Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I would like some advice from all of my friends here (Poll inside)

Lately I've been on a huge vintage St. Louis Cardinals kick, mainly T206s. I've listed most of my non-cardinal, non-core collection cards on Craig's List and I think I have them sold (about 50,000 to 75,000 cards). Part of the collection that I had decided not to sell are my Adam Wainwright cards. It's not a huge collection but I do have about 45 different cards, 17 or 18 of which are certified autos. There is also a 1/1 printing plate and a couple non-autos numbered to 25 including an '08 A&G Bazooka backed mini #1/25. I'm guessing I have somewhere between $350 and $450 worth of Wainwright cards, most of which I purchased well before he became a star. So odds are I would make a decent profit on them. Here's where my poll comes into play: what should I do? Should I capitalize on Wainwrights success this year and sell them to buy more vintage? Or should I keep them and continue the collection? Or should I just shut up and crawl back in my hole and leave everyone alone? What say you?
Chris
My small collection
Want List:
'61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
Cardinal T206 cards
Adam Wainwright GU Jersey

Comments

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Sell
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That depends on why you collected it. Did you speculate on him or did you collect him because you liked him as a pitcher and because you are a Cardinals fan?

Shane

• Options
    Wait until he is closing again in the WS and sell.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>That depends on why you collected it. Did you speculate on him or did you collect him because you liked him as a pitcher and because you are a Cardinals fan? >>

I started collecting him because I met him in Spring Training in '06 and thought he was a very nice, down to earth athlete who I figured had a bright future ahead of him. And because I'm a Cardinals fan and his cards were cheaper than most of the other Cardinals. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    keep him for now!

future Cy young award winner
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Sell. Strike while the iron's hot.
  • Options
    Personally, I would hold on his cards there are still a lot of people speculating on him and I think 1-2 more years before you get max money for his Collectibles.

By the way I voted for Crawling back in your hole.image

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • Options
    Blasphemy!!!! image

Seriously though you have to ask yourself this question....Will I miss having the card(s) that you own now when they are gone? You're the only one who can answer that and if you are torn I would keep for now. But I'm just a simple hobby collector and care zero about how much the cards have been in the past... are currently... or will ever be worth! Sleep on it....and let's talk about it again tomorrow! image
  • Options

<< <i>By the way I voted for Crawling back in your hole.image

-John >>

You and several others it looks like. It feels nice to be loved. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
    Chris,

Looks like the T206 bug may have bit you bad. Enjoy the ride. I voted for selling the Wainrights because I think they are near max value plus you can pick up some T206's to feed your habit. But with your story of meeting him in mind you certainly have a reason to keep them. Either way, enjoy what you own and you can't go wrong. If you enjoy the T206's more than the Wainrights then your decision should an easy one. If you think you will someday regret selling the Wainrights then keep them. The T206's will always be there. Supply is not an issue with that set. But the Wainrights may never come back to you.

Brian
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    based on why you started i would say keep, it's a nice story that he's turned out so well, that or sell now and rebuy in a year or two...
  • Options
    After much consideration I have decided to take the majority of the boards advice and sell my Wainwright collection. I can always replace these cards and I still have the autos that I aquired in person to commemorate the Spring Training trip. Thanks to everyone for their advice and well wishes. I don't mean to spam but if anyone wants to see the list of cards I'm selling you view my listing here. Thanks, again, guys!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Options
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris...this is what happens when you ask a bunch of vintage guys what to do with your modern cards...good luck with the mass exodus!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    And you probably want to change your sig line too! image
  • Options
    quitter
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    I say keep it

Hope you arent doing it cause your pi$$ed at Topps for issuing a Wainwright ticket card
    for a game he didnt even play in
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Chris, If it were me, I would sell! You might have missed your window though, It might already be to late to capatalize on his great season, as the Cards went out of the playoffs so quickly.
  • Options
    do you really need the money that bad? for $400 bucks keep the cards, if you want to sell high, now is the time.

note: i also voted for the hole crawl lol. good choice!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris I would sell as well, go with more Vintage!
  • Options
    I voted sell. It is hard to turn down a good profit from sport cards. (The market only works if most lose money).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Who is Adam Wainright?
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Voted "other", if you want to sell, why not hold the better cards?. For example, noticed you have a 1/1, and a number of 1/25 cards. If you sell now and try to buy them back in a few years those cards will be very hard to replace. Of course if he wins the Cy Young award his cards should all go up.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is Adam Wainright?
    He was the oldest brother. There was also Hoss and Little Joe. I was not aware they made a set of trading cards of the Wainwrights.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Sell now while pitcher is on upside,if he blows out his arm your cards are worthless,money is wisely spent on vintage.
  • Options
    Sell now, his cards will NEVER reach these levels again. You'll be looking back in a few years mad at what you could have had.