Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

NGC Crossovers to PCGS

Well found out the hard way about the NCG Crossovers. I submitted 2-1961, 1-1961D, and 1-1976D NGC MS66RD and they all came back PCGS MS65RD. I should have listened to fellow forum members, but I had to see for myself. Now I see that PCGS is having a crossover special this month...Submit 5 get one free graded. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seen it somewhere on the PCGS site. Until then, live and learn! image
Earlycoin

My E-Bay Stuff

Comments

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    The special is real. There's a thread about it on the coin forum. Sorry about your downgrades. There's been some other threads as well in the past few days about DNCs and downgrades galore. As they say on this forum, pictures would help your arguement....
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well found out the hard way about the NCG Crossovers. I submitted 2-1961, 1-1961D, and 1-1976D NGC MS66RD and they all came back PCGS MS65RD. I should have listened to fellow forum members, but I had to see for myself. Now I see that PCGS is having a crossover special this month...Submit 5 get one free graded. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seen it somewhere on the PCGS site. Until then, live and learn! image >>

Well, what'd you do? Crack and submit, or submit as is with no minimum listed? Is there a huge price difference between the two grades? And, do you still like the coins even though PCGS has a different opinion than that of NGC?

As for me, I don't care which holder my coin is in (even though I am biased towards PCGS image ). I have many MANY coins in older ANACS holders. I have a handful in NGC holders. I have never done a crossover. To me, the coins are still the same coins regardless of whose holders they are in. Now, when I go to sell them all in the future (e.g. 20 plus years down the road), I may have a different opinion. image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Just write "Cross at same or higher grade only" on the submission.

Write it in the middle of the submission in large letters, then circle it.

No problem. image
  • Options
    Well, what'd you do? Crack and submit, or submit as is with no minimum listed?

After taking some advice on the chances of the crossovers from forum members, I decided to crack and submit. That sounded better than to just submit in the NGC holder.

<< <i>Just write "Cross at same or higher grade only" on the submission. >>

I was willing to take any grade at this point. If it did not cross to my selected minimum I would not have know how much lower the grade would actually be.

<< <i>Is there a huge price difference between the two grades? And, do you still like the coins even though PCGS has a different opinion than that of NGC? >>

There is a significant different between the grades. I thought I would have a better chance with the crossover cracking them out of the NGC holder. I still do like the coins regardless of the opinion from PCGS. I used them in my registry until I decide to get a higher grade.

<< <i>As for me, I don't care which holder my coin is in >>

I will always believe that a coin in a PCGS holder get the best value for the grade. After watching how NGC, ANACS, etc....go for as far as bidding, they do not come even close to what a PCGS holder brings in. I have one of the coins on the bay right now, just to see what it brings in.
    Earlycoin

My E-Bay Stuff
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just write "Cross at same or higher grade only" on the submission.

No problem. image >>

Aw Crap!

I just remembered I forgot to write this on my latest submission! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    The default is to cross at the same or higher grade. The only time you have to write anything on the submission is to specify the lowest downgrade you would accept.

i.e., You send a 1950 NGC MS66 quarter in with nothing on the submission form, if PCGS doesn't grade it at least MS66 it is returned to you in the NGC MS66 holder.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>The default is to cross at the same or higher grade. The only time you have to write anything on the submission is to specify the lowest downgrade you would accept.

i.e., You send a 1950 NGC MS66 quarter in with nothing on the submission form, if PCGS doesn't grade it at least MS66 it is returned to you in the NGC MS66 holder. >>

As usual, 66RB is correct. On crossovers, it's all about the coin:

Edited to add: IMO to be successful, unbiased eye, know your series/type and the PCGS expectations for the grade in that series/type.
  • Options
    EarlycoinEarlycoin Posts: 110 ✭✭

<< <i>As usual, 66RB is correct. On crossovers, it's all about the coin: >>

So is it better to leave it in the slab or break it out and submit it? image
    Earlycoin

My E-Bay Stuff
  • Options
    I just sent in a PR68BN NGC it came in as a PCGS PR66RB is points down in grade but an upgrade in color. I can't figure this out........
  • Options

<< <i>

So is it better to leave it in the slab or break it out and submit it? image >>

When I send a coin in for crossover I always keep it in the slab on it's first attempt. If it doesn't cross, and I still feel strongly about the coin, I'll crack and submit raw at some point in the future. I've also sent coins back in the holder. Just depends on the value and how strongly I feel about the coin. If you send a coin in with a grade at any, this can happen: image

• Options
    Assuming one does not specify and instead leaves it at default, what happens if you have, say, a copper coin of any sort that is graded MS65RD, and PCGS would grade it MS66 but RB? Does a numerical upgrade but color scheme downgrade still cross? Although I suspect it's not a common problem, I can see it happening, especially if it's an older holder made by a third tier company.

Similarly, if a Mercury dime graded MS65FB by another company grades MS66 but not FB by PCGS, does it cross?
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Assuming one does not specify and instead leaves it at default, what happens if you have, say, a copper coin of any sort that is graded MS65RD, and PCGS would grade it MS66 but RB? Does a numerical upgrade but color scheme downgrade still cross? Although I suspect it's not a common problem, I can see it happening, especially if it's an older holder made by a third tier company.

Similarly, if a Mercury dime graded MS65FB by another company grades MS66 but not FB by PCGS, does it cross? >>

I think in that instance, PCGS would get on the phone with the submitter and see what they would like to happen.

Well, Thank You LeeG. Remember though, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a whileimage
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just write "Cross at same or higher grade only" on the submission.

No problem. image >>

Aw Crap!

I just remembered I forgot to write this on my latest submission! image >>

I rechecked my submission receipt and had specified a minimum c/o grade but it didn;t matter since it didn't cross anyway.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeeG:

Congrats on the Iowa upgrade, however, there is a certain value with older holders- I would have left all of those in the older NGC holders. The 1833 1/2 was in the older Hallmark slab- how often does one see a Hallmark slab?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LeeG:

Congrats on the Iowa upgrade, however, there is a certain value with older holders- I would have left all of those in the older NGC holders. The 1833 1/2 was in the older Hallmark slab- how often does one see a Hallmark slab? >>

Do you think the NGC fattie holders command enough value that it's not worth it to cross (i.e. - do they trade at PCGS values anyway)? I'm having this mental debate for the crossover special...
  • Options
    When it comes to old holders, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to crossovers or crack outs. Some folks collect the old holders and some purchase them to try and get into PCGS holders. You can see here what my preference is. image