Home U.S. Coin Forum

My cell # is 301 785 5640

JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
if you have any information for me.

Many thanx.

Julian
PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

Comments

• Well, this is obviously important. Sorry I can't help.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    what'r ya lookin for Julian?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Never mind.

I wish you all the luck in the world friend!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Please while it is fresh in your mind jot down as much specific information as you can remember. Supplement as you check your records. You have our undivided attention and support. When we find these mother *&($%^!@# may the COT have a few moments of their time.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

MODULATOR: Please fix this thread to the top of the page for a while.
    Thanks,
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please while it is fresh in your mind jot down as much specific information as you can remember. Supplement as you check your records. You have our undivided attention and support. When we find these mother *&($%^!@# may the COT have a few moments of their time. >>

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Please while it is fresh in your mind jot down as much specific information as you can remember. Supplement as you check your records. You have our undivided attention and support. When we find these mother *&($%^!@# may the COT have a few moments of their time. >>

image >>

yes... and always keep a pen and paper handy to write down stuff you remember. even keep it next to your bed.

seek help and advice from others on here who have been ripped off.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I hope you reported to the police right away.
  • Bump to keep it at the top
  • No need, I'll sticky it for a few days

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted your alert on the dealer network as well tonight. I will also be on the lookout for the coins.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Suggestion, those that attended Coinfest and looked at Julian's inventory should jot down what they remember as well and PM the information to Julian to help him build his list.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be looking.
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Many thanx for your thoughts, wishes and assistance. I will be available for any contact.
    Best
    Julian
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Julian,

My sincerest apologies. Mitch Spivach posted your original posting on CCE. I followed it up with a link to your inventory from your webpage:

US Coins:
    http://juliancoin.com/usinvmain.html

Currency:
    http://juliancoin.com/currencymain.html

Misc:
    http://juliancoin.com/exonumia.htm

Don't know how accurate of a list it is... Although I'm sure some of the pieces listed were among those taken.

Best,
    Matt Lerner
    Frederick Coin Exchange AKA Chili Peppers Collectibles.
    Frederick Coin Exchange
    25 N. Market St.
    Frederick, MD 21701
    www.FrederickCoinExchange.com
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened??
    Robbery?
    Burglary?
    Where?
    What?
    When?
    Who?
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a link.

Smash & Grab
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

• Here's a bulletin I've made to be faxed out to major coin dealers on the east coast that I know of... Please pass along the list...

Talked to Julian, he seems to think it was a very professional job. They knew exactly what to take... If you would like a formatted version, please email me at cpcsales@aol.com

Stolen Coin Alert 10/11/09

Coin Dealer Julian Leidman’s car was broken into while returning from CoinFest in Stamford, CT. Car was broken into few hours ago in Pine Brook, NJ. Taken was virtually the entire inventory including several significant coins.’

Julian is known for handling some of the world’s most significant coins. Stolen were several coins in the 6 figure range. A true numismatist, many of his coins are raw, ungraded coins. If you are approached about purchasing any significant coins, raw or graded, please notify Julian at: 301.785.5640

Partial List Includes:

Large Cents:

1794 AU
    1816 Proof-Like Brown Unc
    1854 Choice Unciruclated

Three Cents
    1862 PCGS MS-64 Toned 3Silver
    1871 PCGS MS-64 3Nickel
    1884 Proof like – BU

Half Dimes
    1797 Gem Uncirculated
    1797 13 Stars
    1829 Proof Like Unc
    1830 Gem BU
    1833 Gem BU
    1837 No Stars BU DMPL
    1862 BU
    1864 NGC MS-64

Nickels
    1913-D T1 BU Gold/Blue Paina
    1919-D PCGS MS-64

Dimes
    1805 Choice BU
    1829 NGC MS-65
    1833 Gem BU
    1835 Gem BU
    1837 No Stars Gem BU
    Halves
    1829 Gem Unc
    1832 Proof
    1902 Gem BU
    1906-D PCGS MS-64
    1911-D Gem BU
    1918-D Ch BU weak centers and head
    1929-D PCGS MS-64
    1934-S PCGS MS-64

Dimes Con’t
    1855 BU
    1864 Gem BU
    1874 PCGS MS-63
    1892-O Proof Like BU
    1893 BU
    1893-S PCGS MS-64
    1894-O BU
    1895 PCGS MS-63
    1901 ANACS MS-63

Twenty Cent Pieces
    1875 Proof Like
    1875-CC Gem Unc

Quarters
    1815 Gem BU PCGS-63
    1825 4/3 PCGS MS-64
    1838 NGC MS-64
    1861 PCGS MS-64
    1881 PF
    1885 Gem BU
    1887 Gem BU
    1917-S T1 FH Gem BU
    1918-S PCGS MS-64 FH

Halves
    1806 Gem Proof Like Unc
    1807 Gem BU Small Stars
    1822 Gem BU
    1826 Gem BU
    Dollars
    1795 Flowing Hair XF
    1853 NGC MS-63
    1859 NGC PF-65 Cameo
    1859 NGC MS-62
    1862 CH Unc
    1863 Ch Unc
    1868 Gem PF

Also included but not listed are rare Morgans/Peace.
    Type Gold
    20+ Patterns.

