Home Sports Talk
Options

Quack Attack! It's Civil War for a Rose Bowl berth!

TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
Oregon 43
Washington 19

USC lost at Washington and had trouble at home today against Oregon State. Trojans won't leave Autzen as a one-loss team. The only thing in doubt about this game is which one of the 1000+ uniform combos will the Ducks wear!

Comments

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    I just got home from the OSU/USC game and have to say that I agree with you. Although I'll be rooting for USC, I think they have too many problems on defense to beat a quality team like Oregon on the road.
    Brett
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely braced for a loss - for the first time in a long time, really.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    GO DUCKS!!!!

as an oregonian i must say i am pleased with this team..and i don't normally give a flying toot about football
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    would love to see the trojans fall and another team win the pac 10
  • Options
    Duck season ticket holder checking in, and my seats are right next to the visitor section in the north end zone. Always makes for some great conversations image

Really looking forward to the game, Ill be wearing my "OJ was a trojan" tee shirt, as usual.

Go Ducks!!
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to this game, should be a good one. I really like the freshman qb from sc. Let's see how he does
    against a decent team. I think he'll do well.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope so.

Ken
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I grew up a brain washed Bruin fan and my wife is a Duck so I will be happy to pull for the Duck's against U$C.
  • Options
  • Options
    Playing true to form, USC's defense is simply horrible. Oregon is moving the ball at will.
    Brett
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GO DUCKS...

Could be Oregon and Iowa on New Years Day in Pasadena

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Lotsa holes in those Trojans' (run defense).

• Options
    LOTS of holes. They gave up 63 total points in their previous 2 games. Now add another 34 and counting. I'm a Trojan fan, but anyone who thinks this is a championship team with such a lousy defense is just plain delusional. They can't tackle, they can't cover, they don't pressure the QB. It all adds up to big yardage and lots of points for the opposition. Offense--especially one as young as USC's--can take you only so far. You have to be able to stop somebody once in a while.
    Brett
  • Options
    Cal - check
    Wazoo - check
    UCLA - check
    UDub - check
    USC - check
    Stanford - bring on that funky tree!

613 total yards against SC (392 of them on the ground), this without our sucker-punching senior tailback. When he's eligible to return to the team next week, he may find himself without a job.

Ducks are 5-0 in the Pac 10 for the first time since '48. I am LOVING this.

• Options

<< <i>Cal - check
    Wazoo - check
    UCLA - check
    UDub - check
    USC - check
    Stanford - bring on that funky tree!

613 total yards against SC (392 of them on the ground), this without our sucker-punching senior tailback. When he's eligible to return to the team next week, he may find himself without a job.

Ducks are 5-0 in the Pac 10 for the first time since '48. I am LOVING this. >>

That was as an impressive job against USC as I have seen in a long time, congrats to the Duck Fans.

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • Options
    yayerness!!!!
    my t-205's

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    College football is an amazing sport, Petey gets out coached and destroyed by a bunch of smurfs and Michigan's smurf team gets manhandled by by 1-6 Illinois. Go figure eh. Minny, the B10's worse offensive team avgs. 12.6 yards a play against the Sparties. Sometimes you just have to scratch your heads. image
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I anticipated the L, but that was even worse than expected. Some of the worst defense of the Carroll era. I hope this year is just an aberration, but there's certainly a cyclical aspect to college football empires.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    yawiee 99,

This was one of the worst Carroll-coached defensive performances ever, but it may not have been as bad as the effort against Texas in the BCS Championship game. For many seasons now, USC's defense has been characerized by VERY poor tackling, VERY soft coverage, and too many penalties. They tackle so poorly that I wonder if they even work on it at all.

This beat-down was a long time coming. If Oregon St had played them at home last week instead of in L.A., we would have seen the carnage one week earlier. You're right about the cycles in football. USC will be back strong in short order. In the meantime, congratulations to Oregon. They've put together a great season after a tough start against Boise St.
    Brett
  • Options
    Oregon- Iowa in the Rosebowl could be terrific if they both run the table- I would like to see a one loss Ducks Squad play the unbeaten Hawkeyes- It just could overshadow the BCS Title game.

