Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1883-O Morgan Post Mint or Die Issue, Opinions (Big Pic's)

I recently sold these coins and the buyer (after 3 weeks) called and said they are counterfeit. I've posted pictures of these coins twice and received several comments, but none indicated they were counterfeit. Is it possible?

I recently purchased a small collection primarily for the silver. There were 14 1883-O Morgans in what looked mint condition so I paid a small preimum for the coins. After getting home and under improved lighting I noticed what looks to be raised bubbles or bumps all over Liberty's face and in her hair. The fields on the coins look nice and clean and there is nice luster present on the coins. The Reverse looks good on all coins.

What causes the raised bubbles? At least they look raised and seem to cast a shadow when lighting is at an angle.

Thanks,

imageI recently sold these coins and the buyer (after 3 weeks) called and said they are counterfeit. I've posted pictures of these coins twice and received several comments, but none indicated they were counterfeit. Is it possible?
Aggie

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that it may be from a rusted die. New Orleans is a humid place and dies rusted
    quite well there.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    That is correct. It was struck with a rusted die. Very commong on New Orleans dollars. I have many.
  • Options
    I recently sold these coins and the buyer (after 3 weeks) called and said they are counterfeit. I've posted pictures of these coins twice and received several comments, but none indicated they were counterfeit. Is it possible?
    Aggie
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a common phenomenon with 83-O, 84-O, 85-O, some other dates, for reason noted above.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    1883-O is a pretty common date for someone to counterfit.
    J'har

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file