Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New poster with a ? on Memorabilia card grading and holders

Hi everyone. As with many new posters, I've been a member for years and am finally posting. I feel like a stalker. I know everyone on here but no one knows me at all!!!!

Most of you seem to be baseball collectors but there are a few hockey guys. I'll add to the hockey guy group. I collect mostly raw 1968 - 1980 OPC and Topps issues. But I also have about 600-700 graded from 1969 through 73.

I collected as a kid and then started again in 2000 until I got completely disenchanted with the manufaturers and felt like I was never getting value for my $$. Stopped buying boxes completely and got the singles I wanted.

I'm a huge ITG fan. I love the vintage stuff and hate UD for what they did to the hockey part of the hobby. I also think that 'The Cup' cards are ridiculous (apologies to anyone that loves them). I hope that when their exclusive license ends that ITG can get back in there and produce more licensed vintage memorabilia cards. Anyone have any news on that?

So my question is related to memorabilia card grading and holders. I completed the 2001/02 Parkhurst 'pack inserted' memorabilia master set (ie no He Shoots He Scores point redemption cards for those familiar with them) of close to 400 cards. I'm thinking about getting them graded to both protect them, and so that in the future there is no question as to their authenticity (ie patch faking). It may seem silly to grade an entire modern set, but more than half of the cards are seams or emblems or number patches, so even the common jersey cards have some appeal to them. And about 1/3 of the cards are vintage players from the 50's and 60's. After 8 - 9 years, this is still by far my favourite set.

But I've never really seen any discussion on graded memorabilia cards. Can anyone tell me if the slabs are aesthetically pleasing? Does the card move around in the holder? Are they in plastic sleeves like the Beckett holders? How thick are they?

I had been thinking about Beckett, but don't want to pay upwards of $15/card. And although their holder is solid and has the plastic sleeve inside, I find them far too bulky. And this part may seem petty, but the plastic sleeve puts yet aanother layer between the card and me.

With the November special I am am thinking of taking this opportunity to submit a bunch of cards, but would appreciate any comments on the memorabila card holders.

Thanks ! Jim

PS how do I get rid of the avatar that is showing for me? Or show nothing?

Comments

• Options
    image...can't help you with the holder question...but you can change your avatar by clicking the "profile" button in the area upper right of center. I collect hockey too(along with Baseball and Basketball).
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    If you do decide you want to use BGS, there is a $5 per card, 45 day special, 100 card minimum running all year....
    see the bottom special here
    http://www.beckett.com/estore/info.asp?T=CP&D=2010&eskin=beckett
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    welcome

i was going to say for a hockey guy that is an odd avatar. i'm not sure how to change it but im sure teh guys around here can help out. i think its in your profile and browse icons, try that to start.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Jim,

Just wanted to say "Welcome to the Boards!"

PoppaJ
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I updated my avatar. If this is someone's personal avatar I apologize. I'll find somethig of my own. Theres a periodic upload avatar day isn't there?
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    welcome..

good luck
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards.

Share some scans of the set sometime....sounds like a cool project.

I think the opinion is still out on PSA graded patch/GU cards. The cases do not seem to protect all the cards as well as BGS seems to overall. Having said that, I can show you a BGS graded jersey card I have that was clearly damaged in its case. (I'll scan it if anyone wants?)

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks guys. I updated my avatar. If this is someone's personal avatar I apologize. I'll find somethig of my own. Theres a periodic upload avatar day isn't there? >>

Welcome to the boards, Jim! image

Yes, the avatar upload day is usually the 15th of the month, depending on how the weekends fall.

I don't have much experience with PSA graded memorabilia cards, so I have some of the same questions as you. I'll be anxious to see everyone else's thoughts on this.

Glad to have you here.

