Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is it a good or bad idea to picture cards?

In the PSA set registry, is it a good or bad idea to post the images of your cards, thus, exposing your card's PSA serial numbers?

If the serial numbers are displayed, can a person then reuse that same number in their set? Or, once a serial number is used, it can not be reused unless deleted from the current set?

I was wondering because once a set is completed, and it is in the top 5 all-time finest, and then broken up for resell. What happens if those sold cards, serial numbers, are incorporated into a current registry set?

I apologize for the newbie questions - any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Once registered, the number cannot be registered again. The only exception is if the card is registered in the Hall of Fame set. However, I don't know if that same card can be registered twice in the Hall of Fame set, logically it shouldn't be able to, but I've never tried. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Editted to Add: Also, if you sell a card that is registered and you the new owner wants to register the card, you will first need to delete your card before it can be registered.
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Yes, I agree.

However, I did see the delete/edit option for each card. If that were true what would happen with an upgrade?
  • Options
    From what I understand, if you upgrade a card, you will need to delete the card first and then add it back in with the new s/n.

The edit link is only used to edit the image file and/or description's field.

Editted: I meant discussion field.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I have pictures posted. It is really no big deal other than the fact that it takes a ton of time to do it. IMO it is added documentation for insurance purposes in addition to letting other collectors enjoy cards that they might otherwise never see. I sold my 1949 Bowman Registry set. Once a set is de-listed from the current finest list, the serial number overlap is irrelevant to the database.
  • Options
    Vargha -

<< <i>Once a set is de-listed from the current finest list, the serial number overlap is irrelevant to the database. >>

Does this mean that a PSA serial number can not be used simultaneously in a current finest registry set?

I have seen people with the PSA serial number erased/altered on the PSA card image. That is why I thought that there may be more than one use for the number.
  • Options
    Eliminating the serial numbers is simply a safety precaution (or perhaps paranoia). To clarify my earlier statement, they can exist simultaneously in the Current Finest and All Time Finest in two scenarios:

1. It is the same set owned by you.

2. You no longer own the set and your cards only appear on the All Time Finest list. (This is the case with Ron Hobb's 1949 Bowman set, which is 98% my old cards.)

As to single cards, r00kies101 stated it correctly. To update a card, you must first delete it then add the new one. This deletion then makes that card "available" to be added into someone else's set on the Registry.
  • Options
    Thanks!

So, final answer is? (too much Millionaire!) ...

No one can use my PSA serial number once I have entered it in my set - correct? I would like to use images for my PSA registry set.

I think that if the PSA serial numbers were able to be copied (replicated) in the registry - it would create the opportunity for cheating. There is a lot of pride and hard work going into these registry sets.

Thanks again, Vargha!
  • Options
    Correct -- I think people are more concerned about scans being ripped off to sell cards that people don't actually own.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    you can place a small piece of paper over the serial number of the slab when you are ading the picture ...that everyone can see the card and the grade but not the serial number. btw i have bought cards that were once part of another registry set. and its no biggie to then add them as your own. (as long as the seller deleted them before) Ethan
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    I love pics on the registry...
    it actually was seeing the pics there on some of the sets I first checked out that made me interested in starting a set to begin with.

imageimage
  • Options
    I think one should post pictures of at least the major cards in the sets they register. This is by far the most enjoyable feature of the registry. I am one of the few who purposely removes serial numbers to prevent fraudulant duplication. More importantly, I keep detailed histories of where each card came from (trade, purchase, auction etc. and from whom). I do this for a) to establish legitimate ownership and b) to document original purchase prices if the collection is ever sold in order to satisfy the IRS. The main drawback for me is the time and effort involved in actually scanning the cards and abiding to the memory constraints of the registry.
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    to document original purchase prices if the collection is ever sold in order to satisfy the IRS

Obviously, I will be selling at a loss. image
  • Options
    Ron,

It is interesting what you had to say about the scans. I am intrigued enough to show scans when I can assemble the time to actually do it. My goal would be to save scans to discs for offsight storage and also to show them on the registry over time.
    I also get a thrill from viewing the scans of others. It is a nice touch. The quality of the grades is magnified by the beauty of the scans. I look forward to taking a shot at this at some point.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!