Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2009-P Business strike dimes just got trashed.

LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok where did the sixty some MS66FB's comes from. The pop for these has been less than fifteen and suddenly there are over sixty.
Did we get another bunch of mint set satin finish coins graded wrong or what.
Inquiring minds want to know?

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to the nickels. Went from 8 total to over 100.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    So have the flood of Mint set coins run over the banks again.
    We had the same thing happen in the quarters a few times if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a telephone meeting set with the J. Hernandez for tomorrow morning to investigate (and hopefully resolve) this situation.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I would check with the 5 top E-Bay sellers! image I noticed when the new sets/year comes out, there is a big jump in the population.
    Earlycoin

My E-Bay Stuff
  • Options
    Go get-em Mitch image
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't us
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just seems like there are more flippers, or at least the flippers have been sending in more coins than usual. The good news, is the prices are not going crazy.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone made or even seen a 09D yet?
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone made or even seen a 09D yet? >>

Not me I can't find any of them.

• Options
    I spoke with J. Hernandez this morning. The cursory review suggests these coins are true business strike coins. JH plans to do a couple more things, including interview the submittor(s), though before closing out his investigation of these coins.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Given the grades (MS65 and MS66, for the nickels at least) I would not think they were satin coins. Plus, they are all P mints.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to add to the high pops. Five gems sent in this week on the '09-P business strike dimes.

Here is the reverse on one I found (didn't send this one in).
    Check those bands!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Very nice bands..Nice Die Crack as well.
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    Wondercoin: I wasnt aware that Mr. Hernandez is able to investigate submission grade results. If this is the case is it possible to find out anything regarding the 2000 P MS69 Sac Dollars?
  • Options
    I asked him to check on those a couple years ago when they were discussed in connection with a Sac $1 tread. I believe they appeared "real" best he could tell.

As a sidenote - I recall being informed on who slabbed some of those back in 2000. I personally questioned whether the submissions could have possibly contained "Goodacre" coins (just a thought - I have no information to suggest that). I suppose one day when the coins come public we will all see what they look like.

Wondercoin

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    And that's why it's best to wait for the dust to settle and the pops to relax before buying any current year coins... yes, it's true, you might end up with the occasional loss of a possible rarity, but the other side is... when the pop of 8 turns into 100 over night... and the $750 price goes to $20... is it still worth it?

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Steve: Good point. But, on the other hand, I waited to buy one of those 2000-P MS69 Sacs (ecoinquest asked me about) about 9 years ago for my set and the pop has not moved a single coins since then!! You just never know!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    The nickels and dimes are now on ebay, offered by "gotjacollectibles". They are offering multiples of MS65 and MS66 for each denomination.
  • Options
    Looks like bj-coins and collectibles has them as well.

Since when did the dealers get into the modern business strikes?
    With the amount of coins that are going up for sale, they will be lucky now
    to try to get grading fees.
    This will show them and hope they leave 2010 alone.......image
  • Options
    Has anyone made a MS67FB yet for 09P?
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Has anyone made a MS67FB yet for 09P? >>

<< <i>Yes >>

What! It's not on E-Bay yet?

Earlycoin

My E-Bay Stuff
  • Options
    Who is going to take credit for the dime? Too bad the PCGS Registry doesnt require the coin like they do ATS.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take credit for last years 2008-D MS68FB Business strike Pop=(1/0) image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I just received my results. Out of the five (2009-P Business Strikes) I sent in Three at MS66FB, and Two at MS65FB.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Found an 09P in MS67FT in a NGC holder. Very nice coin and looks great in my set. Now if I could just find those other few I need to complete it.....
  • Options
    Guys - there are millions of these, the fed did not release any because the record redemptions of "coin jar " coins that kept local fed inventories of coins with plenty to spare. In fact the FED did not even put in orders for ANY 09 Roosies or Jeffs from the Denver mint, however they were still minted. They will ALL make it to the market, but for now sit in mint inventory and not fed inventory. They will be here eventually, albeit in 2010 and not 2009 so don't go frantic and buy the first ones for moon money, there will be plenty when the time comes.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys - there are millions of these, the fed did not release any because the record redemptions of "coin jar " coins that kept local fed inventories of coins with plenty to spare. In fact the FED did not even put in orders for ANY 09 Roosies or Jeffs from the Denver mint, however they were still minted. They will ALL make it to the market, but for now sit in mint inventory and not fed inventory. They will be here eventually, albeit in 2010 and not 2009 so don't go frantic and buy the first ones for moon money, there will be plenty when the time comes. >>

Wise words my friend!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Any 2009 Dimes or Nickels available yet anywhere???
  • Options
    There are some from a couple of dealers in Flordia on eBay for moon money.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The nickels and dimes are now on ebay, offered by "gotjacollectibles". They are offering multiples of MS65 and MS66 for each denomination. >>

I would do my homework with any company before buying then draw your own conclusions.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I think it's interersting there are still no PCGS graded 2009-D mint state coins... these things are still locked away.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it's interersting there are still no PCGS graded 2009-D mint state coins... these things are still locked away.