• Options
    As for Illinois crushing Michigan- the Illini were overdue to do something right and that quality win takes some of the sting out of the rest of the season. I do not ever recall Illinois scoring 31 unanswered points against Michigan. In fact, in recent years Illinois has had better results against Michigan at the Big House than in Champaign- go figure

• Options
    If, and its still a big if, Oregon runs the table I want to see them playing one of the SEC teams. Nothing against Iowa I just want to see them play a team from someother conference besides the Big10 or Big12.

Ken
  • Options
    The Big 10 is down but Iowa makes a great story. I like the Duck's too. Would make a good Rose Bowl game.
  • Options
    I want USC and Cal to play SEC teams. I am sure Penn State will get a call and possibly Wisconsin

• Options
    OK, so I kinda let this thread die after Stanford punched the Ducks in the mouth - that loss really took the air out of my sails! Tonight's thrilling 2OT win in Arizona was HUGE, though. What a game - the 4th quarter and the OTs were back & forth nailbiters.

Up next for my Ducks: Civil War - the Beavers travel from Corvallis to Autzen Stadium in Eugene. Should be a great game - winner goes to the Rose Bowl against THE Ohio State University.
  • Options
    anyone from portland up for a civil war party? lol

i do not know who to root for.
    my t-205's

• Options
    After almost playing the whole season everything comes down to the game with the "Barkrats". Autzen will be rocking for sure and the whole nation will get to see what should be a good game. Too bad that the winner has to play a Big10 team in their bowl.

Next year the Ducks should be "AWESOME".

Ken

• Options
    We temporarily interrupt this thread for a heavy dose of reality.

The pathetic ten is looking a lot like.......er.....the pathetic ten.

Carry on.
  • Options
    We temporarily interrupt this thread for a heavy dose of reality.

The pathetic ten is looking a lot like.......er.....the pathetic ten.

Carry on.

Do you watch football or just base your comments on 5 or 10 years ago? I would contend the Pac 10 is the deepest conference in the country. Seriously, look at the Pac 10 1-6... or 7 if you include UCLA. They have no great teams but they have 5 or 6 very good teams.
  • Options
    Didn't the pathetic 10 have one win versus six losses last year to the WAC image

And this years version of the pathetic 10 reminds me of the ACC. No one is good enough to win the conference.
    U$C's defense is swiss cheese, and you know the conference is down when everyone is heralding STANFORD's
    offensive line as the best in the pathetic 10.

Let's just say that you pathetic ten lovers can stay in your own little dreamworld. Reality just hasn't sunk in. That's ok, disney
    world, the land of make believe is located in the pathetic region too. image
  • Options
    Didn't the pathetic 10 have one win versus six losses last year to the WAC

I am not sure why you are so negative on the Pac 10 but that's fine. I don't think calling them the "pathetic 10" really helps bolster any argument you may have. Showing some level of respect might make people more likely to "listen" to your opinion.

I think it was the Mountain West that destroyed the Pac 10 last year. Of course, the MWC was historically good last year with Utah, BYU and TCU all being very good teams. However, don't forget the Pac 10 then went 5-0 in their bowl games last year.

However, focusing on last year doesn't help either of us. Look at THIS year. Look at the actual teams and not your perception based on history.

I have spent most of my life living in Pac 10 (and Pac 8) country (so am jaded that way) but I did live in eastern Tennessee for a while. I will easily acknowledge the SEC has the best teams and some great fans (certainly better fans than the Pac 10 offers) year in and year out. However, I would say all the conferences are a lot closer to each other this year than in past years. Plus, for what it's worth the Sagarin ratings always seem to rank the Pac 10 near the top. Haven't checked them lately as I realize they don't mean anything.

The fact is that the Pac 10 has 6 very solid teams. NO, none of them are in the same class as Fl, Ala, or Texas but frankly I don't think anybody is in the class of those 3. It's pretty much 3 very good teams (although not historically good) and then a ton of teams (about 30 by my count) who are pretty equal. Try not to be jaded while you do this. Look at the top 25 or 30 teams. Take out the above mentioned 3 teams. Then tell me that just about any other game between 2 of those next 25 or 30 teams won't be a good game. That is a close game with a close point spread. There are just a huge number of very equal teams this year... including 6 from the Pac 10. For example, you think Stanford couldn't beat Penn State or Iowa or Boise or Ole Miss? Shoot, Washington is one of the scrub teams in the Pac 10 and they took LSU to overtime at LSU. Or how about USC, who is about 5th or 6th in the Pac 10 this year. You telling me they couldn't go into Alabama and beat them?
  • Options
    I agree with all you've said. However, a dominant conference really needs a dominant team or two.

