Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

75 Topps Mini case....

What should this sell for?

El Linko

Comments

• Could we get enough people to buy a box ?
    I'd be in for one.

• Half that amount.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    That's Jim Duffett. He's probably subbed more minis than anyone else and has quite a collection on the registry.
    I'm guessing he's OK with keeping the case and will only let it go if someone was willing to pay REA-type prices for it.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Half that amount. >>

////////////////

Maybe less.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
    18 months ago that case would have sold for that price, esp. one with that type of provenance
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

"..That's Jim Duffett. .."

/////////////////////////

Yup.

A very trustworthy seller, in my experience.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    He's as reputable as they come. I own the #2 active set, and have bought many of my toughest low-pop commons from him.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    $12-14K.. max

<< <i>$12-14K.. max >>

That's about right. $800-$1000 a box, case has 16 boxes, plus maybe a small premium considering its origin
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember a few years back we did a 75 mini case break from Steve at BBCE that we paid over 20K for, and that was with the board discount..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    the market is now saturated with the product
  • I don't know if it was up there before, but he added the part about being open to half-decent offers. I don't know if this coul dreall ybe pulled off. you'd need 16 people to pony up $800-$1300 for boxes, and there doesn't seem to be that many willing participants. It just seems too iffy right now, given the economy and falling collectibles prices. Once those boxes are out of the case, the premium paid for this case from that reputible seller would be hard to pass on via future sales.
    Let's say $22,000 takes it.
    That's what, 1375 a box. Not terrible for that particular case, coming from Conlon.
    If current opened product dries up (which will happen eventually), that per-box price might start to look pretty good again.
    Regardless, this case would probably have to go to someone with a real long-term focus, someone who can afford to sit on it for 10+ years and resist the temptation.

If Jim's willing to break the case I'd be in for a box at least.

Edit: Not at 1,375, though...market price is lower than that, even for a case fresh box.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • overpriced in todays market and oversaturated.

<< <i>If Jim's willing to break the case I'd be in for a box at least.

Edit: Not at 1,375, though...market price is lower than that, even for a case fresh box. >>

Agreed. Too high for me, too. I don't even think a case break is the best way to go. That case is a fairly unique item as it is. Popping the staples would be a mistake. Alot of its future value will lie in the fact that it will be one of only a few remaining left.
    Agreed. Too high for me, too. I don't even think a case break is the best way to go. That case is a fairly unique item as it is. Popping the staples would be a mistake. Alot of its future value will lie in the fact that it will be one of only a few remaining left.

I agree 100%...I just thought if we start talking enough about a case break that we may just fool Jim into cracking that sucker open and selling off the boxes at $850 per, LOL..

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Beautiful sealed 1975 Topps Mini Wax case with 16 boxes. One of the last few known sealed cases. Why is it so important that the case is sealed? Buying wax is always a crap shoot to begin with. Many estimate that more than half, maybe much more, of wax is actually resealed. For that reason alone, it is important to know your seller well or buy sealed. Even graded packs and boxes are not immune. Minis come with a second risk: This was a test issue in 1975 sold by Topps in Michigan and California only. Qualilty control was poor, at best. Mini's typically run bad in bunches. Many of the loose packs you see offered are being sold that way because the first few packs came up poor and the seller chose not to open any more. Even complete graded boxes bear this risk, since the back card can be seen through the wrapper. This is a rarely offered, investment opportunity. The source of most of the minis sold for the last thirty years has passed away and this case comes from his estate, one of only twelve left out of what was once hundreds. Insured shipping, not an insignificant cost, is included in the sale. Please contact me for payment instructions as well as to ask any questions. Thanks - Jim

Many of you know I have listed this case several times this year. I have had several solid offers and a number of others asking me to offer it again later in the year, so here it is. By no means do I NEED to sell a case, but I have given thought to what I would buy if a case were liquid and have decided that I would LIKE to sell a case. If the right, real, offer comes in during the period of this auction, it will be sold. So if you have been thinking about it or have been serious all along, now is the time. Thanks much - Jim >>>

<<< Mini's typically run bad in bunches >>>

I don't know how many cases of these were produced, but as the seller states "Mini's typically run bad in bunches" and perhaps the lot number on this case is the same as the lot number of cases he knows aren't that good...considering his experience.

<<< Beautiful sealed 1975 Topps Mini Wax case with 16 boxes. One of the last few known sealed cases. Why is it so important that the case is sealed? Buying wax is always a crap shoot to begin with. Many estimate that more than half, maybe much more, of wax is actually resealed. For that reason alone, it is important to know your seller well or buy sealed. Even graded packs and boxes are not immune. Minis come with a second risk: This was a test issue in 1975 sold by Topps in Michigan and California only. Qualilty control was poor, at best. Mini's typically run bad in bunches. Many of the loose packs you see offered are being sold that way because the first few packs came up poor and the seller chose not to open any more. Even complete graded boxes bear this risk, since the back card can be seen through the wrapper. This is a rarely offered, investment opportunity. The source of most of the minis sold for the last thirty years has passed away and this case comes from his estate, one of only twelve left out of what was once hundreds. Insured shipping, not an insignificant cost, is included in the sale. Please contact me for payment instructions as well as to ask any questions. Thanks - Jim

Many of you know I have listed this case several times this year. I have had several solid offers and a number of others asking me to offer it again later in the year, so here it is. By no means do I NEED to sell a case, but I have given thought to what I would buy if a case were liquid and have decided that I would LIKE to sell a case. If the right, real, offer comes in during the period of this auction, it will be sold. So if you have been thinking about it or have been serious all along, now is the time. Thanks much - Jim >>>

I don't know how many cases of these were produced, but as the seller states "Mini's typically run bad in bunches" and perhaps the lot number on this case is the same as the lot number of cases he knows aren't that good...considering his experience.

