Home PSA Set Registry Forum

75 mini question from a newbie

Hi all. just decided to become a mini man myself.. started out with 20 psa7's and decided for economic reasons i would do the set in 7 and 8's.. i just came across an offer of all the hall of famers in this set in 8's nq's for close to smr 2008 pricing.... should i be using this?? i tried ebays past auctionsbut not alot of help.. told the seller i would get back to him later or tomorrow... its a collection of all hall of fame cards minus the#1 card of aaron and the ryan.. bothj of those were 6's and did not want that grade.... there are 25 cards all psa 8 nq and look real real good... for all these cards price is about 700 ... any thoughts on if this sounds reasonable??? it would fill me in on all higher grade hof ers and c an do rest in 7/8 mix.... the big hitters were the last aaron, brett and yount which was like 300.00 as a whole.. help and hurry lol.. looking forward to joining you mini men... regards, ivan
always looking for 1969 graded basketball

Comments

• packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    He ivan , I am sure the mini guys can chime in but my gut feeling is that smr is going to be high on psa 8's . I do not think that there are any stars that bring a premium to smr and most will go for a significant discount to smr
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    From my limited experience I would agree that the price may be high. The one thing to consider is the saving from shipping the whole group
    rather than buying individually on ebay or here. Also, consider that all 8's are not equal in quality in terms of centering/corners/or color. If
    they are nice for the grade then a strong price might be ok. I just can't answer with certainty what that price might be. A hunch would tell
    me a discount to SMR is still in order even with shipping and quality.

Good luck!

aconte
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Ivan,

Does this lot also exclude the MVP cards that feature Hall of Famers? How about the other Highlight cards at the start of the set that have HOFers on them?

• hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    That price seems high.
    I wouldn't do it, not like it's a once in a lifetime offer (they are just PSA 8s and 8's are very plentiful on ebay, many board member probably have dupes they'd sell you)
    I think you should get all the HOFers minus the MVP cards, #1 and Ryan in 8 for around $350-400

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Ivan ... I'm not a mini expert, but I think if you pay SMR you will be paying more than you should.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Here's a quick breakdown on minis. I've been collecting them for years now.

PSA 9 - for commons, prices depend strictly on pop, and are highly volatile. You can find higher pop examples that are stunning for say $20. Low pop commons can top $500. HOFers, somewhat pricey.

PSA 10s - exorbitantly high prices. I once paid $770 for a pop 1 common. HOFers in this grade are tough to come by and command thousands of dollars each.

PSA 8s - If you like these, I'd say shop around, take your time, and find the BEST-CENTERED examples available in that grade. You will wind up with some wonderful cards at a relatively low cost. NOTE that there are commons in PSA 8 grade which will still run around $100 and upwards, i.e. the CLAUDELL WASHINGTON which is on e-bay right now.

You cannot go wrong by perusing the sets and seeing the pops there. You can also find out how many are "at large" by seeing how many are already locked up in sets. The pops have a direct and heavy impact on price.

Lastly, if you are interested in maintaining some value for any potential future sale, go with strong 8s and try to get as many cheap 9s as is possible on your budget.

Hope that helps. The mini thread has a lot of good info as the collectors of this set are by and large quite passionate about it.

Best,
    MIC
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    Thanks for all your help..these cards were just the hall of fame cards, like 24-25 of them...no special record breaker or mvp cards..the cards are real beauts and centered great.. seems like top grades 8's or higher..he wanted like a grand for this lot with a few others that i declined on and the smr from 9/08 was like a grand on it....so he told me the whole shebang for 700 and that was my pondering number to toss around....a great start on set.. as i mentioned, this is just for me, not going to register, so the 7's on commons do not bother me... and yeah, budget is not that high but need something to keep my occupied a bit..I looked in some ebay stores and of all cards they had, could probably get 3-4 at about 10.00 cheaper per card... also i can pick this up so no shipping... indiv cards or small lots can eat up a lot on the shipping....thanks for all your help and hope to be in touch with you guys while doing this... live in ny and there are some nice shows here , so will be able to keep a lookout for you guys on some wants you may have not seen....regards, ivan
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $550 +/- would be fair.

$700 is overpaying.
    ty nick
  • Alot of valid points made by collectors of Mini's here image

The point that has been mentioned and which I'd make your top priority (IMHO) is quality of examples! There is a vast difference between low end and high end 8's with the 75 Mini's. I'd say this is true with 9's as well. But none more than the 8's. I've seen some pretty off center 8's with no qualifiers. There are plenty of examples that have decent centering. With regard to price. You will be able to do far better hunting down quality examples for less than SMR on many occassions... though I will say that high end examples may demand a higher price (if you're in more of a hurry to buy and competing with another collector on eBay or other auction). If you are not in a hurry... I believe in the current market you'll be able to find quality examples of most PSA 8's for less than SMR prices.

If you are interested in larger lots of quality 7's and 8's at very reasonable prices just e-mail me (tallan007@charter.net) or send a PM to me I have many quality 7's that I had graded myself.... also Jim Duffett the #4 current set holder might have several 7's, and 8's as well and is very reliable for having quality 75 Mini's. My 2nd set is listed on the PSA set registry at #20 current finest. I'm not making any attempt to complete a 2nd set, I just list them for inventory reasons. All the 7's and 8's would be for sale and 95% of these I submitted for grading myself.

You picked a outstanding set to collect image Best of luck with your set! Let me know if I can help you out image

T. Allan
    what is the set # and name on it.. ivan will look at it and see what i could use.. talk to you later, ivan
  • #20 TAB'S 75 MINI'S
    guys, send those lists to me.. 7/8's and prices for bulk lot sales ivan