Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1923 Germany Token

imageText

This is my first post. Just trying to find out what this coin/token is. It looks like play money or a token of some sort from Germany 1923. Anyone have any idea of what it is?

Comments

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Can't see the images or read the text...

love the "blue Moon coins" icon image
  • Options
    Although your picture cannot be brought up, what you have is most likely German emergency money, that was issued by about 70 different cities.
    If you could get up a picture we could tell you for certain what it is.

Ray
  • Options
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Welcome to the forum. Keep trying to edit the OP. At the moment the images don't load (at least for me) and the link labeled "Text" just takes me to "ftp://"

I'll check back latter to see if the OP is updated. I'm interested to see your coin.
  • Options
    image I can't attach this any other way. It keeps saying file is over 50 KB, which is the limit i guess?
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Yes you must resize your picture so that it is only 50 kb. Good luck. -Dan
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    If you email it to me I will host it for you, put coin in the email title...My email is in my profile, click on the little glasses on the top right of my post image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it is Notgeld- is there a Horse on the side with a 1923 date and a portrait of Stein on the other side?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I'm waiting in anticipation to see what this is, have my Menzel's ready to look it up.

Does it have "Spiel geld" on it? If so, it is play money. Very likely an inflation token being that it's 1923 (look up German hyperinflation).

Andy
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    It has a picture of an Indian on one side with the date and "Germany" on it. The reverse side is an "Eagle"?? Or at least it looks like an eagle. Also states "in god we trust" on the eagle side. I'm waiting to hear back from Billy Kingsley. He said he'd host the pics I sent him.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are the pictures...sorry it took me so long, I posted right before going to bed last night image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's play money with a design clearly derived from the American gold coins and presumably sold in America, though apparently it was made in Germany.

The word "Germany" is only used in the English language; it never appears on any coin or token actually for use in Germany or by German-speakers. The German word for "Germany" is Deutschland, and it is this word or a related word (eg. Deutsches Reich) that appears on official German coins.

"1923" can probably be taken as a reasonably accurate date of manufacture.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Right, as Sapyx notes, this is play money used in games.
    It's called Spiel Marke.

Ray
  • Options
    Thanks Bill Kingsley for posting this for me. I guess it's not a "million dollar coin" as I suspected. Thanks everyone for your help with the description also.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    i quite like it, a bit odd having Germany written on a coin though.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty cool spielmarke token.

Interesting how it mimics the Pratt design used on US gold $2.50 and $5.00 coins of the period (though raised instead of incuse).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    It belonged to my Uncle who was in the service in Germany for a while. I enjoy the history of these items more than anything else.

Becky, thanks for the Welcome!!!