Please go to: JulianCoin.com to see full inventory.

Any information on these stolen coins please call: 301.785.5640

###
    Frederick Coin Exchange
    25 N. Market St.
    Frederick, MD 21701
    www.FrederickCoinExchange.com
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you are aware Julian Leidman, a fellow coin dealer, was a victim of a robbery Sunday upon driving home from Coinfest.

Laura Sperber and I are offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual or individuals responsible for this robbery.

We will expand this post with additional information and details as they become known.
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭
    Julian:

If you think you may have had a tracking device placed on your car, I wonder if the garage security tapes from the Hilton Garage would be of help in finding clues. I don't know how long they keep those tapes, but you should make sure the investigators follow that up ASAP.

Also, try to remember anyone out of place who seemed to be loitering near your table at the show.

I hope for the safe return of all those coins.

Best-
    DW
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh man, I am really sorry to hear of that. I hope they catch the criminals and return your coins!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    There is only one driveway to get out of the Hilton, and essentially only one way to get to I-95. There are also lots of traffic cams along that stretch of the highway because of the conjestion. If Julian was being followed, perhaps there is a way to piece together the various tapes and see what car seems to appear near him throughout the journey. I'm no detective, but it is just a thought.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Longacre- Yes, the highway has cameras that might help, if they were following him. Hopefully, they`ll look into this.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    yes, definitely sounds like he was being followed. A random person wouldn't know there were coins in there. Maybe they can get license number of several potential 'followers' from the webcams.
  • EVERBODY- check CRAIGSLIST EVERYDAY in the collectibles pull up coins and see what is offered- you will be surprised who is selling for a quick flip!

start watching ebay in a few weeks- somewhat the best time to dump is when it looks like things are cooling off for the crook..

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would PCGS or NGC take that list and look for several of those coins coming in on one submission that fit those descriptions?
  • Julian, I'm so sorry for what happened. Was fingerprinting done on your car? Since they seemed to be professionals, I'd suspect gloves were worn, but sometimes they make really stupid mistakes. Let's hope they make a big one very soon.
    Will also pass the list out.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    The cameras are a good idea and need to be looked into, but I don’t think the State of New Jersey is going to take the time nor the expense to research this venue in a Grand Larceny (the perps know this) Now, had there been armed robbery, injury to a person, then yes, the DA would be obliged to take every avenue available to solve the crime. Unless someone knows insiders to the legal process in the state, county or city it happened in, don’t hold your breath with an investigation.

I think Julian is smart enough to know all this, but keep the suggestions and ideas coming in and spread the word. If this information gets blanketed across the area and outwards, there is a chance of recovery.

Note: A private investigator can obtain all this information on behalf of the client.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • I started a thread on Coinhood, hopefully that will help, and maybe somebody can start a thread on Cointalk as well. Anything to help a fellow member image
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a bulletin I've made to be faxed out to major coin dealers on the east coast that I know of... Please pass along the list...

Talked to Julian, he seems to think it was a very professional job. They knew exactly what to take... If you would like a formatted version, please email me at cpcsales@aol.com

Stolen Coin Alert 10/11/09

Coin Dealer Julian Leidman’s car was broken into while returning from CoinFest in Stamford, CT. Car was broken into few hours ago in Pine Brook, NJ. Taken was virtually the entire inventory including several significant coins.’

Julian is known for handling some of the world’s most significant coins. Stolen were several coins in the 6 figure range. A true numismatist, many of his coins are raw, ungraded coins. If you are approached about purchasing any significant coins, raw or graded, please notify Julian at: 301.785.5640

Partial List Includes:

Large Cents:

1794 AU
    1816 Proof-Like Brown Unc
    1854 Choice Unciruclated

Three Cents
    1862 PCGS MS-64 Toned 3Silver
    1871 PCGS MS-64 3Nickel
    1884 Proof like – BU

Half Dimes
    1797 Gem Uncirculated
    1797 13 Stars
    1829 Proof Like Unc
    1830 Gem BU
    1833 Gem BU
    1837 No Stars BU DMPL
    1862 BU
    1864 NGC MS-64

Nickels
    1913-D T1 BU Gold/Blue Paina
    1919-D PCGS MS-64

Dimes
    1805 Choice BU
    1829 NGC MS-65
    1833 Gem BU
    1835 Gem BU
    1837 No Stars Gem BU
    Halves
    1829 Gem Unc
    1832 Proof
    1902 Gem BU
    1906-D PCGS MS-64
    1911-D Gem BU
    1918-D Ch BU weak centers and head
    1929-D PCGS MS-64
    1934-S PCGS MS-64

