Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Nice pick up - 1954 1st issue Sports Illustraded w/cards inside.

It doesn't look like these are all that rare, but I still think it was a pretty cool pick up. I don't think they sell for very much, but I'm still thinking about getting it slabbed.

Comments

• are the cards on card stock or on magazine paper? very curious!
  • Since that one is a reprint, I wouldn't try to get it slabbed.
  • I seem to remember a company offering reprinted issues of these magazines.

you may take look on inside cover to see if there is a date or copyright listed.

I believe that the original magazine had actual cards rather than slick pages. (perhaps someone knows)

• << <i>I seem to remember a company offering reprinted issues of these magazines. >>

Please see my post right above yours.
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Nice pickup!

Does it have the subscription cards in it too?

Never mind, Bill said what I was thinking.

Either way, it is a cool magazine. Enjoy!
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • did you also find a 88' fleer jordan in there?

• << <i>did you also find a 88' fleer jordan in there? >>

Yeah it was the 19th card in the pack that came with the mag.

• << <i>

<< <i>I seem to remember a company offering reprinted issues of these magazines. >>

Please see my post right above yours. >>

i was probably typing while your post appeared - look at the times image
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Your collection manager must've been sleeping at the switch when this deal went down.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The original magazine has paper card reprints. Same with the 8-23-54, 4-11-55 and 4-18-55 issues which also have Topps reprints. The 8-23-54 issue has a bunch of Yankee "cards" that were never in the Topps 54 set.

One way to tell if the magaizine is an original is to check for the magazine subscription inserts
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • mmyncmmync Posts: 678

<< <i>I seem to remember a company offering reprinted issues of these magazines.

you may take look on inside cover to see if there is a date or copyright listed.

I believe that the original magazine had actual cards rather than slick pages. (perhaps someone knows) >>

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The inside says "Copyright under International Copyright Convention. All rights reserved under Pan-American Copyright Convention. Copyright 1954 by Time inc"

As far as the subscription card question, there are a couple of different cards in there. I didn't really look to see what they said, but I can take a look at it in a little while.
  • No need to look at it. It is a reprint.

<< <i>The original magazine has paper card reprints. Same with the 8-23-54, 4-11-55 and 4-18-55 issues which also have Topps reprints. The 8-23-54 issue has a bunch of Yankee "cards" that were never in the Topps 54 set.

One way to tell if the magaizine is an original is to check for the magazine subscription inserts >>

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

The magazine has two subscription card inserts in it. Here are pics of the front and back of both of them.

• PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    The first and second issues of the 1954 Sports Illustrated magazine featured an insert of 27 pictures of cards, printed on paper stock, not baseball card stock. All of the first issue pictures were in color. Some, if not all of the second issue pictures were black and white.

The cards were actually printed on the same paper stock as the magazine

PoppaJ
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly some time back many were cutting out these cards , getting high grades from third tier grading companies and selling for a tidy sum.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

<< <i>The first and second issues of the 1954 Sports Illustrated magazine featured an insert of 27 pictures of cards, printed on paper stock, not baseball card stock. All of the first issue pictures were in color. Some, if not all of the second issue pictures were black and white.

PoppaJ >>

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The cards are definitely not printed on "Baseball card stock" The pages are pretty thin, but not as thin as the regular pages in the magazine.
  • Is this thing on?

Hello? McFly?
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Is this thing on?

Hello? McFly? >>

How can you tell, Bill? I'm just curious as I'd like to own an original one day and wouldn't begin to know what to look for. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • PM sent Chris
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    You should fill out one of the subscription cards and send it in

<< <i>

<< <i>The first and second issues of the 1954 Sports Illustrated magazine featured an insert of 27 pictures of cards, printed on paper stock, not baseball card stock. All of the first issue pictures were in color. Some, if not all of the second issue pictures were black and white.

PoppaJ >>

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The cards are definitely not printed on "Baseball card stock" The pages are pretty thin, but not as thin as the regular pages in the magazine. >>

////////////////////////////////

Hi Mike,

I have 5 original issues of the 1954 Sports Illustrated. 4 of them are in the original binders that I received them in, and the other I keep out for friends to gaze through.

Yes, the cards are on the same stock as the magazine pages, but slightly thicker. No where near the thickness of a 1954 Topps card.

If there's anything you'd like me to check from my magazine for comparison sake, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

PoppaJ
    Bill, so what you're saying is that there is a chance the issue mmync has could possibly be a reprint? What percentage of it being a reprint are we talking about here? 10%? 30%?