John
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • Options
    I'd call BGS first. Seems to not happen too often but.... I submitted 8 2005 Bowman Draft cards of one player. Card says jersey but they included some cards with pieces of the Jock tag from the JSY. All the cards I sent had the tag showing. Beckett returned my cards all raw, no refund or credit. I called and they stated the pictures they have on file dont match my cards. I said, "You have pics of all the cards?" I got a diverted response. I assume they have a few pics of random players. Thing is, I have saved around 30+ pics of these cards from various players and the jsy's were not all cut 100% the same. So you'll have different looking pieces. BGS told me to confirm these are real from Topps. Ok, I'll do you job. Topps did not have any pictures on file anymore.

I wanted the whole collection graded. Guess I can't.

Welcome to the forum !!
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i> Having said that, I can show you a BGS graded jersey card I have that was clearly damaged in its case. (I'll scan it if anyone wants?) >>

Yes, please. I am always curious as to how often this occurs and how bad the damage is, so I would be very interested in seeing what happened. I'm guessing Jim would be interested in seeing it too.
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • Options

<< <i>I'd call BGS first. Seems to not happen too often but.... I submitted 8 2005 Bowman Draft cards of one player..........BGS told me to confirm these are real from Topps. Ok, I'll do you job. Topps did not have any pictures on file anymore.

I wanted the whole collection graded. Guess I can't.

Welcome to the forum !! >>

Wow, that's unbelievable. Thanks for the warning. One of the Plante glove cards I have has what looks to be part of an old stitched tag. Not leather like a glove should be. I never would have expected issues similar to what you describe.
  • Options
    I was surprised too. Esp. since I sent in about 80% of the cards from that issue with them. You would think a scammer would not have all those cards. Oh well.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    First - Welcome to the boards!
    Second - let's see some scans!
    Second, it's "favorite" not "favourite"

• Options

This was an sub grade "upgrade" to one that is in my set. Sadly, was not able to add it to my set because of the edge which hit the top edge thing inside the case. You can clearly see how it raised the foil edge spot where the two met.

Still, BGS likely does graded GU cards better. Or more so, the younger collectors who more prefer GU prefer them in BGS I think.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

American English is not the first language I learned either.

I have mostly overcome the spelling issues, but not the
    expression/phrase issues.

wikipedia

Favourite

For other uses of "favourite" or "favorite", see Favourite (disambiguation).

A favourite (British English), or favorite (American English), was the intimate companion of a ruler or other important person. In medieval and Early Modern Europe, among other times and places, the term is used of individuals delegated significant political power by a ruler. It is especially a phenomenon of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, when government had become too complex for many hereditary rulers with no great interest or talent for it, and political constitutions were still evolving. The period 1600-1660 saw particular successions of all-powerful minister-favourites in much of Europe, particularly in Spain, England, France and Sweden.

The term is also sometimes employed by conservative writers who want to avoid terms such as "royal mistress", or "friend", "companion" or "lover" of either sex. Several favourites had sexual relations with the monarch (or his spouse), but the feelings of the monarch for the favourite covered the full gamut from a simple faith in the favourite's abilities, through various degrees of emotional affection and dependence, to sexual infatuation.

The term has an inbuilt element of disapproval, and is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as "One who stands unduly high in the favour of a prince", citing Shakespeare:"Like favourites/ Made proud by Princes".

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Welcome,

PSA will typically use the pack holder for memorbilia cards unless they are thin enough for a normal case which usually isnt the case. I have a bunch and am not crazy about them as they take up a ton of space and wont fin into any sort of standard box. Here is an example....

• Options

<< <i>Welcome,

PSA will typically use the pack holder for memorbilia cards unless they are thin enough for a normal case which usually isnt the case. I have a bunch and am not crazy about them as they take up a ton of space and wont fin into any sort of standard box. Here is an example....
    >>

I can't say that those are too impressive. And they're even bulkier than the BGS holder. I think with the tip on the BGS special and seeing what the holder looks like the decision is pretty simple. Seems like PSA has their strengths and aren't looking to expand into the GU market.

Thanks for the help everyone!

jim