Home Sports Talk
Options

King Kong versus Godzilla

I'm a Met fan and I hate the Phillies but in this series I'll be rooting for them to beat the Yankees. As much as I don't like the Phillies, I do respect what they've accomplished without spending insane amounts of money the way the Yankees do The Phillies are a very good and young team. I hope my Mets will be in their position one of these years.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm a Met fan and I hate the Phillies but in this series I'll be rooting for them to beat the Yankees. As much as I don't like the Phillies, I do respect what they've accomplished without spending insane amounts of money the way the Yankees do The Phillies are a very good and young team. I hope my Mets will be in their position one of these years. >>

It's not as though the Phillies are budget shoppers here. They've got the 7th highest payroll and have spent over half of what the Yanks have. I don't know why people always focus on the fact the Yanks spend so much money. I HATE the Yankees. But the problem is in the fact baseball doesn't have a cap, not that the Yankees take advantge of that fact. Until baseball establishes a cap, I don't see how baseball championships can ever be taken seriously.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< They've got the 7th highest payroll >>>

...but getting into back to back World Series, I'd say they're doing something right.
  • Options

<< <i><<< They've got the 7th highest payroll >>>

...but getting into back to back World Series, I'd say they're doing something right. >>

Sure. They simply spent more wisely than others. image But it's still a lot of money spent, no matter how one spins it.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    was there a better off season pickup than Ibanez?

was there a better trade deadline pick than Lee?

Phils front office is owning it.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NBA has a cap and its still the same teams on top.
    A salary cap is not the end all to baseballs disparity. Getting rid of crap ownership and teams in minor league towns is.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a Met fan and I hate the Phillies but in this series I'll be rooting for them to beat the Yankees. As much as I don't like the Phillies, I do respect what they've accomplished without spending insane amounts of money the way the Yankees do The Phillies are a very good and young team. I hope my Mets will be in their position one of these years. >>

The Mets will NEVER be in the Phillies shoes as long as the name Wilpon is associated with them. You can bank on it.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>The NBA has a cap and its still the same teams on top.
    A salary cap is not the end all to baseballs disparity. Getting rid of crap ownership and teams in minor league towns is. >>

Nope, but it makes sure that you have to have the right guys in the front office and the bench/sidelines/dugout to succeed. It also still gives the small teams more of a fighting chance. Most of the small teams cannot even afford more than one big name player because of where the salaries are heading. But if you limit spending, it allows each team the same opportunity.

You still need a good farm system and/or talent scouts too. People used to talk about all the money the Red Wings spent in FA as being their only reason for success, but look at their team now. Since the cap, they have basically just brought players up from their system, always known to be one of the best in the league. They still continue to succeed and their best players have all came up through the system.
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's not as though the Phillies are budget shoppers here. They've got the 7th highest payroll and have spent over half of what the Yanks have. I don't know why people always focus on the fact the Yanks spend so much money. I HATE the Yankees. But the problem is in the fact baseball doesn't have a cap, not that the Yankees take advantge of that fact. Until baseball establishes a cap, I don't see how baseball championships can ever be taken seriously. >>

OMG, the phils have SPENT OVER HALF of the yankees payroll... image
  • Options

<< <i>Phils front office is owning it. >>

That is the difference between the Phils and my Braves. The Braves had the same opportunites to pick up the same players everyone else did and they picked up none of them.
  • Options

<< <i>OMG, the phils have SPENT OVER HALF of the yankees payroll... image >>

Well it's still a substantial sum, which is like $25 million more than over half of the other teams in the league. Don't tell me you'd be complaining if the Phillies were out there spending another $80 million this off-season on FA's. If you thought it gave them a better chance to win, I suspect you'd be cheering the moves. But Phillies fans are using the payroll argument as an excuse to justify why their team might lose. But they somehow think it will bolster the perception of their team if they win. It wont. Nobody will care the day after the WS except Phillies fans.

And BTW, Philly spent twice as much on their payroll last year as Tampa Bay did. Does that lessen the value of their championship last year considering they spent so much more than Tampa did?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< Well it's still a substantial sum, which is like $25 million more than over half of the other teams in the league. Don't tell me you'd be complaining if the Phillies were out there spending another $80 million this off-season on FA's. >>>

No, I wouldn't complain...but it would be foolish and unnecessary.

<<< If you thought it gave them a better chance to win, I suspect you'd be cheering the moves. But Phillies fans are using the payroll argument as an excuse to justify why their team might lose. But they somehow think it will bolster the perception of their team if they win. It wont. Nobody will care the day after the WS except Phillies fans. >>>

You're wrong on this point - no Phillies fan who I know will make that complaint - we've been very satisfied with the Phillies acquisitions..and staying within a reasonable budget that doesn't bankrupt the team or the league. The "complaint" was a number of years ago when the Phillies weren't willing to compete for free agents - Now we are willing and doing a dam good job of it...and if we get beat in the series then we get beat...no complaints and I'll be quite proud of the Phillies win or lose.

<<< And BTW, Philly spent twice as much on their payroll last year as Tampa Bay did. Does that lessen the value of their championship last year considering they spent so much more than Tampa did? >>>

No it didn't lessen the "value" at all - the Phillies were the championship team - Case closed.