Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GIES: WWI Prisoners of War Art Medal

PRISONERS OF WAR, 1914, Cast bronze uniface, 66mm, 80.04g., Edge-punch; C.POELLATH SCHROBENH., Ernsting WVZ 62, Frankenhuis 1368, VZ, RRRR

With a rope tether in hand a solitary German soldier with a rifle on his shoulder leads an almost docile file of international prisoners of war; French, Russian, British, Italian, Serbian, and East Indian to their fate.

This is Ludwig Gies’ statement on the futility of winning, losing, and capture during the war.

8 Known examples

7 in museums
Brüssel, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, Albert I Penningkabinett (Royal Library).
London, British Museum, Department of Coins and Medals.
London, Imperial War Museum
Munich, Staatliche Münzsammlung (National Coin Collection).
Paris, Musée d’Historie Contemporaine (Museum of Contemporary History).
Stuttgart, Württembergisches Landesmuseum (Württemberg Regional Museum).
Vienna, Kunsthistoriches Museum (Art History Museum).

1 in Private Collection

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    What a Great find. Congrats.image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wonder about these pedigree listings, and am sure you have a rare bit there, but these obviously are the specimens traced. What was the original mintage, and is even that believable since there may not be fastidious control over preparation of new specimens.

Interesting medal though, and thanks for sharing.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    kowabunga dude! That's a very cool medal.

I like the little french guy with a causal hand in the pocket right behind the tall lanky guy.

But what do you think the deal is with the figure on the far left? It almost looks like a woman with long hair. Odd.

Is this your medal or did you snap the photo while visiting a museum? GREAT PIECE - NICE PHOTO!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big rifle... a very big rifle

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    But what do you think the deal is with the figure on the far left? It almost looks like a woman with long hair. Odd.

Yeah, I don't know about this figure on the far left. This medal has only been mentioned in three references: the original 1919 Schulman medal catalog, the Frankenhuis medal collection, and the Bernd Ernsting tome regarding almost every piece Gies made. Each one had a different 'nationality' for the person on the left. Now that I've had a chance to study it a little closer, it appears to be an Arab and not Indian...and possibly a woman. I'll have to do a little more research to fine tune the description.

Is this your medal or did you snap the photo while visiting a museum? GREAT PIECE - NICE PHOTO!

Yes, this is my own medal which I recently acquired. I only show pieces that are in my collection.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, it could be cloth from the turban or cape...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.