Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What info does Coinfacts have that I cant find anywhere else?

If I combine the Redbook, Greysheet and Heritage Archives together, do I basically get the same info that Coinfacts has?

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    a monthly fee?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    It's about convenience and getting ad views.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a monthly fee? >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    There are many images on PCGS CoinFacts and population data that one cannot find anywhere else, and I believe that will only increase in the future.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    If it is ONLY about money, don't pay to get Coinfacts. IMHO, it is a work in progress that will get better overtime. It comes down to what you are willing to pay for the enjoyment you get. I would dare to say that there are MANY members here who would pay $10 a month if they had to in order to post and to view the US Coin forum. So, since you get that pleasure for free you take it for granted. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The definitive statement about the nature of toned Peace dollars? image
  • Options
    I belong to PCGS but frankly I don't think the basic membership is any sort of a deal, it basically gives me the right to send them coins, that they charge me extra for, to grade, sort of like if AAA charged me extra for a map. I won't subscribe to anything that charges me a monthly fee, CoinFacts, as it is presented now, is expensive and should be included at a level of PCGS membership, perhaps a small increase in the yearly fee, but until it is I won't be using it.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll buy a book so I can go back and look at it if I need more info and with out the monthly fee. $120 a year for info. That should come with the Plat membership always trying to milk more $$$ from a dry cow. Just incase no one knows what a Dry cow is it's when a cow that does not give any more Milk it needs to have a calve befor it gives milk and after time the milk slow down so they need to let her dry up then get her to have a calve once agan then she will give 50 to 80Lb of milk a day and it starts all over ever year. if you need to know. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    How would everyone feel if the only way to post to these forums, gain submission privileges, participate in the registry, view pop reports, view price guide, and view coinfacts was to purchase them as one bundle, all or nothing?

Three out of six of these are free to anyone but still have a cost to PCGS, both for person(s) to maintain as well as hosting costs. I am sure they all support the business, but we should expect to help pay the bills, too. By combining ad revenue into the mix, the forums, registry, and price guide are free, and I expect the subscription fee for coinfacts is lower as well.

My submission privileges recently expired, but I have nothing to submit right now so I'm glad I don't have to pony up to continue reading and posting to the forums. At the same time, I would like to try out coinfacts for a month before committing to a longer subscription, but can choose a month where I expect to have sufficient time to evaluate it. A la carte works well for me, I can pick and choose where to spend, and still take advantage of the free services.

• Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    We have all heard this story before with the "help pay the bills" and "all the work involved" lines. Thats nice, but how far will this excuse go?

I am getting a little tired of hearing those lines. Taking money from the collector seems to take priority over customer satisfaction.

All I am saying is each member should have a FREE trial period, for all of us to decide if this is worth it. NOT a "give the 10 dollars back" thing.. a FREE 30 day or so trial period can put this whole issue to rest.

This way we can all decide for ourselves if this is worth it.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a monthly fee? >>

......image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I belong to PCGS but frankly I don't think the basic membership is any sort of a deal, it basically gives me the right to send them coins, that they charge me extra for, to grade, sort of like if AAA charged me extra for a map. I won't subscribe to anything that charges me a monthly fee, CoinFacts, as it is presented now, is expensive and should be included at a level of PCGS membership, perhaps a small increase in the yearly fee, but until it is I won't be using it. >>

........brings a real meaning to............hobby of kings.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Much, but not all, of the info on CF is available elsewhere, I am sure.

Is your time worth more than $10/mo. seeking it?

It is strictly a bottom line question/answer.

Not everyone's answer will be the same.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the best part is the auction prices realized. It would take you hours to find the same info per search.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Part of the enjoyment for me in this hobby is the hunt for information, so I enjoy putting together different sources. Coinfacts is a tool in the toolbox but it is not the entire box. If it's free, I will use it. If not, I won't.

Edited for spelling.
    Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file