Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

20th Century Type Set vs Modern Type Set

Why did PCGS include commemorative and bullion in the Modern Type set and exclude them from the 20th Century type set? It'd be much easier for my children to complete a type set (1950-date) w/o silver, gold and platinum bullion. If PCGSs mission is to help grow the collector base (our children), they should offer registry sets children can complete.
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why couldn't children complete it. There all available online. Yes they are costly but that is part of collecting learning that some things have to be worked for and maybe even saved for.
    As for PCGS's mission I think that is to make money, the ANA has a mission of devoping new collectors I think.
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think what llafoe is saying .. building a customer base is "The Way" to make money. Without new customers, the business will certainly die...
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    Most kids generally can't afford platinum eagles. As much as I love my parents, one thing they never did for me was buy me $1300 coins so I could work on a set. These days, kids are pushing it if they ask for $400 video game consoles.

I do remember a time when I looked at a 20th century type coin folder and laughed when I saw the slots in the back page for gold coins. I thought there was no way that I'd ever own all of those--a Type I and Type III gold $1 (but no spot for a type II), and one each of Indian and Liberty $2.5, $5, and $10, plus Liberty and Saint Gaudens $20s. About a month ago, I finished that set. I don't have the folder any more, and most of the coins are in PCGS and NGC holders, but that aside, in essence, I filled that back page completely before any of the others.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    They add the gold and platinum just to make it difficult. The Registry is no place for children.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson