Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Conder101's list of PCGS slabs..slab #3.5

NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
I was originally working on a set of PCGS generation slabs, as Conder so graciously listed in this thread. Going through them, I thought I had 2 of the 2.5's. After pulling them out (I've been accumulating them for a while...have a number of PCGS 2's...just something about those 'shell' slabs that move me), and really not having looked at them for months, I noticed that I DIDN'T have two 2.5's, but I had one 2.5, and one 3.5. Then, I came across this thread by oreville, from almost exactly a year ago.

My question is, I guess, directed at oreville or Conder (though I don't believe he posts here any longer?)-are these PCGS 3.5's more scarce/rare than the 2.5's? Also, where there seems to be a ballpark figure on the surviving number of the 2.5's, is there a ballpark figure on the surviving number of the 3.5's?

After much comparison of my coin to the 3.5 in the attached thread, on this matter I AM sure (a play on my name) this is a 3.5, as this is a die-cut label, which still retains the same color as the example in Conder's thread, with no matrix dots, as is on the 2.5. The only difference is, mine is a Buffalo (and though I am no expert, especially on the Buff series, I believe this is what would be considered a 'hammered' example, though you won't be able to tell from my up-coming image, unless I get lucky). Here are the best images I can get at the moment (the sun is just about out and I need to nap a bit before my day starts), one of the full slab, one of the cert...I know they aren't much, but they're all my bleary eyes can muster right now, as well as the 3.5 Conder has listed as the 3.5 example (again, mine is a Buffalo, Conder101's example is the Morgan):

I apologize if the sizes are too big, not good enough, etc....this is my first attempt at posting images in a thread.
I'll come up with something.

Comments

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Just about sure you have a 3.5 generation slab. Not too sure about
    rarity, or premium, except few have much of a premium other than
    the Regency holder.

You might try contacting Conder101 across the street to ask your question,
    or PM oreville here. Also Cameron Keifer has followed slabs extensively.

When discussing slab generations it's helpful to provide pics of the reverse
    and give an opinion of the color of the insert.

Welcome to the boards!!
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    Here's Cameron Kiefer's website Link
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's Cameron Kiefer's website Link >>

How it sit possible that Cameron's site doesn't contain reverse photos of the slab or am I just spacing out and missing something.image >>

It's not a coin site it's a slab site.
    That's my WAG. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's Cameron Kiefer's website Link >>

How it sit possible that Cameron's site doesn't contain reverse photos of the slab or am I just spacing out and missing something.image >>

Ask Cameron.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone rang?

Seriously, I just stumbled into this thread.

I will answer Notsure's questions to the best of my ability.

<< <i>My question is, I guess, directed at oreville or Conder (though I don't believe he posts here any longer?)-are these PCGS 3.5's more scarce/rare than the 2.5's? >>

Yes. In my opinion, at least four times as scarce/rare as the 2.5's.

<< <i>Also, where there seems to be a ballpark figure on the surviving number of the 2.5's, is there a ballpark figure on the surviving number of the 3.5's? >>

2.5's - probably less than 200 remaining
    3.5's - probably less than 50 remaining

<< <i>After much comparison of my coin to the 3.5 in the attached thread, on this matter I AM sure (a play on my name) this is a 3.5, as this is a die-cut label, which still retains the same color as the example in Conder's thread, with no matrix dots, as is on the 2.5. >>

I agree.

<< <i>The only difference is, mine is a Buffalo (and though I am no expert, especially on the Buff series, I believe this is what would be considered a 'hammered' example, though you won't be able to tell from my up-coming image, unless I get lucky). Here are the best images I can get at the moment (the sun is just about out and I need to nap a bit before my day starts), one of the full slab, one of the cert...I know they aren't much, but they're all my bleary eyes can muster right now, as well as the 3.5 Conder has listed as the 3.5 example (again, mine is a Buffalo, Conder101's example is the Morgan): >>

The reason for the "Buffalo" and the "Morgan" is the 1938-D date was used for both the Buffs and Jeffs as well as the 1921 date was for both the Morgan and Peace dollars. PCGS decided to use the Buffalo and Morgan to distinquish them.
    Your images look pretty good to me.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file