Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My son is going to Europe

He and his starter wife will be visiting several countries, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany. What would be a nice coin or set to bring the old man when they get back?
"If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Do you like Euros? He can go to the Monnaie de Paris gift shop and get a mint set or commemorative for you.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they get to Stockholm, have them visit the Royal Coin Cabinet and raid the gift shop. The books on offer are the best option, but they have some coins and other things.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I sent the site address to him, don't know yet if he will consider it.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He and his starter wife >>

Newlywed?
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825

<< <i>

Newlywed? >>

I would have guessed, "first wife," with the anticipation of subsequent models. You know, like a starter house, you get it, then upgrade when the time is right. A very funny expression - "starter wife."
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I believe the term "starter wife" is a bit sexist and untowards, perhaps he has not nice thoughts about his daughter in law.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>

Newlywed? >>

No, not yet. Just trying her out for a few years though I expect (as does everyone else) that they will indeed get married. It was a term I coined one night when we were all together playing cards and having a few delightful beverages.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually I believe the term "starter wife" is a bit sexist and untowards, perhaps he has not nice thoughts about his daughter in law. >>

I like her tremendously. A very smart woman and pleasant to be around.
  • Options
    try going to the local banks. I worked in Germany about 12 years ago and I went to the bank and asked what collector coins they had. As it turned out they had silver (2 mark I think) coins that weren't for general circulation and sold at face value.
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    The suggestion about the Monnaie de Paris is a good one; they sell plenty of collector coins IIRC (although I think they're generally pricey) and have a very nice display, although if they can't read or understand French they'll just be staring at a lot of cool coins. It's right on the Left Bank and easy to find, although not especially close to any Metro stations.

They'll probably have the chance to get all sorts of Euros in change through most of their travels; occasionally, one of the special 2 Euro pieces (circulating commems) will pop up in change as well.

Paris has a single street where all the coin dealers are -- I think it's Rue Vivienne -- in a fairly central part of town. I found it by accident, and stumbled across a very nice coin shop where the proprietor spoke excellent English and had time to talk to me about coins for a while. It turns out that we have a link to his shop buried in the Heritage Auctions site -- and that I'd been planning to stop there even if I hadn't found it by accident. I've seen bunches of coin shops together in other places in Europe, notably Madrid; I think this has the effect of keeping prices reasonable.

Also, all the places you listed use Euros except Sweden. That might be a good place to keep an eye out for numismatic opportunities.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>If they get to Stockholm, have them visit the Royal Coin Cabinet and raid the gift shop. The books on offer are the best option, but they have some coins and other things. >>

Hey, is that a Nicaragua coin on your signature area?
  • Options
    I saw the lad this weekend and he says e is indeed going to Stockholm. I told him I had an address for him to visit and when I said what it was he laughed.

quite a lot in fact.