Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Anybody know the ballparks?

I am new to this forum. I was born in 57'and I was hoping that I could get some education from some of the old timers. I love the 1957 set. Because of the great photos, all the great rookie cards, the last Brooklyn Dodger, and New York Giants cards,and I believe that Upper Deck took a page from this set for their debut set in 89' photowise. I was wondering if anyone knows the ballpark that some of these photos were taken in. 7-Aparicio, 22-Snyder, 40-E.Wynn, 77-Foytack, 124-Philley, 181-Donovan, 195-Avila, 212-Colavito, 227-Staley all appear to be the same ballpark. My guess is an American League park, possibly old Yankee Stadium. Also, cards 242-C.Neal, and 277- Podres, could that be Ebbets Field in the background. I obviously never attended Ebbets Field, and only made it old Yankee Stadium once before it was remodeled in the 70's, and don't recall it well. I know that Topps did most of their photo work in the later New York ballparks in the 60's, and 70's. So, my guesses might be close.

Comments

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    i am going to say griffith stadium washington.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not Griffith Stadium. In his card, Jerry Snyder is wearing a Washington uniform - the road uniform. Doubt he'd be wearing a road Washington uni at Griffith Stadium.

Given the players pictured were all wearing road jerseys, we can eliminate:

- Comiskey (Chicago)
    - Tiger Stadium (Detroit)
    - ??? Stadium (Cleveland - can't remember the name now)
    - Griffith Stadium (Washington)

That leaves us:

Boston
    New York
    Kansas City
    Baltimore

It's obviously not Boston since left field is showing and there's no Green Monster. I don't think it's Yankee Stadium either.

So that leaves us Baltimore and Kansas City.

It's not Memorial Stadium in Baltimore since there's a pillar in left field and Memorial Stadium had no upper deck and no pillars. So that leaves us Kansas City.

Doesn't look like Kansas City either, quite frankly.

So I dunno image

Best guess? Yankee Stadium but am not sure.

Tabe
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong, but I remember being told more than once that all the photos for the cards from 1957 were taken at Ebbet's field, the polo grounds, or Yankee stadium.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not Griffith Stadium. In his card, Jerry Snyder is wearing a Washington uniform - the road uniform. Doubt he'd be wearing a road Washington uni at Griffith Stadium.

Given the players pictured were all wearing road jerseys, we can eliminate:

- Comiskey (Chicago)
    - Tiger Stadium (Detroit)
    - ??? Stadium (Cleveland - can't remember the name now)
    - Griffith Stadium (Washington)

That leaves us:

Boston
    New York
    Kansas City
    Baltimore

It's obviously not Boston since left field is showing and there's no Green Monster. I don't think it's Yankee Stadium either.

So that leaves us Baltimore and Kansas City.

It's not Memorial Stadium in Baltimore since there's a pillar in left field and Memorial Stadium had no upper deck and no pillars. So that leaves us Kansas City.

Doesn't look like Kansas City either, quite frankly.

So I dunno image

Best guess? Yankee Stadium but am not sure.

Tabe >>

I live in Baltimore and I need to reassure you that Memorial Stadium did have an upper deck and supporting pillars. Most of the card's backgrounds really do look like Baltimore's old Memorial Stadium. I went out a couple hundred times over many , many years. I started going in 1968 , but I don't think there were that many billboards , as shown on the cards.

I may be wrong but , it really looks like Memorial stadium.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Tony,

Ebbetts Field and the Polo Grounds both show up in the backgrounds of many cards in the '57 set.

PoppaJ
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I was wondering if anyone knows the ballpark that some of these photos were taken in. 7-Aparicio, 22-Snyder, 40-E.Wynn, 77-Foytack, 124-Philley, 181-Donovan, 195-Avila, 212-Colavito, 227-Staley all appear to be the same ballpark. My guess is an American League park, possibly old Yankee Stadium. >>

Yes. The low walls and signage are a tipoff.

<< <i>Also, cards 242-C.Neal, and 277- Podres, could that be Ebbets Field in the background. >>

It is. The Schafer Beer and Abe Stark signs were hallmarks of the old place.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the help. I was pretty sure about the Dodger cards, and Ebbets Field. I had a good suspicion that the A.L. cards were Yankee Stadium, but could not be sure those pics that you attached confirmed it. (Great pics, by the way)
    Also, thanks to all who responded with clues and guesses.
  • Options
    - ??? Stadium (Cleveland - can't remember the name now) -

ANSWER IS
    MUNICIPALimage

SKY
    The Sky Pilot

• Options

<< <i>I live in Baltimore and I need to reassure you that Memorial Stadium did have an upper deck and supporting pillars. Most of the card's backgrounds really do look like Baltimore's old Memorial Stadium. I went out a couple hundred times over many , many years. I started going in 1968 , but I don't think there were that many billboards , as shown on the cards.

