Home PSA Set Registry Forum

86 Down--1953 Bowman Football Complted in PSA 8 or Better

Its been a great weekend--my 3rd set completed in psa 8 or better and this is a biggie--1953 Bowman Football. It seems like forever I have been looking for an upgrade of my psa 7 Horace Gillom to complete my set in psa 8 or better. The card is a killer. It is by far the toughest card in the set--a pop 2 in 8 with none higher. One was originally part of the Outcalt Collection who sold his set to MOSH. When MOSH encountered his difficulties, I contacted Rick Snyder from Mint State who was handling the sale of his collection. Rick wanted to sell the set intact but promised me a shot at the card if he changed my mind. I have no idea who owns the other. This week Rick offered me the card for a fair price and I spent a nannosecond deliberating it before I said yes. Rick has been by far the most helpful dealer to me in building my football card collection and I recommend him highly.

My set ranks 2nd on the PSA Set Registry to Rick's set with an 8.01 set rating. I will let it rest at that level. Rick told me mine was the first set completed in psa 8 or better for this issue. This represents the 5th early Bowman set i have completed in psa 8 or better--the others being 1950, 1951, 1954 and 1955. I need two cards in the 1948 Bowman set, 6 in 1952 Bowman Large and 3 in 1952 Bowman Small.

This set represents my 24th vintage or semi-vintage football set in psa 8 or better and my 86th overall. The goal continues to be 100 vintage or semi-vintage sets in PSA 8 o0r better. I appreciate the help of all collectors and dealers in helping me achieve my goal.

For a list of my sets see threads on 84 Down and 85 Down.

Jim

Comments

• macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Yes, I agree...................Mint State Rick is top deck re. Vintage Football. His service is of the highest quality, and his prices are generally very fair. Congrats J.C. on another great set in 8 or better.
  • Again image

Hands downs one of the best!
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Jim, Jim , Jim, how can anyone keep up with you ?

That is a real nice set . I wish I had the desire to collect those .

Jim-- image-- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Quite a weekend it has been, Jim. Great set completion.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thanks guys--this one feels particularly good.

The next one I really want to finish is 1951 Bowman Baseball where I have needed 1 card for quite some time.

Jim
  • kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    You must have quite the man-cave for your collection...

Joe
    Joe,

Its a pretty large room. We did a tear down of the house in 1995 and part of the reason was so I could have a huge card room.

Jim
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim,

Congrats on another great set. When you stop in St James on the way out to Westhampton you intend to bring ALL these sets so I can see them, right? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Doug,

I'll be the guy with the Brinks truck following me.

Jim
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Doug, I'll be the guy with the Brinks truck following me. Jim >>

No prob ... I'll have coffee and donuts delivered to them while you show me the cards! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Jim, congratulations on another great feat! One doesn't exactly see 1953 Bowman Football cards in PSA 8 or better floating around all the time, let alone complete a set in that GPA or higher. This is an accomplishment worthy of recognition...impressive.

You sure have some lofty ambitions. A lot of us do but you're turning ambition into reality. I think you're kicking my tail on most every set that I have registered. image

I'm glad that Rick at Mint State has been helpful to you, same as he's done for me a number of times.

Keep up the exemplary work. -Keith
    So what are the sets you're closest to finishing? Looks like youo'e short some mid-60's football sets and a lot of hockey...

Joe
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    great weekend, i missed these

congrats!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Congrats, I love that set.

I am thinking of starting one myself.
    Capecards
    "So, what sets are you closest to finishing?--Joe.

Well Joe since you asked I have 20 sets within 3 cards of finishing. None are hockey. For certain sets, the card or cards I need do not exist in psa 8 or better, in some they are exceptionally rare, and certain are tough but should be attainable. Here are the 20:

Baseball:
    1951 Bowman-Meyer(242)
    1951 Topps Blue Back-Waitkus(51)
    1962 Kahns Animal Crackers-Milligan, Morgan, Schmidt,
    1960 Leaf-Donovan(72)
    1964 Topps Stand-Up-Hunt, Baldshun, Woodeshick

Football:
    1948 Bowman-Luhn(9), Garness(90)
    1952 Bowman Small-Cook(87), Benners(93), Matson(127)
    1957 Topps-Checklist
    1966 Topps-Checklist
    1969 Tresler Comet-Johnson
    1960 Fleer-Woodard
    1964 Topps-Powell, Flores, Stover
    1963 Topps-Brown(122), 49ers Team(145), Crabb(168)
    1964 Kahn-Thomas
    1963 Topps CFL-Day(13), Checklist(88)

Basketball

1961 Essex Meats-Green
    1969 Jack in the Box-Barnes, Finkel

Non-Sport

1962 Civil War News--7,80
    1962 Barratt-Assyrian(17)
    1967 Who Am I?-Monroe(3)

Any help would not only be appreciated but handsomely rewarded.

Jim
    No 66 or 67 Philly football? 1969 Topps? It would be worth sending in some of my raw just to see if I could help.

I've got the 1951 blue back set, but it's more of a 6-7 condition.

Joe
  • GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck on the Barnes and Finkel , I know those two are exceptionally tough .

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

Joe,

The 66 and 67 Philadelphia sets are very tough with many low pops. I need 20 67s to complete in 8 or better and even more 66s.

Have 69 Topps FB raw in nrmint-plus--looks like most cards would 7. May still try to grade but thinking of trying to buy a graded 69 set in 8 or better.

Let me know if you get a Waitkus in 8.

General Jim,

More than tough--next to impossible

General Jim,

Where did you find the Barnes and Finkel?

Any thoughts on how I could get one?

Great set!
  • congrats!

any updates on your museum?

My Pujols Collection likes to travel
    Fandango,

Thanks! On my next trip to Georgia I hope to look into buying some commercially zoned property. I am also meeting with a person who operates another type of museum in the area.

Jim
  • GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Just got lucky i guess , bought a full set on ebay . super looking Barnes and Finkel , submitted them and pulled the Barnes 9 and Finkel 8 . Finally reached the top spot on that set , took me almost 3 years . All i can say is good luck they dont show up for sale to often . Jim

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

Congrats Jim,

Good buy! PLease let me know if you see either in the future.

Thanks,

Jim