<< <i>I thought the reprints didn't have the subscription cards in it >>

/////////////////////////////////

Most DO NOT! There has been more than one counterfeiter that has produced copies of the magazine. Official 'reprints' actually have the inscription "COLLECTIBLE REPRINT" at the bottom of the front cover page.

The subscription inserts are located between pages 18-19, and 126-127.

PoppaJ
    mmync just PM'd me and he said he's so confident this issue is the real deal, he is willing to bet an unopened pack of 52 Topps that he can prove it within 3 minutes.

<< <i>PM sent Chris >>

//////////////////////////////

I wonder why he decided to respond to Chris' question via pm, and not want to post it publicly.

• << <i>I wonder why he decided to respond to Chris' question via pm, and not want to post it publicly. >>

Ancient Chinese secret
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's real!

Real fake...
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Stone would know, IMO it could be real.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    I vote that it's fake.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Share the wisdom Bill, wha'chu got?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>

<< <i>The inside says "Copyright under International Copyright Convention. All rights reserved under Pan-American Copyright Convention. Copyright 1954 by Time inc" >>

>>

Mike,

I'm not seeing what you say yours says. Where in your magazine does it say ... "Copyright under International Copyright Convention. All rights reserved under Pan-American Copyright Convention. Copyright 1954 by Time inc"?

On the bottom of page 2, my magazine has the following: "Sports Illustrated is published weekly by Time Inc., at 510 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago 11, Ill. Printed in U.S.A. Second class entry applied for at Chicago, Ill. Subscription $7.50 a year in U.S.A."

PoppaJ

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>did you also find a 88' fleer jordan in there? >>

lmao, another classic post

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>The inside says "Copyright under International Copyright Convention. All rights reserved under Pan-American Copyright Convention. Copyright 1954 by Time inc" >>

>>

Mike,

I'm not seeing what you say yours says. Where in your magazine does it say ... "Copyright under International Copyright Convention. All rights reserved under Pan-American Copyright Convention. Copyright 1954 by Time inc"?

On the bottom of page 2, my magazine has the following: "Sports Illustrated is published weekly by Time Inc., at 510 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago 11, Ill. Printed in U.S.A. Second class entry applied for at Chicago, Ill. Subscription $7.50 a year in U.S.A."

PoppaJ >>

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Poppa, mine says that at the top of page 19.

Here is a pick of my page 2. It looks like it says the same thing as yours. I also included a couple of pics that show the pages that have the subscription cards.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    Am I correct to say if this is real it's worth $75 net if you sell it on Ebay!? It's not like it's a rare item, right? Why would one get this slabbed? Seems like a waste of money for a very low value item!? The slab does not add value, does it? I feel like I am realling missing something here.
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently saw a slabbed one by CGC that was over $1000!!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Mike,

PoppaJ >>

Poppa, mine says that at the top of page 19.

Here is a pick of my page 2. It looks like it says the same thing as yours. I also included a couple of pics that show the pages that have the subscription cards. >>

////////////////////////////////

Mike,

My copy concurs with yours. I found it on page 19 also. For all I can see, your copy appears to be authentic. I must say though, that the cover of your copy is much darker than mine. Of course, it could be the scan.

I would certainly have it graded, as it appears to be in beautiful condition.

Good luck,
    PoppaJ

• hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    From SI swimsuit issue #1:
    You're welcome

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there's an ad in there for an HP computer, then it's likely a reprint.

<< <i>Am I correct to say if this is real it's worth $75 net if you sell it on Ebay!? It's not like it's a rare item, right? Why would one get this slabbed? Seems like a waste of money for a very low value item!? The slab does not add value, does it? I feel like I am realling missing something here. >>

/////////////////////////////////

Most of these in near mint condition sell in the $150-$300 range, ungraded, but usually with the COA and binder.

High end graded copies, sold to or won by serious Magazine/Comic Book collectors, usually are in the $850-$2000 range.

The highest graded issue, a 9.8 out of 10, recently sold for $1,900.

Slabbed mags and comics are a necessary evil to protect against the ever-dreaded forgery market, much like sportscards!

PoppaJ
  • Seems to me LSU likes to jump to conclusions. Maybe he is to busy worrying about the pending hockey rip image

Always looking for Vintage Yankees & NASCAR

Eric
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

I bought an original unopened box of SI magazines of that first issue.

Sold them out at a nice profit! (Should have bought more boxes when I had the chance! LOL!)

Paper thin inserts.

Doubt those were reprints because I was informed, as they were touted as "all original" and were from a Sports Illustrated warehouse find in the 1990s!

My guess? My purchase was about 10-12 years ago? Don't remember exactly!

rd

P.S. My point here? There still could be plenty of mint state first issue '54 SI's "floating around" out there?