1853 - Convento de Batalha

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    My first purchase from CRO!

My eighth medal.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice!! I am up to six now and want more. I got hooked about a year ago.
    Here one of mine.
  • Options
    Super nice and I admire them too.

There are 6 or 7 of them on Ebay right now that I'd love to own. But the bidding seems
    to be going out of sight, at least for me.

About $420 per for most of them with a few hours to go.......
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    Almost every one that has gone by on eBay within the last few months have been damaged in my opinion.

I don't want a Wiener medal that has been stripped to bare shiny bronze and retoned.

These medals are supposed to have a specific dark patina.
  • Options
    Well there you go.

The opinion of a person who has some knowledge of the series vs a
    novice toning gawker image

Thanks for saving me some bucks there...
  • Options
    The one going for $420 right now looks like it has shiny copper showing through on all the high spots. Makes me cringe.

It's hard to tell sometimes; that particular seller lights up the medals such that they look very reflective.
    I think i'm seeing a bizarre, cleaned and retoned surface. I'm certainly not going to spend money to find out.
    Some of these medals are indeed screwed up permanently.

But there seem to be some going a day from now that look okay.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Okay, so someone educate me on this:

Year?
    Mintage?
    # of different finishes?
    Part of a set?

Thanks in advance!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    GritsMan - The Cathedral medals of Jacques, Leopold and Charles Weiner were done in the 1840's - 1870's. They consist of 2 sets of medals, the first were 50mm medals of famous Belgian churches. The second were 59mm in size and covered European Cathedrals, Churchs, Synagogues and Mosques.

They were all done in copper, and while you do occasionally see silvered versions of the medals, I do not know if the silvering was as made or was done by others (my guess is the latter).

You can find information on these medals on Ben Weiss's web site Here and Here It's worth checking out other links of Ben's in the Table of Contents on the left.

I've never seen any figures on mintage - and yes, they are amazing to look at in hand. I'm happy mine have moved on to other collectors like gummibear for them to enjoy as much as I did.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    It is my opinion ONLY that one seller on ebay of the Cathedrals uses a shill bidder. I have closely watch a few of his/her auctions and see a very suspicious trend.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Hey, thanks Farthing! I've seen these on here before and just assumed they were all the same subject. I'm going to go look them up on the site you suggested!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Almost every one that has gone by on eBay within the last few months have been damaged in my opinion.

I don't want a Wiener medal that has been stripped to bare shiny bronze and retoned.

These medals are supposed to have a specific dark patina. >>

If you are looking to acuire a nice selection of these medals it would probably pay you to have certain dealers "search them out" on the bourses, etc.

Two that come to mind who know how to grade and steer you to quality material are MrEureka, and CRO.

CRO has recently been buying these medals and listing under 'esoterica'. They seem to fly out of there pretty quick.
  • Options
  • Options
    I love these medals! The perspective and relief makes them look like you could just reach around a pillar! Does everyone promise the diameter is greater than the thickness?
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Both pictured medals are stunning. Truly stunning! Freaking WOW!

What is the diameter of these things? I'm hoping like 4 inches?
  • Options
    The Wiener medals come in two sizes. A 59mm series and a 50mm series.

I am collecting the 59mm series.

Here is what arrived today (number nine in my collection):

Lincoln Cathedral

You need to take a loupe to these medals; the details are so fine you need a magnifying glass to see them all!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great piece!
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful medal ....Adam

When they were new were they a dark chocolate color or shiny copper ?
    If they were shiny copper they must of been out of this world beautiful with all the detail !!
  • Options
    I believe that these medals were made with a patina. After striking, they were baked for a time at a certain temperature, buried in a certain mixture.
    It made a very dark, very stable surface that did not change much over time.

I don't know the details past that. I'm not even certain where I read that.
    They have a deep brown look to them. Most of them anyway.

There is a seller on eBay that seems to specialize in what appear to be damaged wiener medals. Strange light colors and rub marks. I don't think it's all bad photos. I'm not about to spend money to find out for sure.
  • Options
    It's all your fault!!! After reading this post several weeks ago, I did a little reading at the sites listed. I view CRO's site weekly and always read the "Road Report" & "Commentary". I also review the coins but rarely look at the esoteric section. Not anymore image. Look what jumped out and grabbed my wallet!

Thanks
    Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>They were all done in copper, and while you do occasionally see silvered versions of the medals, I do not know if the silvering was as made or was done by others (my guess is the latter). >>

A bit of an old thread, but I was finally able to track down a copy of Emiel van Hoydonck's work on Jacques Wiener (Don't even ask the price image) and I found it interesting that he mentions one medal as struck in silver as well as bronze (Hoydonck-27, one of the Koln medals), not just silvered. Also, he mentions some gilded pieces that he has seen. I had always thought all of the silver pieces were just "silvered", but perhaps there are some actual silver specimens out there?

Also, I have a group of medals coming soon image I'll post pictures when I'm able to run home from school image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    If I ever get hooked into any more collecting obsessions (as if I might not image
    that St Paul's Cathedral will be the first, if it's the only, Wiener medal that I buy.

Simply awesome craftsmanship, detail and beauty!
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing your new medals! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I have a Wiener , York Cathedral for sale on the BST.image
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!
  • Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    PM sent image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Interesting knowledge, the Cathedral medals interest me as they are modern works of art created by Jacques, Leopold and Charles Weiner.

It is interesting that three individual were ceating the medals, do we know if all three were capable of creating the same quality work? It appears then that it was a family buisness. What more can u tell us.

Conclusion the quality is great of these pieces

SwK
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass