Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Very rare transitional PCGS 5.5(pending) slab/label which appeared in the fall of 1998???

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
I believe there is a very rare transitional PCGS 5.5(pending) slab/label which appeared in the fall of 1998 but has not yet been affirmed and published.

The label is blue colored just like the current blue PCGS label which started with the PCGS 6 label.
However, the printing font on the label and the slab itself has all of the characteristics of the green PCGS 5 slab/label.

I have seen just a couple of the PCGS 5.5(pending) slab/labels and presently believe I have one or two of them. All of the ones I have seen have the numbers which represents that they were graded at a coin show by PCGS. I believe PCGS started to use the new blue paper labels at the show but used the old labeling program and also must have had a few of the old plastic slabs side with the gold colored foil lettering and gold hologram to use up.

So PCGS unintentionally put together a transitional slab?

I will pull out my slabs to double check.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oreville - You know you're crazy, right?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEureka:

Time spent on these things means time spent NOT spending $$. image
  • Options

<< <i>MrEureka:

Time spent on these things means time spent NOT spending $$. image >>

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time spent on these things means time spent NOT spending $$.

Just because you're smart doesn't mean you're not crazy!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I pulled out the first PCGS 5.5 from my safe deposit box and it is a 1983 DDR 1c in MS-66RD.

It is definitely the blue paper stock used in the PCGS 6 slab but inside the PCGS 5 slab along with the PCGS 5 font style.

We have seen PCGS 4 slabs in blue but that is because the insert lost the yellow pigment to cause the insert 's color turn from green to blue. Other PCGS 4 slabs lose the blue pigment to cause the insert's color to turn yellow. So those are not a variety of slab.

I will investigate further with PCGS.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    or it could be the fake slab font 6.47938345
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    joebb21: Good point, but I do not think so. I bought this slab back in 2000, long before the fake PCGS slabs began to surface.
  • Options

<< <i>joebb21: Good point, but I do not think so. I bought this slab back in 2000, long before the fake PCGS slabs began to surface. >>

How come no photos? Every thread could use some phots image
  • Options
    UPDATE!!!!

I took a photo of my slab and will post it tonight. The serial number is #9652379.

Interesting that Heritage has a # 9652381 details (same date/mm and grade!!!) and pics below!

It must be from the same submission and yes, possibly mine was purchased in 2001, not 2000.

Mine is absolutely BLUE. This picture looks like it is halfway between blue and green but I am sure it is blue comparing it to other OGH of the same era and the same auction by Heritage.

imageimage

This lot and the very next lot. There is a definite difference.

imageimage

Lot
    1983 1C DBLD DIE, RD
    Auction: 2001 April Indianapolis, IN (CSNS) Bullet Sale #257
    Bid Information
    For your convenience, the bid information on this page automatically refreshes with the most up to date data so you don't have to refresh/reload this page.
    Minimum Next Bid
    Bid increments determine the lowest amount you may bid on a particular lot. Normally, bids must be at least one bidding increment over the current bid. However, podium, fax, phone and mail bidders submit bids at various times without knowing the current bid and must be on-increment or at a half increment (called a cut bid). Any podium, fax, phone, or mail bids that do not conform to a full or half increment will be rounded up or down to the nearest full or half increment. However, for Internet bids, these increments only apply to the current bid. Internet bids greater than one increment over the current bid can be any whole dollar amount. It is possible under several circumstances for winning bids to be between increments, sometimes only $1 above the previous increment.

* How can I lose by less than an increment?
    * View Bidding Increments
    * How can I lose by less than an increment?

Number of Bidders
    This number represents the number of individual bidders prior to the close of Internet bidding on each lot. An individual who bids more than once is still counted only once. During the live session, only the winning bidder is included in this number, although detailed records are kept of all forms of bids.
    Status

Reserve (If Any) Not Posted Yet:
    Although many lots will not get reserves, this signifies that we have not yet posted any reserves to this entire auction. Reserves are usually posted approximately 3 days prior to the closing for Internet-only auctions, and approximately 7 days prior to the live session for Signature auctions.

Consignor Has Not Yet Submitted a Reserve:
    Although the consignor's agreement allows a reserve on this lot, the deadline for submitting such a reserve has elapsed. If consignor submits a reserve post-deadline and the item fails to meet that reserve, we may charge the consignor a higher reserve fee.

