Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Common Date MS64 Morgans

APMEX is selling common date, 1878-1904, PCGS MS64 Morgan's for $52.99/each in quantities of 20 or more.

Does this sound like a decent long term buy?

If you were going to spend a few thousand dollars on numismatics for a long term hold what would you buy today? image

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>APMEX is selling common date, 1878-1904, PCGS MS64 Morgan's for $52.99/each in quantities of 20 or more.

Does this sound like a decent long term buy?

If you were going to spend a few thousand dollars on numismatics for a long term hold what would you buy today? image

Thanks! >>

if I wanted to INVEST in numismatics? First, I would not buy 20 sight-unseen generic morgans. Second, if forced to INVEST, I would focus only on key date/MM types of coins that have always been popular and always have ready buyers. I'd still want to see them in advance and only by nice for the grade examples.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold...
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect Morgans and I have come to realize buying common ms64 Morgans for the long term investment is not a prudent decision.

There's just too many of them.

For investment, I would stay away from most Morgans. Have you seen the Pop reports on these?? Thousands of them.

I'd rather but something like an ms63 or ms64 seated half.

Or better yet, buy silver bullion.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    I think you would be disappointed. Not only with the coins themselves, - but also with the "investment."
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    If I was going to spend a grand on an investment... hmm...

You would be MUCH better off buying something like, I dunno, a single $1,000 key date coin, and not some widget key like an S-VDB or 38-D Walker.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would look for better dates in a nice original state- unfortunately, the market already has moved on this and Morgans while popular, have limited potential for common date 64s

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    Im not an expert, but you made me curious about this.

the pcgs price guide lists the common 64s at $65.

I did a check on ebay and found there are plenty of commons selling for under $50 each, but you also have shipping.

what you are talking about is a "ready to go package." twenty in the lot, one shot, priced at under 53 each. what about shipping charges?

for convenience sake, its looks ok. what you are really betting on is the price of silver and thats the problem with this "deal."

numismatic coins have a markup that won't be met unless silver prices rise substantially.

if you want to bet on silver, generic circulated silver coins, yes even morgans, would get you closer to the price of silver without the numismatic markup or premium.

as others have noted, if you want to invest in morgans then you must go for higher grade morgans. frankly even generic 65s will be hard to get a profit with, and you should look to at least common date 67s or take the plunge on a ms68.

prices on ms68 have come down substantially from a few years ago.
  • Options
    image too many sight unseen.
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

........you may get lucky and discover some VAMS that APMEX missed! but i doubt it. so i vote.... image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    widgets arent the best long term investment IMO
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>If you were going to spend a few thousand dollars on numismatics for a long term hold what would you buy today?<<

If you have the space, 2009 Mint Sets would be my choice. Available from the Mint at less than double face value, containing eight 95% copper, satin finish Lincoln cents that are probable future keys (available only in this set).

If you don't have the space, my choice would be 2008-W proof or uncirculated Jackson's Liberty $10 gold from the First Spouse series. Mintage is 7806 proof and 4754 uncirculated. Still reasonably priced considering its 1/2-ounce gold content. Great classic obverse and well-designed coin overall. Many who pass on the First Spouse series will collect the non-Spouse "short set" with 18th and 19th century classic motifs.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file