Sean Landeta
Yale Lary
Shane Lechler
Reggie Roby
Todd Sauerbrun
Rohn Stark
Jerrel Wilson

Who would you add/delete?

I'll assume this should be organized so that the player's best qualifying rookie card was the one to be used for the set.

Nick
Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's my tentative list:

Sammy Baugh
    Darren Bennett
    Don Chandler
    Tommy Davis
    Jeff Feagles
    Jim Fraser
    Ray Guy
    Dave Jennings
    Sean Landeta
    Yale Lary
    Shane Lechler
    Reggie Roby
    Todd Sauerbrun
    Rohn Stark
    Jerrel Wilson

Who would you add/delete?

I'll assume this should be organized so that the player's best qualifying rookie card was the one to be used for the set.

Nick >>

Looks about right to me! lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    And it barely even overlaps with the HOF Rookies (and Future HOF Rookies) sets. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I like the list. The only guy in my book that may garnish entrance is Craig Hentrich. He is a fines` punter. Not enough recognition in my book.
  • Options
    Heres the cards:

Sammy Baugh-1948 Leaf 34
    Darren Bennett- 1995 CC Update U210
    Don Chandler-1957 Topps 23
    Tommy Davis-1962 Topps 158
    Jeff Feagles-1991 Stadium Club 147
    Jim Fraser-1963 Fleer 86
    Ray Guy-1974 Topps 219
    Dave Jennings-1976 Topps 183
    Sean Landeta-1984 Topps USFL 102
    Yale Lary- 1952 Bowman 140
    Shane Lechler-2000 Fleer 356
    Reggie Roby-1984 Topps 127
    Todd Sauerbrun-1995 Bowman' Best R56 or 1995 Ultra 423
    Rohn Stark-1983 Topps 216
    Jerrel Wilson-1969 Topps 252

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I don't know enough about some of the older guys to suggest any deletions, but a couple of guys I'd add are Rich Camarillo and John James.

Jasen
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd add Paul Maguire (RC = 1960 Fleer)

Steve
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Gotta have Horace Gillom-Browns
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    1951 Bowman #37 is his rookie card
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know enough about some of the older guys to suggest any deletions, but a couple of guys I'd add are Rich Camarillo and John James. >>

John is the only guy I can think of who is a glaring omission.
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Shane Lechler
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Nevermind he's on there.

Bryan Barker is my cousin, he did get into one pro-bowl.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Camarillo definitely needs to be added. Other possibilities are Matt Turk, Brian Moorman and Mitch Berger. I'd throw in George Blanda just for fun.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    didn't randall cunningham have a 90 yard punt once? or have i been hitting the crack pipe too hard again?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Herman "Thunder Foot" Weaver??
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭

My vote of course is a favorite from the 1955 Topps All American set, card No. 100:

Henry, "Fats" (Wilbur F.)
    Football
    b. Oct. 31, 1897, near Mansfield, OH
    d. Feb. 7, 1952

"Fats" Henry, also known as "Pete," was 5-foot-10 and he weighed 230 pounds as a college player at Washington And Jefferson, where he became the first student to letter in baseball, basketball, football and track. He looked fat, but was remarkably fast and agile; sportswriter Grantland Rice once described as "a human rubber ball."

A starting tackle for five years, beginning when he was a 17-year-old freshman in 1915, Henry was a second team All-American in 1918 and a first-team selection in 1919. He was exceptionally strong both as a blocker and as a defender and, because of his strength and speed, he was a master at blocking kicks. In a 1919 game, he charged into the opposition's backfield so fast that he grabbed the ball before it hit the punter's foot and ran 36 yards for a touchdown.

Henry joined the Canton Bulldogs of the NFL in 1920 and played for them through 1923. Because of a salary dispute, he went to the independent Pottsville Maroons in 1924 and was with the Akron Pros in the NFL the following season.

In 1925, Henry returned to Canton as a player and co-coach for two seasons. He began the 1927 season with the New York Giants but went back to Pottsville to reorganize and coach the Maroons. He retired after the 1928 season but was persuaded to play with the Staten Island Stapletons in 1930.

Henry was a prodigious kicker. For a long time, he was credited with an NFL record 94-yard punt against the Akron Pros on October 28, 1923. Recent research has shown that the kick travelled "only" 83 yards before rolling dead on the Akron 2-yard line. His 50-yard field goal on November 13, 1922, is the league record for a drop-kick, later tied but never broken. Henry also holds the NFL record for most consecutive conversions by drop-kick with 49.

Grantland Rice chose Henry for his all-time All-American team in 1952. The same year, Roger Treat named him to an all-time All-Pro team.

College Football Hall of Fame
    Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭

Is it possible to omit the legendary Jim Thorpe, a prolific punter?

Back in 1915, Thorpe had signed with the Canton Bulldogs, who paid him $250 a game, a tremendous wage at the time. The independent team was successful, and won titles in 1916, 1917 and 1919. In 1920, the Bulldogs were one of the fourteen teams to form the American Professional Football Association, which would become the National Football League two years later. Thorpe was named the APFA's first president, but continued to play for Canton, coaching the team as well. Between 1921 and 1923, Thorpe played for the La Rue, Ohio Oorang Indians, an all Native American team. Although the team went 3 and 6 in their first year, and 1 and 10 in their second year, Thorpe played well. In 1923 Thorpe kicked what would be a record 99 yard punt. However, at this point in the history of the NFL such records weren't kept. Today, Steve O'Neal of the New York Jets owns the record with a 98 yard punt.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    how about tom tupa.. he did score the first 2point conversion since they readded the rule in the 90's.. and yest cunningham did have a 90 yard punt
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome idea, but as usual, the punters get all of the credit. There will only be justice if an All-Time Long Snappers Set is created to parallel this set.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Camarillo definitely needs to be added. Other possibilities are Matt Turk, Brian Moorman and Mitch Berger. I'd throw in George Blanda just for fun. >>

How about James 'The Cannon' McBannon? Are you just going to leave him on the sideline?
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Curly Johnson NY Jets
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome idea, but as usual, the punters get all of the credit. There will only be justice if an All-Time Long Snappers Set is created to parallel this set. >>

Let's get it set up! Might as well.

You know, it might be easier for the All-Time Punters set if you set a numeric requirement. Say 1,000 punts equals automatic addition. Or maybe punt yardage. Over 40,000 and they get added. This way, it leaves no avenue for other collectors to request addition of guys they liked or that they saw play with their own eyes and who they think might be deserving. Keeps the set cut and dry, no debate. (note the sarcasm)

Jason
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    While you jest about the automatic numbers, punting is a facet of the game that hasn't changed that much over the decades.

Personally, I prefer some subjectivity rather than automatic inclusion numbers - at least in football, where there aren't certain numbers that pretty much guarantee HOF admission. That's why my initial list was heavily weighted around Pro Bowl and All-Pro lists.

I think I have 0 qualifying cards for this set, which makes me not a very good choice to run with setting it up.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭

<< <i>didn't randall cunningham have a 90 yard punt once? or have i been hitting the crack pipe too hard again? >>

He was actually someone who came to mind because of that. As I recall, and as an Eagles fan, it was 91 yards against the Giants in 1989 or 1990. It was a 3rd down quick kick when they were backed up on long yardage against their own goalline. Needless to say, the Giants weren't expecting it and it just rolled and rolled. They did that a couple times. He was such a fun player.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options

Personally, I prefer some subjectivity rather than automatic inclusion numbers - at least in football, where there aren't certain numbers that pretty much guarantee HOF admission.

I could not agree more
  • Options
    What about Dan Pastorini?
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------