Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What are the dates on these coins

Also any information on them?

-Vincent

Comments

• Options
    The first coin in the second row is Japanese.
    The first coin in the third row is the upside down reverse of a Chinese one cash piece. In Manchu charactrers it says Boo Ciowan which is the rather common Board of Revenue Mint. The Chinese rquvalent is Pao Ch'uan or "The fountainhead of all Currency".
    If we could see the other side we could identify the emperor but probably not the date. It dates to after 1644, the start of the Ching dynasty.
  • Options
    Top: ¥10, Heisei Gan (1989), bronze Y#97.1
    Middle left: 10 sen, date on the other side will be between Taisho 9 (1920) and Showa 7 (1932), cu-ni, Y#45 or #49
    Middle right: ¥10, but I can't read the date because of lack of contrast, bronze, probably Y#73a
    Bottom left: Undated Chinese cash coin - ProofArtworkonCircs's information is undoubtedly more accurate than anything I could say, as I barely know enough to recognize that is is Chinese.
    Bottom right: ¥5, date on the other side will be between Showa 34 (1959) and Heisei 21 (2009), brass Y#72a, #96.1, or #96.2
    Roy

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The first coin in the third row is the upside down reverse of a Chinese one cash piece. In Manchu charactrers it says Boo Ciowan which is the rather common Board of Revenue Mint. The Chinese rquvalent is Pao Ch'uan or "The fountainhead of all Currency".
    If we could see the other side we could identify the emperor but probably not the date. It dates to after 1644, the start of the Ching dynasty. >>

A more felicitous translation of boo ciowan/pao ch'uan might be simply "currency" or "coinage" rather than "The Fountainhead of all Currency." Boo/pao means "treasure/value" and ciowan/ch'uan literally means "stream/spring/fountain" but the central idea here is flow or movement. Thus we have a value that flows, a value that circulates. From this we get "currency." In this case, boo ciowan/pao ch'uan is short for boo ciowan jihai kuwaran/pao ch'uan chu, commonly translated as "Coinage Office" or "Metropolitan Coinage Service," depending on the reference work consulted. The Coinage Office was under the direction of the Board of Revenue.