Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

darkside is good for picking up weird coins that dont fit the overall collection

here's an example of a coin I really really like, but... modern japanese commem?

The obv is as striking as the rev is BLAND. I still owe a thanks to STORK for helping me procure this one for a very reasonable price!

Comments

• Options
    A historically significant coin - one of the first two colorized commemoratives released by the Japan Mint, both silver ¥1,000 pieces issued in Heisei 15 (2003).

If you like it, enjoy, but I'll pass.

This coin and the commem for the 5th Winter Asian Games at Aomori, convinced me to limit my collection to the period Meiji 3 (1870) when modern Japanese coinage began, to Heisei 14, when normal Japanese coinage ended.

Roy

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heisei 14 = 2002?
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

<< <i>Heisei 14 = 2002? >>

Yup. The Showa Emperor (nee Hirohito) died January 7, 1989, and his son Akihito became Emperor, proclaiming "Heisei" as his regnal era.. 1989 is therefore both Showa 64 and Heisi Gan (First). Just add 1988 to any Heisei date to generate the Gregorian date.

"Showa" translates to "Enlightened Peace", a somewhat ironic name for the era that included WW II and its precursor, the Japanese occupation of much of Southeast Asia.

"Heisei" translates to "Universal Peace" or "Peace Everywhere", an equally ironic name IMHO for the era of Al Qaeda, the Taliban, and multiple regional wars, even though Japan is not generally involved in the world violence.
    Roy

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

This coin and the commem for the 5th Winter Asian Games at Aomori, convinced me to limit my collection to the period Meiji 3 (1870) when modern Japanese coinage began, to Heisei 14, when normal Japanese coinage ended. >>

Ended how? image Without taking NCLTs into consideration.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Poor wording on my part.

I should have said "when the Japan Mint went off in a direction I dislike."
    Roy