. It was also a fact that I was never approached and offered an opportunity to take a bourse table though it seemed like about every other dealer in the state was. Scott definitely has my number since he called me after the fact and asked if I was planning to attend. >>

Wei, perhaps Scott hasn't seen you set up at a show in a long time, so he did not know you were interested in taking a table.
  • Would love to go, but gotta work..... : (
    BGG
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm taking a table there and am looking forward to a great show - I can't wait to get a look around the Granite Lady again...
    David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
    I'm headed to the show tomorrow - LAST CALL!
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I will be at table 23 (I think it is) in the Barbary room for the show. Hope to see some of you there. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
    I'm headed out now, so one last bump! Hope to see some of you there!! My table at noon if you want to try to meet other forum members!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file