I may be wrong but , it really looks like Memorial stadium.---- Sonny >>

Obviously things could have changed over the years but the cards, to me, don't appear to match up with this:

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i> I had a good suspicion that the A.L. cards were Yankee Stadium, but could not be sure those pics that you attached confirmed it. >>

Look at the Wynn card, specifically the signs behind him, side by side with the photo of the Stadium. The advertising signs on the card correspond with the signs on the top of the left field bleachers in the image of Yankee Stadium. Coke on the left, the beer bottle next to it, the red and white one and the red one with the flying "A". The green stands are the same and so is the scoreboard on the low wall.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I live in Baltimore and I need to reassure you that Memorial Stadium did have an upper deck and supporting pillars. Most of the card's backgrounds really do look like Baltimore's old Memorial Stadium. I went out a couple hundred times over many , many years. I started going in 1968 , but I don't think there were that many billboards , as shown on the cards.

I may be wrong but , it really looks like Memorial stadium.---- Sonny >>

Obviously things could have changed over the years but the cards, to me, don't appear to match up with this:

Tabe >>

I have a book called " Baseball in Baltimore ". On page 122 , there is a picture of Memerial Stadium in 1957 . I can tell from that photo , that the photos shown on the cards ARE NOT from Memerial Statuim. I take myself out of the guessing game. --- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    If you goggle " griffith stadium " , it will give you numerous listings , that show how Griffith stadium was layed out . It looks like it may be a fit for our question.

I'm a "techno-tard " and lack the needed brain matter to lift and paste .

See what you think , dudes .---- Sonny
  • Options

<< <i>If you goggle " griffith stadium " , it will give you numerous listings , that show how Griffith stadium was layed out . It looks like it may be a fit for our question.

See what you think , dudes .---- Sonny >>

One of the pictures features a Senators player in a road uniform. I doubt the Sens wore their road jerseys while playing at Griffith Stadium in 1956.

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you goggle " griffith stadium " , it will give you numerous listings , that show how Griffith stadium was layed out . It looks like it may be a fit for our question.

See what you think , dudes .---- Sonny >>

One of the pictures features a Senators player in a road uniform. I doubt the Sens wore their road jerseys while playing at Griffith Stadium in 1956.

Tabe >>

I understand the part about the uniforms . At the web site " ballparksofbaseball.com " , you can go down the whole list of stadiums. Its easy to knock out the obvious ones . From the short list , you can then goggle the others to get more pictures .

I love a good little hunt now and then . I can't wait to see where this one ends up.--- Sonny
  • Options
    22 - Snyder is Yankee Stadium. You can see the light standard that is on the upper deck and a blur of a red billboard that is the red sign with the "A" and ajoining wings that is visable in other Yankee Stadium photo of the set.
    40 - Wynn is also Yankee Stadium. It has the red billboard with the A and wings in more clarity.
    77 - Foytack also Yankee Stadium with the red billboard above in more clarity.
    125 - Philley same as above.
    181 - Donovan same as Foytack.
    195 - Avila same as Foytack.
    212 - Colavito same as Foytack.
    227 - Staley same as Foytack.
    7 - Aparicio same as Foytack.

I didn't think there were many photos taken outside New York for the set. The only one I am certain is not taken in NY is 345 - Paul Smith because of the light standard in the background, which I think is Forbes Field.

Now I'd just like to know who is advertising on the red billboard....
  • Options

<< <i>22 - Snyder is Yankee Stadium. You can see the light standard that is on the upper deck and a blur of a red billboard that is the red sign with the "A" and ajoining wings that is visable in other Yankee Stadium photo of the set.
    40 - Wynn is also Yankee Stadium. It has the red billboard with the A and wings in more clarity.
    77 - Foytack also Yankee Stadium with the red billboard above in more clarity.
    125 - Philley same as above.
    181 - Donovan same as Foytack.
    195 - Avila same as Foytack.
    212 - Colavito same as Foytack.
    227 - Staley same as Foytack.
    7 - Aparicio same as Foytack.

I didn't think there were many photos taken outside New York for the set. The only one I am certain is not taken in NY is 345 - Paul Smith because of the light standard in the background, which I think is Forbes Field.

Now I'd just like to know who is advertising on the red billboard.... >>

I agree with this . I googled Yankee stadium 1956 and all the advertisements are clearly seen . --Sonny

• Options
    Ok, with everyone's help, and the pictures that were supplied by GDM67, I think that we have established that the pictures are Yankee Stadium, and Ebbets Field. I think that the red advertsing sign in the background at Yankee Stadium is an old American Oil sign.
  • Options
    Great find on the American Oil sign. I called that a "flying A" just because that's what it looks like. I had no idea that was the actual term. In point of fact, I can't ever remember knowing there was a company called American Oil.