Home Precious Metals

So I guess I am buying at these prices

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
Told myself I wasn't going to. Stopped by the B&M at lunch and he had a nice selection of everything--40%, 90%, 10 & 100 oz bars, several gold pieces.

I opted for a couple rolls of nice AU/BU quarters and the best of three old 10 oz Englehard bars:

Then I saw a bag containing the remains of a sterling candle. He brought out the remaining one and told me I could have it for melt (5 oz sterling).

What the heck am I going to do with this! image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭

<< <i>

>>

Melt it image

Actually I always thought it would be neat to purchase sterling silverware or decorative items. Seeing how you can get the stuff on the cheap and its dual purpose.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dip it!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Donate it to Clad's dungeon.

video looked like it needed more light down thereimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    That candelabra/incense burner rocks!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • ksammutksammut Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Melt it image

Actually I always thought it would be neat to purchase sterling silverware or decorative items. Seeing how you can get the stuff on the cheap and its dual purpose. >>

I have been buying sterling silverware for awhile. Remember that the knive's handle is weighted and the blade is usually stainless steel. Also, candle holders and other items are weighted on the bottom and reinforced with cement or cement like weight in other parts of the holder.

5 oz looks about right for the candle holder purchased by Weiss once all the weight material is removed.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 35,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I paid 12x for the quarters and $180 for the bar.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That candle stick is cool. Sterling is mainly what I collect, although, I don't get mine for melt image
    There can be a lot of work that goes into some of those pieces.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That candle stick holder looks like an antique and may have some value well above melt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one wants all that sterling silver flatware and decorative pieces any more (since everybody's working, they're no more housewives willing to sit around and polish all that stuff), and it's all over the place. You can pick it up for a song at garage sales, Craig's List and estate auctions.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That candle stick holder looks like an antique and may have some value well above melt. >>

It's a nice piece, and it's very practical. You can unscrew and remove many of the pieces and reconfigure them to be a single tall candle candlestick, a single short one, a shorter version of the full size, or the full size. Must be 5 or 6 configurations, total.

But it's a pretty common piece and not terribly old. You can find multiple examples on eBay for not a whole lot more than I paid for this one. Still, it's more interesting than a 5 oz bar.
    --Severian the Lame