Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

THE NEW 2010 PROFESSIONAL EDITION OF THE RED BOOK

I just received my copy of the new professional edition of the 2010 Red Book published by Whitman. I have only had a chance to glance thru the 380+pages of spiral bound 8 1/2" by 11" book. It contains hundreds of pictures and detail information about all the denominations and series. As a first edition, I feel this is a good addition for anyones numismatic library. The $30 price tag is a little high, but since the information has not been reported in this format before it is a good value. I would guess that the annual updates, if they primarily contain the same information as this edition will not be worth this kind of pricing. One piece of data that did bother me was the fact that the certified coin information which is provided for all coin denominations and series reports ONLY NGC numbers. My assumption is that PCGS would not give Whitman authority to use their numbers. That is unfortunate, but it is more unfortunate in my opinion to publish just one half or less of the true quantities slabbed. My particular interest was on the Lincoln cents section. They devoted pages 52 thru 63 to information and pictures of both the business strikes and proof coins. Much of the data is similar to what is in the regular Red Book, but pricing does include MS64 and MS 65 RB & RD and MS 66 RD. Even MS67RD for the dates after 1940. There is even a listing of recent significant auction sales for each date primarily in the wheat series. One more thought has come to my mind. I wonder if the PCGS Coin Facts online database offering will be in competition with the Whitman Professional Red Book annual printed book in the years ahead? If and when you get a copy of this new book I would love to hear your thoughts. Steveimage