That's why the SEC is the best this year. Not only do they have Florida and Alabama, but they
    have LSU and Ole Miss.

The Big XII has Texas, but Nebraska seems to be next in line. That ain't saying much.

The Pac-10 has "Oregon", but the rest of the teams are marginal at best. Even Oregon isn't that great.

Is Ohio State the best team in the midwest ? If so, then that conference is not that good.

The ACC is not great.

It's very simple in my book. The SEC has produced many of the recent championship teams in the BCS.
    They're probably going to win it again this year.

They are going to have two BCS teams in Florida and Alabama. No other conference is going to have that.

The SEC is clearly the best. The pac-10 is mediocre like the rest of the conferences. No team (besides Texas) is
    stepping it up this year. Like you said, every other team is marginal at best.

• Options

<< <i>. I don't think calling them the "pathetic 10" really helps bolster any argument you may have. ? >>

Don't take me seriously when I poke fun. I don't take sports seriously. I enjoy sports, and I poke fun
    not only at others, but also at myself. Take it all in stride when you read future posts of mine. image
  • Options
    They are going to have two BCS teams in Florida and Alabama. No other conference is going to have that.

I think Iowa has a good chance of making it two for the Big 10.

I hope we see Stanford v. Ole Miss or similar games. Would be fun.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad that the winner has to play a Big10 team in their bowl.

Which is worse, an easy win over a Big Ten team gaining no respect for your team, or have your butt kicked by an SEC team and losing what respect your team has?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    "Which is worse, an easy win over a Big Ten team gaining no respect for your team, or have your butt kicked by an SEC team and losing what respect your team has?"

Yea thats what Big 12 teams and USF said would happen in this decade also. I, as a Oregon fan, would love to see what would happen if the Ducks got a decent SEC team in a bowl game.

Ken
  • Options
    Ken, I'm with you. As a west coast guy, Colin Cowherd and others can pump up the Pac-10 to his national audience all they want, but until one of our best plays one of the SEC's best, there will always be this debate. Maybe we'll get punked, but what will the SEC boys say if the reverse happens? I'm guessing it'll be passed off as an anomaly, or that Coach made some bad calls, or something else that'll 'explain' away why their vaunted southern boys got owned.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Whoever wins is going to get smashmouthed by Ohio State. Book it. I'll revisit this thread on Jan. 2 to discuss.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    We once again interrupt this thread to alert you that you don't want your top two Pac-10 teams
    playing the top two SEC teams.

You also don't want you next two teams playing Ole Miss or LSU.

That's all. Carry on.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whoever wins is going to get smashmouthed by Ohio State. Book it. I'll revisit this thread on Jan. 2 to discuss. >>

I agree with RonB.
  • Options
    "Whoever wins is going to get smashmouthed by Ohio State. Book it. I'll revisit this thread on Jan. 2 to discuss."

I'll be back also if the Ducks get to play "The OSU" on Jan 1. First we have to take care of "The Other OSU". BTW instead of saying Oregon will kick the crap out of "The OSU" I just hope its a good clean college football game that is entertaining.

"We once again interrupt this thread to alert you that you don't want your top two Pac-10 teams
    playing the top two SEC teams.

You also don't want you next two teams playing Ole Miss or LSU."

Got news for you old buddy! Many PAC 10 fans want SEC/PAC10 match ups. Hell the Ducks play Tennessee back there next year and from all of the early SEC HYPE I hear the Vols are suppose to be pretty good. We will see what happens.

Ken
  • Options
    I am a UCLA fan and UCLA sucks this year but they did beat Tennessee AT Knoxville this year!
  • Options

<< <i>I am a UCLA fan and UCLA sucks this year but they did beat Tennessee AT Knoxville this year! >>

UCLA is not that good, and yes, Crompton stunk up the joint at UT that day. I watched that game and he threw four
    bad interceptions. UT progressively got better a few weeks after that game as Crompton began to settle down a bit.
  • Options
    Civil War is on! Goooooo Ducks!

That is all.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    great game so far!!
  • Options
  • Options

View from my seats after the win. Looks like we shall see how good THE Ohio state is image Should be a great game, Oregon seems to be firing on all cylinders

• Options
    great great game!!! GO DUCKS!!!
    my t-205's