Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1909VDB....PR66RD for sale...

...over at AngelDees. A bit pricey in my book, but they don't surface that often, and Andy has a good eye.
LINKY

Comments

• 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    $82,500, Great price for a 66RD, but it's a 65RDimage

I saw it at the Coinfest show on Sunday and it was quite nice. In fact, I saw a bunch of coins in his case that were quite nice, I even bought a coupleimage
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

The VDB is a PR65RD

He also has a 1909 in PR66RDimage
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

<< <i>The VDB is a PR65RD

He also has a 1909 in PR66RDimage >>

If you went to Andy's table during Coinfest with enough coin, you could have completed the Matte proof series in one fell swoop, he has at least one example of every date right now.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Andy showed me the PR65RD 1909VDB MPL at Coinfest too. Nice looking coin. For those who can afford it I believe it would be a very nice long term investment and a GREAT addition to a Lincoln cent Matte proof collection. JMHO. Steveimage
  • lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny, I went to his site 2 days ago and it was listed at $80,000. I guess it appreciated $2,500 this week..... >>

Curly PM'd me on the 12th that it was on Andy's site for $82.5k.

<< <i>Funny, I went to his site 2 days ago and it was listed at $80,000. I guess it appreciated $2,500 this week..... >>

Hmmm, I just confirmed with Mr. Skrabalak that it was always listed on his site at $82,500. Perhaps you are mistaken.
  • Let me get this straight. He has no pictures on his site. Hello!! Who buys coins without at least seeing a picture? Did I miss something here?
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me get this straight. He has no pictures on his site. Hello!! Who buys coins without at least seeing a picture? Did I miss something here? >>

People who have either seen the coin in hand or people who have dealt with Andy before.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me get this straight. He has no pictures on his site. Hello!! Who buys coins without at least seeing a picture? Did I miss something here? >>

People that know Andy and that when you deal with Andy you know you are getting a nice coin.
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 960 ✭✭✭
    You want to know what a coin looks like, call him. He doesn't sell crap, ever.
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • "...Did I miss something here?"

Yes. Andy's reputation.
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Buying coins sight unseen is not for me, I like the hunt, and the looking part too much. But if there were ever occasion to do so, I wouldn't do it with anyone else. Don't want to speak for him, but I don't imagine he'd every stick you with a coin you didn't like final sale or not.
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • If you know Andy, then you also know there is absolutely zero risk buying a coin from him sight unseen with no picture. He will give a completely honest description, including any faults the coin may have, and if you don't like it after seeing it in hand, he'll take it back. In addition, relying on pictures for coin purchase decisions can be very misleading. From my experience, pictures can be very different than what the coin looks like in hand, especially Matte Proofs.

Dan
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw c'mon. Who need Pictures anyway. REAL men buy sight unseen.
    Afterall........the Bible didnt come with picutres, and we all trust in God, right? I read it on a coin once! image

• << <i>Let me get this straight. He has no pictures on his site. Hello!! Who buys coins without at least seeing a picture? Did I miss something here? >>

This argument surfaces periodically, and the answer remains the same. Andy and Alynne Skrabalak are class acts, and their word is a true 'old school' bond. I personally love doing business with them. If I want to look at a coin, Andy sends it to me, and if not to my taste, I send it back - no questions asked.

Andy once physically handed me a 1909VDB MPL on a Friday in Baltimore for a small deposit, I flew back home, coin in hand, with the understanding that I would send a five figure payment on the following Tuesday (which I did). If I did not like the coin after study, I was directed to send it back. How many dealers do you know who would do that?

• This argument surfaces periodically, and the answer remains the same. Andy and Alynne Skrabalak are class acts, and their word is a true 'old school' bond. I personally love doing business with them. If I want to look at a coin, Andy sends it to me, and if not to my taste, I send it back - no questions asked.

It is true.
    However, as with anyone, Andy does have a limit. You may wear out your welcome if you repeatedly send coins back. Otherwise, as stated by others, a more honest coin dealer you will not find.

Jack

• lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    This has disappeared from his website. Does that mean a sale? Anyone want to raise their hand? At least take a bow and receive your kudosimage
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>This has disappeared from his website. Does that mean a sale? Anyone want to raise their hand? At least take a bow and receive your kudosimage >>

Brother, if I had 82.5K I'd haul ass to the Mall!
    Every man is a self made man.
  • I purchased a very nice 1909 MPL from him in an old blue holder. IMHO a candidate for an upgrade.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This has disappeared from his website. Does that mean a sale? Anyone want to raise their hand? At least take a bow and receive your kudosimage >>

It has disappeared in the last couple of days.

Check the January FUN signature auction image
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

• Well, I'll be... There is a PR65RD in the upcoming FUN auction. Should be "fun" to watch.

Jack

• curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>Check the January FUN signature auction image >>

Brian, who do you have to know to get those catalogues? I called Heritage yesterday for catalogues for the FUN auction and they wanted $50.00!!! I tried to impress upon them that I ain't no rich curly but it was still $50.00.
    Every man is a self made man.

Curly,

I just checked their online FUN catalog to find this VDB. I am on their free mailing list because I am a regular bidder in their auctions??
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy how in five short years, the coin could expect to catch 4x's as much when you're talking about a $20,000 coin in 2004. That's one hell of an appreciation for an already expensive coin, but I guess those matties really only started to take off in the recent past. In this bad economy could we really expect it to go $80k like angel dees wanted? It sure is a nice piece.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Check the January FUN signature auction image >>

Brian, who do you have to know to get those catalogues? I called Heritage yesterday for catalogues for the FUN auction and they wanted $50.00!!! I tried to impress upon them that I ain't no rich curly but it was still $50.00. >>

Just buy a couple or few $10K plus coins from them and I think you're on the list for life image
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I would doubt that Andy would let this coin go at anything less than what he paid for it. So, after the reserve is posted we will see how the market reacts. As I said earlier in this thread, IMHO this is a good LONG TERM investment for someone who wants it for his collection. If he is just interested in a quick flip, then most likely, the opportunity won't present itself. JMHO. Steveimage

Edited to add: I wonder how the new PCGS change of guarantee on RED coins will impact on the sale of THIS coin?
  • I received a code to use for a catalog with the stuff I got back from a PCGS submission. It also says there's a $50 coupon within the catalog to use, basically making the catalog free.

Oooo-K image

I use the code for the catalog, then use the coupon on a coin. Not too bad, is it?

That FUN catalog is due out next week, isn't it? That's the one I got. Wish I could make it over to the show.