Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

why don't more people do the large cent registry date set?

are large cent people more interested in varieties? There are only 19 of us in the date set. Wish a dozen or more would jump in the standings.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Comments

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    sounds like good reasons. I just wish more would splash in. Most in this registry do not have high grade coins. After the top two the avg grading for everyone's sets is in the 30s or 40s. It is one of those lifelong endeavors. One that takes a lot of patience.

Forgot to mention earlier this group is not very active in their collecting. Since I got in it a few months ago me and the #1 guy are the only ones with updates in their sets. More competitors please! Jump in!!! We could use a dozen more.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's hard to find 'decent' examples?
    The few I have are pretty krappie.
    I may be wrong, but it seems as though large cents are either really nice & $$$, or image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just not crazy about copper except for 2 centers and IHC's. And like someone else stated, they are very expensive.
  • Options
    There are many nice examples in MS64+ from 1816 on that sren't too expensive. I personally prefer the dark brown ones. I have one red and learned my lesson on that. I'm going to sell it and replace it with a brn one in a point or two higher.

• Options
    I haven't added any new coins to my set in the last couple of months becuase I haven't found any examples in conditions I want for prices I am willing to pay. It is not for lack of trying, I have just been outbid.

I started my set last September and managed to pick up 14 coins of the 67 in the set. These can get expensive with most of mine costing over $1K.

My sets GPA is 50.5 I am not adding many low grade coins either.
    Only 2 of my coins grade below 55. However those coins are weighted much higher than the rest and bring my GPA down significantly.

Adam
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, just bought a nice PCGS AU50 1798 1c. I guess I could enter in with that...image
  • Options

<< <i>Hmmm, just bought a nice PCGS AU50 1798 1c. I guess I could enter in with that...image >>

Yes, jump in! That is a VERY nice coin. Good to hear you're in Adam. I just have 5, but added a 6th recently and eyeing a potential 7th.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me till next year. I have a low grade raw set I will be putting into plastic.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    I just bought my first Large Cent ever for type set purposes (a PCGS 1857 PR65BN CAC) from Legend. Great vibrant and original color, mirrors and eye appeal. Population very low with around 200 originally minted, and less than 100 presently accounted for. More rare than a 1909VDB MPL and at a fraction of the price. I think there are some amazing value to be found in the Large Cent series.

I'm hooked. With Christian Gobrecht as the designer, and the coin itself having 'substance', being somewhere between a quarter and half dollar of pure copper in size - very impressive at the high end, IMHO.
  • Options
    Duane,

I was looking at that coin a while ago it a great looking coin. I agree these coins are undervalued for their rarity.
  • Options
    Added one to my registry set. Picked up an 1822 AU 50.

Adam
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa... check out this 1831 1C N-7, Pop1 coin! I wish I could afford it!

http://www.brcgcoins.com/display.cfm?id=616

imageimage

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would offer an explanation... but it would not be well received

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.