Dimes Con’t
    1855 BU
    1864 Gem BU
    1874 PCGS MS-63
    1892-O Proof Like BU
    1893 BU
    1893-S PCGS MS-64
    1894-O BU
    1895 PCGS MS-63
    1901 ANACS MS-63

Twenty Cent Pieces
    1875 Proof Like
    1875-CC Gem Unc

Quarters
    1815 Gem BU PCGS-63
    1825 4/3 PCGS MS-64
    1838 NGC MS-64
    1861 PCGS MS-64
    1881 PF
    1885 Gem BU
    1887 Gem BU
    1917-S T1 FH Gem BU
    1918-S PCGS MS-64 FH

Halves
    1806 Gem Proof Like Unc
    1807 Gem BU Small Stars
    1822 Gem BU
    1826 Gem BU
    Dollars
    1795 Flowing Hair XF
    1853 NGC MS-63
    1859 NGC PF-65 Cameo
    1859 NGC MS-62
    1862 CH Unc
    1863 Ch Unc
    1868 Gem PF

Also included but not listed are rare Morgans/Peace.
    Type Gold
    20+ Patterns.

Please go to: JulianCoin.com to see full inventory.

Any information on these stolen coins please call: 301.785.5640

### >>

Damn !!!
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank God Julian is OK.

I hope we can put the collective power of the forum to work and get as many eyes as possible looking for these coins.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Julian I am certainly glad that you are OK. This was a classless act and I hope every one of your coins are recovered.

• << <i>if you have any information for me.

Many thanx.

Julian >>

Sorry to hear the bad news I've posted a thread on CoinSpace.com we'll be on the look out as well.
    Leidman inventory notice
    Greg Bose
    CoinSpace.com Founder
    www.coinspace.com
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Was the 1892-O BM Proof Morgan among the coins? If so, I believe I attributed it as a VAM-10, though that should hardly be necessary for identification.

Julian had such a broad inventory that assuredly something will be identified as the material surfaces. The disparate nature of the inventory also means it wasn't a contracted heist for a collector. Serial numbers of the notes would be very useful. They would stand out as the easiest to identify as long as that information is available. I would suggest not listing them on a very public place though, but that is a tough judgment call to make.

Hope for all the best in the recovery. I have no doubt that some of this will be located. This is not like the du Pont coins that hid for a long time.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    image But very glad you are OK!
    Becky
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julian: I wish you well, hope that you are alright, and am very sorry to hear that you have been the victim of this crime.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Was the 1921-D that was engraved as one of the first struck stolen? image
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was the 1921-D that was engraved as one of the first struck stolen? image >>

Yes.

eBaystore
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Well, I know that one if I see it! I hate thieves.
  • Was anyone at the show taking a "greater than normal interest" in a wide variety of your inventory? If their were cameras at the show itself, you should see if you could get a copy of those. The parking lot too. If you could pin point someone at your table and near your vehicle, that would be a good place to start. I believe you were tailed, they knew what you had and took the effort. Best of luck recovering it.
  • Julian should save those details for the police, I guess. Anyone with such info can contact Julian by PM, or contact the police themselves.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Oh, man! You can't hide coins like that forever.
  • BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    imageimage SERIOUSLY WHAT image IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE!! image
  • Was this an actual robbery or a burglary of the vehicle? The former would get more police attention.
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Hi Julian,
    Do you have a list of peace dollars that were taken ?
    I will keep my eyes open for those,
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Julian,

I just had an idea about how you could POSSIBLY get your coins back. I know that you said a laptop was stolen. Did you have your email passwords saved on that computer? If so, the perpertrator might be logging in to your email to cause some ruckus. What you should do is download a program such as Win Spy which I am told with you can send a keylogger as an .exe, .ppt. or .xls file. If the crook opens it up, I believe it will simply install the software onto their (your) computer. Then, if they go log into their Facebook or something, you've got them! You should just send them an email as if you were another dealer, and label it something that they might want to open.

PM me Julian if you might want to try it out. I can probably help if you wanted to try.

-Paul
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    On the insurance side of this debacle, unfortunately there is a fair amount of 'bad' case law on the 'unattended vehicle' issue. Most policies will contain some type of exclusion from coverage for a loss that occurs either:
    -while in an unattended vehicle, or
    -while in a vehicle not occupied by property owner or one of his employees.

One of the better known cases involved a theft claim filed by the infamous Thomas Noe. The reported case is Noe v. Homestead, 173 F.3d 581. There are several other cases discussing the same point. If Julian needs an evaluation of the language within his particular policy I'm sure there is no shortage of forum lawyers, myself included, who would be willing to give him a coverage opinion.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Bump
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file