Home Sports Talk
Options

Baseball analyst Steve Phillips fired from ESPN

Steve Phillips, the former general manager for the Mets and ESPN baseball analyst has been fired from the network after he admitted to an affair with a 22-year-old production assistant. His admission was splashed about in the NY press for days.

A spokesperson for ESPN said: "Steve Phillips is no longer working for ESPN. His ability to be an effective representative for ESPN has been significantly and irreparably damaged, and it became evident it was time to part ways."

The admission came after his girlfriend began harrassing Phillips´s wife following him breaking up with her. She sent Mrs. Phillips a letter describing their relationship and contacted Phillips´s son through Facebook. Her status at ESPN is unknown.

Comments

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Wow, career over for that chubby thing? Way to go Steve image
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will show up on MLB Network next spring, no doubt.
  • Options
    If he does you can be sure they will have a strict code of conduct policy written into his
    contract.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Stupid is as stupid does"

Mr. Gump
  • Options
    ESPN must be strict. They fired Harold Reynolds, and Reynolds ended up on MLB network.
  • Options
    wow! guy was fast tracked to stardom and this happens! made it all the way to baseballs version of monday night football _sunday night baseball!

he is in counseling now for sex addiction.....

what male isnt addicted to sex?

to NOT be addicted to sex is NOT natural

• Options
    This chick is taking a beating. From Deadspin -

"The biggest reason this is in the news," CBSSports.com's Gregg Doyel said on CNN yesterday, apropos the Steve Phillips saga, "is because she's not real good looking." She isn't? I hadn't heard. People are usually so delicate about such things.

I mean, other than the New York Post's dubbing Brooke Hundley "the shlubby seductress," "the tubby temptress" and "the portly production assistant," of whom the press got its first glimpse when she "waddled" out of her apartment; and other than the Post's general habit of calling her "shlubby" and "portly" to draw a contrast with the "handsome Phillips" and the "handsome married baseball analyst Phillips," whose wife is the "beautiful, blond, green-eyed" Marni, a "stunning, green-eyed blonde"; and other than Doyel's going on Howard Kurtz's useless Reliable Sources and calling Hundley "not very pretty," "not very photogenic," "not real good looking" and adding that all the people Googling like mad for her image have come away "not impressed"; and other than that one guy on Joy Behar's CNN show who compared Hundley to Jack Black and Danny Devito and declared that Marni Phillips had every reason to be nervous about a "woman with an 18-inch neck"; and other than Joy Behar's mistakenly referring to her as "this guy Hundley" and then correcting herself by saying to her panelist, "You got me so crazy that she's so not attractive, I think she's a man" — other than that, I'd say that, yeah, the media have been pretty mature about the irrelevant matter of her looks."

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Actually deadspin is reporting that the other media is being brutal about her good looks. It is the NY Post I believe that called her "shlubby" and the "tubby temptress". They are stating that it is the mainstream media that is giving her the Monic treatment not them.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever a guy choses to do in his personal time should have NOTHING to do with anything but himself & his family, not saying its right to have an affair but its NOBODYS bussiness.

Since everyone is taking legal action for the littlest things why doesnt he go after ESPN for getting involved in his personal bussiness?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Paul, ummm she was a subordinate of his at ESPN.

Letterman he ain't.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Whatever a guy choses to do in his personal time should have NOTHING to do with anything but himself & his family, not saying its right to have an affair but its NOBODYS bussiness.

Since everyone is taking legal action for the littlest things why doesnt he go after ESPN for getting involved in his personal bussiness? >>

Normally, I'd agree with you. But Phillips is supposed to be an "analyst" for ESPN and as such we expect him to explain the nuances of the game to us and his GM background should help us gain insights into the way teams operate and strategize.

This whole episode would have made us all distrust his analysis. After all, if he thinks sleeping with this shlubby temptress was a good idea how could we accept anything he says as "smart"?
  • Options

<< <i>Paul, ummm she was a subordinate of his at ESPN.

Letterman he ain't.

Steve >>

OHHHH I should have read more of the article before posting, I was in a hurry and saw the thread image

Now I completley understand why he was axed, yea was not a smart move image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Whatever a guy choses to do in his personal time should have NOTHING to do with anything but himself & his family, not saying its right to have an affair but its NOBODYS bussiness.

Since everyone is taking legal action for the littlest things why doesnt he go after ESPN for getting involved in his personal bussiness? >>

Normally, I'd agree with you. But Phillips is supposed to be an "analyst" for ESPN and as such we expect him to explain the nuances of the game to us and his GM background should help us gain insights into the way teams operate and strategize.

This whole episode would have made us all distrust his analysis. After all, if he thinks sleeping with this shlubby temptress was a good idea how could we accept anything he says as "smart"? >>

Chad now that I understand the situation I withdraw my previous comments but I will say that his actions dont warrant anyone to distrust his Baseball analysis, the guy knows baseball in my opinion and wether anyone agrees with his opinions on the game or games is up to them, not all of them talk the same game thats why their are more than one of them.

Hey maybe the guy likes heavy set women and was unhappy in his marriage for whatever reson- I chose not to judge him as I myself have had some trysts with a few women in my time that I certainly wish NOT to remember image
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, a little distracted.

Is that 3 or 4 chins she has??

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I see a show where her and Monica Lewinsky team up....What should the name of the show be called... BJ and the Bear....
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    screw em when you got em...while you gotem..

party on bros!
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    So, can we expect ESPN to can her as well because of this tryst? image
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards