Home Precious Metals
Options

The Bulls are running

I just checked my mutual funds. They're up 23% over the last 3 months.
If the next 3 months are as good, I will have have recovered all the money I lost due to the crash.
I would expect to see precious metals decline in price as the stock market continues it's recovery.
Money that is held idle in metals, will be shifted to stocks by many investors.
I would be real leery of buying PMs at this time.

Ray

Comments

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    For a guy who only watches his mutual funds every three months, I would stick to your day job. The only reason stocks are up is due to the plunging dollar. As it continues to plunge, metals will rise.

No offense intended.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been slowly withdrawing from the stock market over the last couple months, with some nice profits. I expect stocks to slowly decline over the next few months, and then probably some pretty good buying opps early next year.
    As far as PM's, I've been buying silver since it was 5 bucks, I see no reason to stop buying now.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    weak dollar= strong stockmarket & strong oil & strong gold

strengthening dollar = weak stock market & weak oil & weak gold

This is the playbook until it is broken

Net zero new money has come into the equities market in the last six months

Money market and bond funds remain at an all-time high

I personally doubt that the retail investor jumps in here

There is plenty of cash on the sidelines ( a record amount) people would not have to take money out of pm's
    if they wanted in the market.

The pm market is VERY thin in comparsion to the equities market and the equities market is VERY thin when compared to the Forex market.

Just watch the dollar ( I also watch the $AUD for clues)

The stock market is being driven by high frequency traders on VERY low volume

It will not take much for the market to catch a cold. if it does the dollar will
    probably strengthen and this will = weak stock market & weak oil & weak gold

It would be counter intuitive right now to think the equities market will continue to rise
    and pm's will go down

But, there is always a new chapter I guess....................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AgBloxAgBlox Posts: 744 ✭✭
    For a moment there I thought I was reading a post from bear. I realized my mistake once I saw the post was on topic. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be glad you most of your money back. What happens if the SM gets a hiccup after gaining 50% and loses a chunk? Most markets correct back from 30-60% after taking a major plunge such as the SM did over the past 2 years. Once the euphoria of the recovery wears off, what usually follows is another corrective leg falling deeper than the first. The only way this doesn't happen is if we've started a whole new SM bull run for the ages.

If one compares the S&P vs. Gold the last 15 years it has been a wash. In dollar terms it looks like a nice gain, but against real money it's just imaginary gains. Unfortunately they tax imaginary gains.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately they tax imaginary gains.

Exactly right, roadrunner, exactly right.

Yes, you earn the money and pay taxes on it.

Then you invest it and inflation takes it to a higher nominal value - it's not worth any more than it was, but it has a bigger number attached to it.

Then when you sell the asset for an imaginary gain, they tax the crap out of it again. You end up with decidely less, not more.

The only solution is to lose money in the stock market consistantly so that it isn't taxed a second time, but that's not really a very good solution.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    It has been nice to get back some of the big losses from the SM, but I would rather see it hold what it has recovered rather than advance at this point. This is October and while I don't see a big crash, a correction is overdue.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I do believe that the market will be down the next two weeks.

Up a bit for the Xmas rally, then will remain in a trading range

for 2010, with a downward bias.As for PMs, only heaven knows.

With suspected manipulation of gold supplies, naked short sales

and Macchiavellian like meddling by the Federal Reserve

Banks of several Nations.the rush to gold, may well find that the floor

has been removed from what had been thought to be a safe hedge

in paper gold and silver. There are illusions and then, there are fantasies

ending in brutal reality. Be careful out there, do not bet the farm on wishes.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage