Home PSA Set Registry Forum

What is the best deal going for unopened baseball material?

I'd like to hear some opinion/facts on what everyone feels is the best bang for the buck when it comes to purchasing and actually busting open packs?

In other words, when is the reward closest to or most likely to be worth the risk assuming you have unsearched and NM-MT or better material to open?

Comments

• I'd personally have to say 1983 Topps for hall of fame and rookie power.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Based on how cheaply you can find them, I'd consider 1981 Fleer and Donruss and 1982 Fleer and Donruss too. 1981 Fleer Star Stickers have a high chance of cards coming out less than NM-MT because of how they were made and cut, otherwise that would be my top choice.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I'd say the value of any unopened box = value of cards inside + value of entertainment of ripping wax. Sure, everyone once in a while you'll pull cards that exceed what you paid for the box, but not often because once you've opened the wax, you've consumed the entertainment value in that equation. Thats how I always look at it anyway. If you don't really enjoy ripping wax because of the thrill, you probably shouldn't do it with any box.

I think the only time I've ever pulled cards that equaled more than I paid for a box was 96 Chrome basketball and thats only based on whether or not you pull a Kobe.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else have a take?

I think it is extremely fun ripping open wax/cellos. However, if there were not a chance to pull some beautiful cards, I doubt there would be a fun factor at all. I bought some 1978 Topps Cellos the other day and they were the crappy tight wrapped plastic ones where they bound the cards so hard the corners were all folded under slightly. I've seen some 1981's like that as well, but then have also seen some 'soft' cellos where the cards are unhindered. Anyone know why the difference in the cellos? Makes me want only wax or rack packs in the future or older stuff.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Alot of people around here don't like vending, but it's been better than wax for me (and cheaper).
    Don't know how much you want to spend, but if you can find 77 Topps vending between 300-400 it's a good buy.
    Lots of really tough stars/rc that go for around 100 in PSA 9.
    I had one box that did not work out well, but the other 3 were great. Like wax, it is a dice roll.
    Last one I got PSA 9s of Fidrych, Reggie, Murphy and a few real nice PSA 10s. And they're fun to open.
    I just ordered one from BBCE and I'll be posting results on the other board, maybe that can give you an idea before you buy.
    I would never open cellos, I made that mistake a few years ago and got results like yours.
    Cellos are nice display pieces and are for pack grading only.
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    If I had the bucks, I would jump all over one of the '76 vending boxes that Felicia was selling. It seems that most of the cards from that case have had great centering. Besides the scans she posted, BoSox and I think at least one or two others who bought vending from her also posted scans and the cards looked fantastic.

'75T mini is kind of hit/miss, but has become much more affordable lately. Shot at Brett, Yount, Rice, Carter RCs and HOF greats like Ryan, Aaron, etc.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• "cellos are nice display pieces and are for pack grading only"

Hammered is precisely right when it come to 1979 cellos and earlier. They were wrapped very tight and most often the corners will be damaged.

The first unopened pack I ever purchased was a mint '75 baseball cello from Larry Fritsch. Once opened I discovered (every) card had at least two damaged corners. The pack contained a beautifully centered Bench but it was worthless due to corner damage.

In disgust I threw all 18 cards in the trash--$80 plus shipping and insurance down the drain!

"You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"cellos are nice display pieces and are for pack grading only"

Hammered is precisely right when it come to 1979 cellos and earlier. They were wrapped very tight and most often the corners will be damaged.

The first unopened pack I ever purchased was a mint '75 baseball cello from Larry Fritsch. Once opened I discovered (every) card had at least two damaged corners. The pack contained a beautifully centered Bench but it was worthless due to corner damage.

In disgust I threw all 18 cards in the trash--$80 plus shipping and insurance down the drain! >>

I agree except for the huge cello packs from 1970 (33 cards) to the 1972 cellos (25ish cards). The middle cards will be nice. Pulled a bunch of 9's from a 1970 1st series football cello pack I opened around 8 years ago. The gum in the middle was stuck to the card, which was an Alan Page rookie image

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"cellos are nice display pieces and are for pack grading only"

In disgust I threw all 18 cards in the trash--$80 plus shipping and insurance down the drain! >>

bought 3 '75 packs from Fritsch as well, total junk and had creased cards in the middle of the pack, corner damage, etc. Did save one with Sutton on top..whooppy ding dong
  • I'm glad to hear that Jmoran19 had success with the early '70's jumbo cellos. After my disaster with the '75 bb cello I never had the courage to bust another '70's cello.

And to any newbies out there wanting to learn about vintage unopened material you will do well to place alot of credence to anything Jmoran19 has to say as he is one of this boards premier experts on unopened material--Grote15 is on a similar par!!
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rack packs are usually good as long as someone hadn't thumbed through them and tagged the edges. I've had some luck with early 70s wax but you need to get a good quality box. I bought a run of boxes about 10 years ago and pulled some nice stars out of them. Many 9s and 10s. In reality though, if you can find a nice high grade raw set, you can't get much cheaper in terms of $ per card compared to an unopened pack. It's getting harder these days though because most people are aware of grading and will grade out nice sets rather than sell them raw.
    what does everyone feel the best unopened is for the money right now?

I'm considering a BBCE purchase of one unopened box/pack. Money for that one item is not a concern, so anything they have(baseball)...what would be the smartest 1 time purchase with them that will get opened and the best cards subbed to PSA?

btw, looks like a lot of their 1950's stuff got bought up, recently. Suximage

Anyway, what do you think you would do?
  • I would tell you but I am afraid you will buy them before I get a chance.
    Share your opinion, Bill. It is certainly very valued.

Besides, if it's a great deal, someone esle could buy it before either of us...
  • If you can come across any unsearched and unmolested 1975 thru 1979 baseball rack packs these can possibly yield some high grade stars and low pop commons.

But the trick of course is to find racks, especially '75 & '76, that haven't had the edges of the cards damaged by people's fingernails in their attempt to maneuver the cards inside.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    My own opinion is that the only unopened product from the 80s I would buy into is 1984 Donruss.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)