Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anybody collect by date?

I'm just finishing up my complete Silver Panda collection.
118 different coins by date, variety, Commems etc.

1997 has 11 coins, just for that year.

I'm glad I started this when they were selling for a small margin over spot. Some have gotten quite expensive.
Also, there are to many questionable ones showing up on ebay as well as with dealers.

Time for a new focus...

Anyhow, over the years, here and there I would pick up a world coin of my birth year
of 1952. I was thinking about going after any and all 1952 coins that were in a reasonable price for me.

Has anybody here gone down that path?

Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...

Comments

• Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    I just placed an order for a 1952 Canadian quarter and half dollar from the...

APMEX Site-wide Numismatic Closeout Event.

They didn't have a 52 Dollar so, I bought a 51 as a place holder.

1952 was the last year that they had George VI on the Obverse. He died in Jan of that year.
    Starting in 1953 Elizabeth was on the Obverse.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    1952 is a tough date for a lot of the Brit denominations. There was no penny, shilling, florin or halfcrown (there are extremely rare examples of all but the florin, but not for sale). The sixpence is scarce. The farthing, halfpenny, and threepence are accessible.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Has anybody here gone down that path? >>

I am doing something similar, but just one coin per country- the largest denomination available in BU condition. I'm not after everything that was minted that year (at least, not yet). If my experience is at all typical, you'll find the hardest pieces to locate will be the cheapest ones, as they're not worth the while of most sellers to individually market- lots of them don't sell for much more than poundage.
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    1952 is a tough date for a lot of the Brit denominations

Was it because of the change in the Monarchy?

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was because of the death of George VI.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Years ago I started a collection of my birth year (1961), and on a whim I started picking up pieces from 1861, 1761 and 1661 (and a handful of 1561s). I've gotten to know the "usual suspects" from those years. It's one of the many random subsets of my collection, but I like the challenge.
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    I've thought about this many times. There are about 450 coins (not including large denomination NCLTs) from 1972, from cirka 150 countries/issuing authorities. Few coins are expensive, so it would be possible to put together a nice "cross-sectional" collection for not a great deal of money. One thing that makes me hesitate is that postage would be such a large share of the total cost. I don't like that at all.

Auto
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.
  • Options
    I have helped a 1950 collector for a while now, and he really enjoys it. Mostly he needed me to track down the gold for him while the rest he bought in junk bins and on ebay. I have always been disappointed that I don't like anything I've ever seen from 1978.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anybody here gone down that path? >>

Yes - still walking it too. 1960. I also include the patterns, probas, eassais, trial strikes, medals, tokens, etc. in my collection.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    I am an OFEC collector and I concentrate on my birth year, 1979. In addition to that stipulation I favor silver. If silver is unavailable I opt for gold, then copper, then any BU specimen I can get. I accept NCLT or business strikes. I figure this way my OFEC collection will be very personal with very defined goals.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have collected by date and mintmark for many years. When I first started collecting foreign coins, the "Brown Book" was my checklist. Then specialized books came out with all of the types broken down by date and mintmark, so for about 7 years I collected all countries by date and mintmark. I was a very avid collector. Germany was my favorite and I had all of them from 1873 to 1950 but for about 100 coins. Prices started to take off and I couldn't keep up. Sold the German from 1970 to 1975 and bought a duplex we still own. Most other countries have been sold over the years. Anyone looking for a challenge, just pick a year and go for it. eBay has made it a lot easier with access to inventories around the world. You will never know what coins are truly scarce until you start looking for them. Catalog prices are very inaccurate in many cases. Specialized collectors have a huge advantage in the market.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I collect by date for each series, I don't go for one year from each country.

I'm nowhere close to a complete set on anything but I only started last year and havn't been able to add to my collection very much yet either!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    I once started a 1914 type set of all the countries in World War I.

Lot of countries.
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler