Home Sports Talk
Options

Umpires

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
have they ever been worse, as a group, than this year? I think not.

Comments

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...that had to be the single worst call I've ever witnessed... >>

My thoughts exactly. I've never seen a worse call in baseball. Too bad, too- it messed up a classic Twins playoff choke.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    the little pitch tracker thing on the corner of the screen really shows the home plate ump's inconsistency.

In all of the games I've watched and yes that foul ball call was something you'd expect in Little League.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I never thought the NBA referees could be topped for incompetence...but the Red Sox/Angels AND Yankees/Twins umpires are giving them a serious run. Are THESE really the BEST umpires MLB has to offer? Really?!
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    all in the name of ratings. Im sure Bud made had a little closed door meeting with the Umps before the series even started.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Why even have a LF line ump if he is going to blow a call that happens 15 feet in front of him?....My beer league softball ump stands at home plate and can get those calls right from 200 feet away.

What I don't understand is why isn't the Twins 3rd base coach screaming his head off after that?

Baseball needs instant replay for more than just HRs. We have the technology - USE IT!
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    I would hate to see MLB stray too far from its traditional roots, and the "human element" of the game.

No instant replay required whatsoever, no manager could ever request one, but.......if the rest of the ump crew, has the guts to disagree with another, they could, optionally, review a call or two during a ballgame.

Balls and strikes are one thing, they should balance out eventually, but the fair/foul call was a game changer, as was the missed HBP on a Detroit Tiger in game 163.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    As a yankee fan I will admit that ball was not even close. The strike zone of the home plate ump was a little league zone where the kids can't hit the plate that often and you don't want walk after walk. But Major league? yikes!!! his zone was clearly 6+" or more off the plate.

Tooooo bad that when an ump calls foul ball. the ball is dead and runner stops....as this would be a good case for a review like in football.

What class of the players to not make a big deal of it all. What a great game. Hand it to the twins they played a great game. Both sides had major blunders to overcome. I still say the yankees are not coached in the fundamentals. It's basic that ****ANY**** ball hit in the air while on 3rd base with less that 2 outs....your first move should ****ALWAYS**** be back to 3rd. Gartner should never have been doubled off.

Great game for our local boy Brendan Harris
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I think that maybe they should consider giving each Mgr. 1 challenge flag per game.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that maybe they should consider giving each Mgr. 1 challenge flag per game. >>

//////////////

Fun idea, but it would not work.

The mgrs would ALL make bad-faith challenges in the 8th or 9th,
    if they had not yet legitimately used their flags.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Bring back Don Denkinger!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bring back Don Denkinger! >>

Don't forget Ron Luciano!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder if they have an evaluation system in place. Some of them need a demotion to the minors.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe what they have is a strong union.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their union is weaker than you think. Remember, a few years ago, they all quit as some kind of power play - and MLB called their bluff. They had to crawl back to work and beg for their jobs - and not all of them got rehired.