On the contrary, Steve...this case is from one of the Conlon lots auctioned off by REA last spring and the quality of the cards in these cases was uniformly above average with regard to centering and overall condition. I'd feel pretty confident if I owned this case, that I had a premium quality cards.

<< <i><<< Beautiful sealed 1975 Topps Mini Wax case with 16 boxes. One of the last few known sealed cases. Why is it so important that the case is sealed? Buying wax is always a crap shoot to begin with. Many estimate that more than half, maybe much more, of wax is actually resealed. For that reason alone, it is important to know your seller well or buy sealed. Even graded packs and boxes are not immune. Minis come with a second risk: This was a test issue in 1975 sold by Topps in Michigan and California only. Qualilty control was poor, at best. Mini's typically run bad in bunches. Many of the loose packs you see offered are being sold that way because the first few packs came up poor and the seller chose not to open any more. Even complete graded boxes bear this risk, since the back card can be seen through the wrapper. This is a rarely offered, investment opportunity. The source of most of the minis sold for the last thirty years has passed away and this case comes from his estate, one of only twelve left out of what was once hundreds. Insured shipping, not an insignificant cost, is included in the sale. Please contact me for payment instructions as well as to ask any questions. Thanks - Jim

I don't know how many cases of these were produced, but as the seller states "Mini's typically run bad in bunches" and perhaps the lot number on this case is the same as the lot number of cases he knows aren't that good...considering his experience. >>

I mean one would think if he "knew" the case was loaded with 9's and 10's, it would have been busted a long time ago...and if he "knew" the case was loaded with losers, he would keep it sealed.

Of course there could be a possibility that the case could be a variance from the other cases of the same lot number...and have a lot of winners...but probably unlikely.

So my thought is it would be foolish to pay top dollar for this case for the purpose of busting it...if ya can buy it at a good discount, then perhaps it's worth a shot at a bust if ya wanna try to profit from it.
    Steve, see my previous post for the source of this case..

<< <i><<< Beautiful sealed 1975 Topps Mini Wax case with 16 boxes. One of the last few known sealed cases. Why is it so important that the case is sealed? Buying wax is always a crap shoot to begin with. Many estimate that more than half, maybe much more, of wax is actually resealed. For that reason alone, it is important to know your seller well or buy sealed. Even graded packs and boxes are not immune. Minis come with a second risk: This was a test issue in 1975 sold by Topps in Michigan and California only. Qualilty control was poor, at best. Mini's typically run bad in bunches. Many of the loose packs you see offered are being sold that way because the first few packs came up poor and the seller chose not to open any more. Even complete graded boxes bear this risk, since the back card can be seen through the wrapper. This is a rarely offered, investment opportunity. The source of most of the minis sold for the last thirty years has passed away and this case comes from his estate, one of only twelve left out of what was once hundreds. Insured shipping, not an insignificant cost, is included in the sale. Please contact me for payment instructions as well as to ask any questions. Thanks - Jim

On the contrary, Steve...this case is from one of the Conlon lots auctioned off by REA last spring and the quality of the cards in these cases was unoformly above average with regard to centering and overall condition. I'd feel pretty confident if I owned this case, that my product was premium. >>

Well then I'll tell ya what...if the group decides on buying the case and the price is right, then on your word of expertise I'd possibly be interested in taking a shot at a piece of it...depending on the price....and if it's a loser then it's a loser...it's only money. image

<< <i>Steve, see my previous post for the source of this case.. >>

yea, i posted that before I read your reply.
    I doubt that Jim would be willing to break the case but if he does, I'm in with you, Steve. I bought four full boxes from one of the other cases from this auction, and the cards were really sharp, especially for this issue, which is usually pretty brutal, especially on centering. I sent half a box to PSA and also got back a bunch of Mint 9s.

<< <i>I doubt that Jim would be willing to break the case but if he does, I'm in with you, Steve. I bought four full boxes from one of the other cases from this auction, and the cards were really sharp, especially for this issue, which is usually pretty brutal, especially on centering. I sent half a box to PSA and also got back a bunch of Mint 9s. >>

I just have had the itch to bust some vintage unopened packs, preferably the 60's but I'd also take 70 thru 75...but I don't have 28 dimes to blow on it...I'd just throw a dime or two at the itch and have some fun, perhaps get lucky and find some winners and make a few bucks as well. Been searching ebay for many months now, but so far in my view only scams or if I "trust" the situation, I get outbid. Oh well..........