Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

TTM... Hand written vs. typed and signed?

I am very new to the world of TTM and I had a question. Do you find that you have more success with a hand written letter, rather then a typed and hand signed letter? I just finished up sending out three TTM requests. I hand wrote all three of them which all wound up being about 3/4 of a notebook page. My hand is now dead from writing more by hand then I have written in 15 years or since the invention of Microsoft Word. Does it really make a difference if the letter is hand written, are there guys out there that won't sign your card because your letter is typed and hand signed?

Comments

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    If a guy is charging for his auto, typed is fine. If you're asking for a free auto, you have to hand write.

• << <i>If you're asking for a free auto, you have to hand write. >>

No you don't.
  • I always type - because I'm a little lazy and my handwriting sucks! I don't think the modern guys really care about a handwritten note but I think some of the old timers would still get a kick out of something handwritten.
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi John,

It is true what Steve (brianwintersfan) said about not having to handwrite for a free auto.

However, I think the point Mike (VitoCo1972) was making is that handwritten requests for free autos add a more personal touch and that method probably gets more positive results.

The key word of course is "personal".

JMHO,
    PoppaJ

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi John,

It is true what Steve (brianwintersfan) said about not having to handwrite for a free auto.

However, I think the point Mike (VitoCo1972) was making is that handwritten requests for free autos add a more personal touch and that method probably gets more positive results.

The key word of course is "personal".

JMHO,
    PoppaJ >>

Exactly.
  • ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I type and sign. I always include personal touches in the letter and don't just riffle off a form letter.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • My method is a small business card. It let's them know I'm an autograph collector, and would appreciate their signature on the enclosed item for my personal collection. It also contains my contact info. I figure that shows I'm not trying to hide who I am. I have had players sign those as well for me.
    A handwritten letter might sway a few, but I just don't have that kind of time or patience.

• << <i>I type and sign. I always include personal touches in the letter and don't just riffle off a form letter. >>

I do the same thing... I have a standard letter but I always add personal things to it - such as I enjoyed watching you play or congrats on being in the HOF...
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been collecting TTM for nearly 30 years and I would never think of sending anything other than a hand written letter
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • I hand write all of my requests, but a lot of people over on SCN say they send out typed letters and never had a problem.
  • The real problem are the idiots who send 6 things to get signed. That's a bigger turn-off then someone sending a typed letter.

• << <i>The real problem are the idiots who send 6 things to get signed. That's a bigger turn-off then someone sending a typed letter. >>

I agree 100%, I always keep it to 1 card per request... If I want something else signed I wait several months before requesting again.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The real problem are the idiots who send 6 things to get signed. That's a bigger turn-off then someone sending a typed letter. >>

The big problem with a lot of typed letters is that they sometimes appear to be a form letter..

i.e. Dear _________________,

Please sign these

Thanks
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • If I wrote a letter the person would have a hard time figuring out what it says. I type a letter out but it is not a one size fits all form letter. I rarely send TTM so I can take the extra time to type why I am interested in their autograph. I do make it a point to sign a notation of some form at the bottom of the letter.
  • I sent typed letters to every living baseball player debuting up to 1983. Never had a problem. Many of the old time players will send you back a full page hand writen letter about the greatest players they played with/against.

90% of the players signed.

Dave
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I will start typing my letters and just making sure I add something personal that pertains to the player. My hand writing has a lot to be desired so it probably just makes it more difficult for them to read anyway.
  • I use both but find a form letter that I save in Word to work the best as all I do is change the name,print and send and get free autographs!