Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Antiques Roadshow Miniature Teapot made from a Silver Half-dime

This originally aired in 1996 but was included in a unique segment that aired last Monday Oct. 23 The appraiser said it was a fascinating history of silversmithing and would probably sell for somewhere in the region of between $500 and $1,000.

Link to PBS Archive
Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing craftsmanship. I love how the tea pot bottom still shows details from the half dime.

I was reminded of a skillful bit of metalsmithing that was posted here.
    One member fabricated a tiny Harley Davidson out of gold.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Cute
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once made a crumpet out of a seated half but it wasn't pretty.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This originally aired in 1996 but was included in a unique segment that aired last Monday Oct. 23 The appraiser said it was a fascinating history of silversmithing and would probably sell for somewhere in the region of between $500 and $1,000.

Link to PBS Archive >>

What was the Valentine number?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This originally aired in 1996 but was included in a unique segment that aired last Monday Oct. 23 The appraiser said it was a fascinating history of silversmithing and would probably sell for somewhere in the region of between $500 and $1,000.

Link to PBS Archive >>

image >>

I just watched the video again with my glass and still can't tell. image

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Link to PBS Archive >>

image >>

I have no idea as to what you maybe referring to, I'm at a loss? Help me.

Ah....Dr. Daniel Webster Valentine
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    I was reminded of a skillful bit of metalsmithing that was posted here.

Swampboy, here ya go......

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Uncle made this...all gold saving the spring:
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's very cool. The only reason it would sell for $500 to $1000 is if MrHalfDime ran up against some fierce competition. image
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the second time I've seen that Antiques Roadshow, with the neat half dime teapot. Every time I see it I go into a funk with the realization that the item will never be sold because the woman's relative hand crafted it, so it is permanently impounded with the family's heirlooms. It sure would look nice alongside my other half-dime-related items. What are the chances there are two such items?
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't Savoyspecial make these in his spare time with his hammer toes image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>That's the second time I've seen that Antiques Roadshow, with the neat half dime teapot. Every time I see it I go into a funk with the realization that the item will never be sold because the woman's relative hand crafted it, so it is permanently impounded with the family's heirlooms. It sure would look nice alongside my other half-dime-related items. What are the chances there are two such items? >>

I would say pretty good.....the real question is what are the chances that you will ever run across another one......I would say the chances are pretty close to 0% image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Those are outstanding image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file