Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sure looks like an ms64 to me...

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
An ms63 1883-S is for sale and if I had an extra 6K lying around I think I'd jump on this one as it's the nicest ms63 I've seen in a long time.

IMHO it's a very possible upgrade to an ms64.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>An ms63 1883-S is for sale and if I had an extra 6K lying around I think I'd jump on this one as it's the nicest ms63 I've seen in a long time.

IMHO it's a very possible upgrade to an ms64. >>

Most PQ coins are actually net graded for a problem the beholder doesn't recognize - especially when judging from an image. The odds of someone leaving thousands of dollars on the table in a freshly graded NGC Morgan are near zero.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    I'll admit to not understanding coin grading but I really don't understand how a coin is MS-anything with obvious nicks on the profile.

yes, I know the pictured coin most likely falls into the accepted MS63 definitions of the major grading services; makes little sense to me but I guess that's the way it is.
  • Options
    chipped and dipped....ms63 about right imho....too many rubs and gouges on the obverse to grade up....I wouldn't crack it out to take a chance.....
    ....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Dont forget this:

PCGS knows that the $$$ amount between 63 and 64 is MEGA bucks!! They are much more likely to give it a 63 again..knowing how much potential profit is in this upgrade. If they were easy on giving this 64 EVERYBODY would be doing this daily.
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    Umm I don't know about upgrade, a mark on the cheek, jaw bone, neck and in front of neck are actually pretty deep. Cheek mark almost looks like an x.
    JMO
    AL
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Those reeding marks hurt it. There are a few of them. But I agree it's a very nice coin.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SOLID 64 all day long!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver dollars and Mercury dimes (for example) can't be graded using the same criteria. The heavy Silver dollars beat each other up during every stage of the coining process and then end up in heavy bags to be thrown around and bounced around in stage coaches and railroad cars etc.
    The coin in question has marks in the prime focal area on the obverse (the field area in front of Ms. Liberty's nose and eyes) and she's got some marks on her cheek and jaw bone as well. This no doubt held it to the MS63 grade. I'd call it a high end MS63 or "give it a sticker!" image
    Best wishes,
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file