Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New ancient coin...

Hello, I am new to the forum and just started posting. I am learning about ancient coins. I have bought 2 books and a couple of coins just to get me started in my studies. I have been advised and thought a little by a couple of more experienced ancient coin collectors but still know very, very little about them. I want to start showing off some of the coins I have gotten so far.
Take it easy on me now. I am a beginner when it comes to ancient coins. My more knowledgeable side is on U.S toned coins.

imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Looks like you've got a pretty good eye. Nice pieces.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Rainbow Coins - Nice quality. I am also a newbie but love the ancients.

Here is a Roman toner (too much sunlight possibly):

Text
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    Thank you for the welcomes.... image CIVITAS, you have some very nice coins on your site as well.
    I like to buy the Romans that are more readable and nice. This been because sense I am new,
    I don't want to spend a year trying to identify one you know. Also, I like nice looking stuff, like my toners.

covers, that is a beauty! I love the toning on that coin you showed. I didn't see a buying price though.
    I wonder if it's for sale?

Thanks again guys and enjoy the hobby. image
  • Options
    Rainbow Coins - Not for sale. There are some coins from the Jacob Stein collection that were on display in a museum in Cincinnati (?) for a long time. Many show toning. Another in my collection is
    Here
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Thank you for the response covers. I like your site, it's very easy to browse.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Josh (Civitas) said.

When he says you have a nice eye, you're getting high praise indeed.

And I'll agree- those are sharp. Granted, they're types that are commonly found in very nice condition, but that just keeps 'em affordable.

High grade yet inexpensive ancient silver is irresistible, particularly those pieces with the nice high relief and realistic portraiture, like your Antoninus Pius, above.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are nice coins!
    The first coin looks like Philip I RIC 46b.
    The second coin looks like Marcus Aurelius RIC 225.
    (RIC = Roman Imperial Coins, a large catalog)
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, yeah. I guess Marcus Aurelius used the name "ANTONINVS" on his coins, too, huh. Looks like that one could be dated to a specific year, with the "TR P ..." date on the obverse?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.