Home Sports Talk
Options

The sophisticated, urbane yanks-phillies analysis we expect from a world class town like NYC

Comments

• Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    The Post is probably not the first place one should look, if one is seeking the "urbane and sophisticated." To do so is rather silly.

The Post tends to cater to the lowest common denominator, and I'd venture that every big city has an equivalent journalistic rag. In such a teeming metropolis, there is indeed something for everyone.

Reading this post, I am left wondering just what an "urbane" sports analysis would read like-- it's a rather inappropriate adjective to use when describing a sports analysis image

Edit: this WS is a meeting of two elite baseball teams, not the opening salvo of a civil war between two virtually neighboring U.S. cities. People who get all their news from sources like The Post and its equivalent tend to forget that. That said, if you are the type who appreciates what is "urbane and sophisticated," New York has an abundance of world class opportunities to offer.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NYPost - you might need your dictionary for this one in case you dont understand something

Definitely classy image >>

They know the Yankees are a strong favorite in the series and obviously they're feeling good about it.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys like hyper guy come out of the woodwork when the Yanks reach the series.Just another Yankee hating hack.

Although, the more hacks that surface means its a good time to be a Yankee fan!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I def prefer to spend more time rooting for my team and discussing how it can improve than hating the other team.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I lurk and read all the time, but only post when the spirit moves me.

I'm afraid to post here or lawnmowerman and grote will make fun of me image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I def prefer to spend more time rooting for my team and discussing how it can improve than hating the other team. >>

You, sir, are no bleacher creature. You must be one of the guys in the $5,000 seats behind the plate in a suit.
  • Options
    Haven't worn a suit in years, and am only in my early thirties! That said, during Game #2 of the ALCS I gladly shelled out some fifteen bucks or so for one of the new stadium's Lobel's steak sandwiches, which was divine.

This should be an exciting and close series.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NYPost - you might need your dictionary for this one in case you dont understand something

Definitely classy image >>

As a temporary Phillies fan, that article hurt my feelings. image

Phillies in 5! image
  • Options

The same old story so Philly people are used to it. Let everyone believe the lies.

However I would like to pass along the warning that anyone caught in Philly wearing a Yankees insignia during the Series will be subject to public stoning. image
  • Options
    Seriously, you can't use the word sophisticated when it involves the NY Post. The Post is only a few steps above the National Enquirer. They probably still print the WWE results in their sports section...
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Post is probably not the first place one should look, if one is seeking the "urbane and sophisticated." To do so is rather silly.

The Post tends to cater to the lowest common denominator, and I'd venture that every big city has an equivalent journalistic rag. In such a teeming metropolis, there is indeed something for everyone.

Reading this post, I am left wondering just what an "urbane" sports analysis would read like-- it's a rather inappropriate adjective to use when describing a sports analysis image

Edit: this WS is a meeting of two elite baseball teams, not the opening salvo of a civil war between two virtually neighboring U.S. cities. People who get all their news from sources like The Post and its equivalent tend to forget that. That said, if you are the type who appreciates what is "urbane and sophisticated," New York has an abundance of world class opportunities to offer. >>

Do you live in NY? Everybody in the city reads the Post so I don't know where you're coming from with the "caters to lowest common denominator" comment. Get on the subway between 7 and 8 and ride with the working professionals and count how many of the bankers/traders/attorneys are reading the Post vs. everything else combined. Its not even close. And here's another hint- No one in NY actually reads the NY Times.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The New York Posts Sports section is EXCELLENT.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people in NYC read the Post because Murdoch has an editorial policy restricting the use of more than three polysyllabic words per article.,image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The New York Posts Sports section is EXCELLENT. >>

He is right. The paper may be "tab-loidy" overall, but the sports section is very good.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The New York Posts Sports section is EXCELLENT. >>

He is right. The paper may be "tab-loidy" overall, but the sports section is very good.

Agreed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Almost as classy as that blowhard Cole Hamels.

Steve
    Good for you.