No Reserve:
    This lot is being sold without a consignor reserve. (Note: By law, consignors may still bid under certain conditions, but they are responsible for paying the full Buyer's Premium and Seller's Commission if they do.)

Reserve Not Met:
    A reserve has been posted on this lot, but no bids have met the reserve. The current bid has been set to the reserve amount, and the next bid will meet the reserve.

Reserve Met:
    Reserves have been posted for this auction, and there is a reserve on this lot that has already been met.

Minimum Bid:
    Lots bearing bidding estimates shall open at Auctioneer's discretion (approximately 25% to 60% of the low estimate).
    What's This?
    Our Auction Results Archives now allow our members to make anonymous offers on items that may not be auctioned again for some time. Please note that the winner of this Heritage auction lot may or may not still own this item and may or may not be willing to sell.

This Make Offer to Owner (MOTO) program is still in the Beta Test phase, and we would appreciate any suggestions to help us improve our system. Please email your suggestions to Webmaster@HA.com.

Heritage retains 10% of the total price as its commission, from which Heritage absorbs all credit card/PayPal costs. This service is free to the buyer (no Buyer's Premium), includes a 7 day return policy, and protects the identity of both parties.

Our software allows offers and counter-offers, but we suggest making your best offer the first time as most owners will not respond to low offers at all. You will receive a response or no-response email from Heritage within 72 hours.
    What's This?
    The owner of this item has indicated that they would sell this item at this amount, although their acceptance of your offer is required before the item can be purchased.

Our Auction Results Archives are not only the best resource for market research, but now you have the opportunity to acquire very rare items that may not be auctioned again for some time by making an anonymous offer that will make the owner sell.
    BP - Buyer's Premium
    A "Buyer's Premium" is charged in addition to the successful bid according to the rate defined in our terms and conditions.
    Not Sold
    This indicates an item that did not sell at auction because it did not receive bids equal to or greater than the reserve (minimum bid) amount set by the consignor, or the opening bid.
    Opening Bid
    The opening bid is the minimum amount required to begin bidding, and is generally a percentage of the low estimate.
    Lincoln Cents, 1983 1C DBLD DIE, RD

Lincoln Cents, 1983 1C DBLD DIE, RD

* View Larger Image

Sold for: $356.50 (includes BP )
    Currency Converter
    Bid Source: Live: Floor
    Auction Ended On: Apr 7, 2001
    Item Activity: 3 Internet/mail bidders
    19 page views
    Printable auction results for all items in the 2001 April Indianapolis, IN (CSNS) Bullet Sale.

• Options
    These look like a submission from one submitter back in 1998. All of these are possibly made with the blue insert.

#9652377 That Cert is not available for display
    #9652378 1983 1C Doubled Die Reverse MS66RD (probably beginning of submission)
    #9652379 1983 1C Doubled Die Reverse MS66RD
    #9652380 1983 1C Doubled Die Reverse MS66RD
    #9652381 That Cert is not available for display (but see the 2001 Heritage auction showing that 1983 DDR MS66RD)
    #9652382 1983 1C Doubled Die Reverse MS65RD
    #9652383 1984 1C Doubled Die Obverse MS66RD
    #9652384 1984 1C Doubled Die Obverse MS64RD
    #9652385 That Cert is not available for display
    #9652386 1984 1C Doubled Die Obverse MS65RD
    #9652387 1984 1C Doubled Die Obverse MS66RD
    #9652388 1984 1C Doubled Die Obverse MS66RD
    #9652389 That Cert is not available for display.
    #9652390 1984 1C Doubled Die Obverse MS66RD
    #9652391 1984 1C Doubled Die Obverse MS65RD (possibly end of submission)
    #9652392 That Cert is not available for display.
    #9652393 That Cert is not available for display.
  • Options
    rare1rare1 Posts: 47 ✭✭
    you need to get out more!
  • Options
    has anyone discovered any more of these?
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Are you sure this isn't just a non-color fast label?

After all, that's why we have "yellow" labels.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    DaveG,

For this to have been a non color-fast label, PCGS would have had to save some of their older and small non color-fast labels used 3-4 years before OR accidentally had some laying around from then and then accidentally used them in the fall of 1998.

That would be similar to the US Mint having some copper planchets laying around in the hopper leftover from 1942 and accidentally creating some 1943 copper cents.

Your theory has possibilities.

In fact it may even add even more intrigue to the history of these labels as I was under the impression that PCGS made a concerted effort to discard all non color-fast labels from their stock of paper labels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file