Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Are the finest possible set ratings being updated?

I was just curious to know whether or not PSA is updating the finest possible set ratings (FPSR's)? The reason that I ask is that I have noticed that the FPSR's for the sets from the 1970's (including those I'm not building) haven't changed since I have been watching the registry or since the sets were placed on the system. I find this hard to believe, especially considering that I have personally submitted many 78's since the 1978 set was added to the registry that were the only graded examples at the time. Has anyone else noticed this?

Frank Smith
fesmith68@yahoo.com
Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Frank,

I can't say for sure.... And I know that you're correct that the Finest Set Rating does not change... But, I'm getting the impression that instead of that top Set Rating changing, that the cards inside the set are being "devalued" as better cards become available.

Last week, I entered about 75 cards into my 72 set. It brought me to my current 94.03% complete and my set rating was 8.12. The next day, several of the other 72 players added PSA 9's to their sets that hadn't been seen on the set registry before. The next time that I "updated" three PSA 8's in my set for three nicer looking PSA 8's, my set rating fell from 8.12 to 8.03. The only explanation that makes sense is that the value had dropped on several cards in the set since my last update.

In order to know for sure - this may be a question for BJ and her math whiz.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Frank -- I can guarantee you that those are simply database programming errors.
  • Options
    BJ told me in an e-mail once that the Finest Possible Set Ratings are not being updated but that they are moving in the direction of having that done. Most of the Finest Set Ratings just stay stagnant, but a few will even jump past 10.0.
  • Options
    Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the information.

Frank - Like David mentioned it sounds like you have experienced a database programming error. I had the same thing happen to me on my 1975 set. I upgraded one card, added three 9's and added two 8's, and my set rating dropped. I e-mailed BJ and she informed me that there were some sets that were still on an old database that were having problems calculating the set rating. BJ hand checked my set again using a excel spreadsheet and the rating dropped another couple of points. BJ also e-mailed me the spreadsheet so I could check to see if there were any more errors. Since that time, everything has worked fine. Although BJ said that they were correcting the problem, you might want to let here know about your situation. There might be some problems that you are not aware of.

Gemmint - Since the highest possible card value is 10, I'm curious to know how you would get a set rating over 10? Would this be due to some of the higher values placed on variation cards (ie. why sometimes the set rating is higher than the GPA)? Other than this scenario, I can't ever see that happening.

Frank Smith
    fesmith68@yahoo.com
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
    Late1970's, there is a glitch in the system that jumps the Finest Set Rating and the individual collector's set rating to ridiculous levels. It's an error, and BJ know all about it. Again, it's being worked on.

Example of FPSR over 10.0...1964 Topps Giants