Steve >>

I have yet to see a raw one let alone a graded one (same thing for 2009-D dimes). I had to get satin finish coins for my Dansco's.
  • Options
    PCGS looks like they may of had a number problem.
    Just did a "what if" on my sets, to see how many new coins are out there.
    They now have listed a 2009-D MS69 b/s Dime.
    Kinda hard when there are none to be found.....
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS looks like they may of had a number problem.
    Just did a "what if" on my sets, to see how many new coins are out there.
    They now have listed a 2009-D MS69 b/s Dime.
    Kinda hard when there are none to be found..... >>

A 69 would be great to see if real that 67Fb was a looker and I only found the one of those.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it's interersting there are still no PCGS graded 2009-D mint state coins... these things are still locked away.

Steve >>

I have yet to see a raw one let alone a graded one (same thing for 2009-D dimes). I had to get satin finish coins for my Dansco's. >>

Well, let's do the math; 40 million translates into almost $2 million worth of 2009-D nickels.
    With each nickel weighing 5 grams X 39,840,000 nickels will equal 199,200,000 grams
    or with 453.59237 grams per pound, this happens to be 439160.8262722751 lbs
    and divided by the 2000 lb bags the US Mint uses these days equates to
    a mere 219.58 bags of nickels.
    Since there are 12 Federal Bank Reserves, each could get 18.29 bags each but some
    would get more than others.
    But my point is, there are 219 of these bags scattered across the country, where are they?
    And I also recently read that the US mint has started a special reserve to store all the extra coins plus the new coins. So it's possible that these nickels are still in Denver. They're just sitting there waiting to get shipped out and mixed (God forbid)(more banged up) with the old nickels.
    If anything can be learned from all this, it's obvious that we can't do without coins since the majority of the folks that make use of them make up 80% of good old America.
    And by the time anything comes out of Denver, don't expect anything to grade above MS65FS.
    All we need now is a hot looking chick to frequent the outer restaurants and get hooked up with the one of the mint janitors.............well, you know the rest of the story.
    We get nickels! image

Leo

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    But my point is, there are 219 of these bags scattered across the country, where are they?
    And I also recently read that the US mint has started a special reserve to store all the extra coins plus the new coins. So it's possible that these nickels are still in Denver. ;

Leo >>

I have heard from a very good source they are all still in mint vaults. The Fed ordered 0 dimes and Nickels from the denver mint this year. Once we work through the fed inventories they will get released.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    And I also recently read that the US mint has started a special reserve to store all the extra coins plus the new coins. So it's possible that these nickels are still in Denver. ;

Leo >>

I have heard from a very good source they are all still in mint vaults. The Fed ordered 0 dines and Nickels from teh denver mint this year. Once we work through the fed inventories they will get released. >>

If they're still in Denver, can you imagine how much room 219 1 ton bags take up. They must have had the coins distributed to the 12 Fed bank reserves to avoid that problem and to keep the truckers busy by now. There must be a group of protestors out there making a move to get these coins before they go through the counting and coin roll machines. If not, we should start one by distributing a letter or an email to all those who will send them to the bank reserves or the US Mint. Where the he!! are my nickels would not be a good approach but would be the mentality. They, whoever has them, could make them available in $50/1000 coin bags (I could probably carry 7 or 8 of those puppies before collapsing a half block away image ) and sell them for a couple of hours for one day. Anyone want to write up the memo?

Leo

• Options
    Still looking for 2009-D Dimes!!
  • Options
    Anyone found any 2009 P or D Business Strike Dimes or nickels?
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone found any 2009 P or D Business Strike Dimes or nickels? >>

Guess I have a project to do, image

Got a 2009 P Lincoln Formative Years PCGS MS67RD image
  • Options

<< <i>The nickels and dimes are now on ebay, offered by "gotjacollectibles". They are offering multiples of MS65 and MS66 for each denomination. >>

For those who may be interested, "gotjacollectibles" is operated by Alan Hager and/or members of his family. You'all remember Alan Hager, don'tcha? I sure do.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector